Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Inflatable Kayak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Joyride4life

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Inflatable Kayak

Looking for an inflatable kayak, not sure what budget yet, but lets say from £100 to £500. Anyone got one and able to advise on the pros and cons and how those change as you go up the price bracket?

I'm thinking of using it on slow flowing rivers in summer possibly with SWIMBO and definitely with one of the kids (them sitting and me paddling).

Several brands out there, Sevylor seems to be widely available and have spares.

Post #12470564th Mar 2014 4:14 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

I had one of these, looked at Sevylor, expensive but very well made...In the end I went for a 3 seater, heavy duty one off eBay.....not a real makers name. But it lasted us two lovely summers using it in the Gower Thumbs Up

Then I took it to North Devon and killed it on some rocks Shocked

Life vests are a must with kids etc, I also had a small anchor with mine, so I could fish while stationary out at sea.

There are a few on eBay, and some decent 2nd hand ones with all the kit included (Battery powered motor may also be an idea for you)

Not sure if any of that helped Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #12470624th Mar 2014 4:24 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Friends of mine use Advanced Elements Kayaks....
http://www.advancedelementskayaks.co.uk/

very sturdy,well built and track very straight in comparison to other makes they've tried.I was also surprised at how quickly they got the chambers inflated...I haven't had a go yet,but I asked them about them at length,as I'm thinking about one at the moment.
I cant comment on river use,as they've only used them on the sea though Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #12470634th Mar 2014 4:24 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

http://www.gumotex.com/inflatable-boats
i have a Baraka http://www.nafukovacilode.cz/nafukovaci-raft-a-clun-baraka-1
they are about £800 ish but the best
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #12470694th Mar 2014 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Joyride4life

Those advanced elements kayaks look like the dogs Censored

I've been down to decathlon to look at some of the Sevylor ones, which was useful as I had a sleeping child in the car and they had put them outside for viewing. No need to remove child! Result Thumbs Up

As for buoyancy aids I'm thinking about getting something comfortable that I could wear and use in case I fell in whilst wading when fishing. For the other passengers (the kids in particular) I already have some full lifejackets with head collars and leg straps.

Some of the ones I saw at Decathlon didn't have a centre keel but I understand you can buy a sort of clip on fixed rear rudder for those without which is useful. As for electric motor.... maybe later.

Post #12470734th Mar 2014 4:44 pm
Joyride4life

Those Gumotex look Censored great! I knew this place was bad at showing you what you want to have, and then showing you something better that you really do want to have.

So how well do these things paddle compared to a rigid kayak or canoe? Presumably it does depend on the fabric and the rigidity as well as shape, but in general are they frustratingly poor (slightly better than a seaside dingy? ) or manageable?

Post #12470774th Mar 2014 4:49 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

Yes, most now have a fin/keel at the bottom, so it help keep you going in a straight line, but the wind can be an issue, especially side wind etc....whatever the make, you need to be careful with the offshore winds.....part of the reason I got myself a smal anchor was to drop if there were any potential issues.

Much, much better than those rubbish dingy things though - and of course the rigid the better - you get what you pay for Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #12470804th Mar 2014 4:59 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

I bought the Sevylor Colorado last summer (not the current yellow/white model, but the green/grey one) which we've only used a couple of times on the river Spey and on Loch Morlich. It appears to be very robust in construction, easy to inflate and the kids love it. We hope to get more use out of it this summer. from memory I spent about £450 for the kayak, but quite a lot more than that on good quality life vests for all the family Thumbs Up

And when all packed away in its carry bag, it just fits perfectly behind the third row seats in the D3/4 Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #12470874th Mar 2014 5:17 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I would be looking for a used, rigid, sit-on-top for that sort of money. Thumbs Up

Not a fan of inflatable kayaks, personally, and never been drawn to try one out. The design of them implies that you will constantly be battling to keep it going in a straight line and you should expect to be blown about quite a bit. It is effectively a kayak-shaped li-lo with sides (but may suffice for what you want to use it for). For use only on slow moving rivers, a Canadian Canoe is what I would be considering. It's a real art paddling one of those, and something you can all learn together.

Probably more important than the craft itself, safety must always be a prime concern when taking children on or near the water. In 2010, there were over 450 kayak-related incidents around the British coastline. This included 9 fatalities. Most of these were due to people underestimating the weather or tidal conditions or being ill-prepared for being on or around the water.

As others have said, always wear PFDs. If your children cannot swim then they will need a lifejacket. If they can swim, you should get them a PFD. A lifejacket attempts to support the swimmer's head until help arrives whilst a PFD is cut to allow the swimmer to, err, swim. Each PFD should be fitted with a whistle and the children should know how to use it.

Carry multiple means of calling for help - regardless of where you use it - on your person and not attached to the boat. If you plan to use it on tidal estuaries, or on the sea, consider doing the RYA VHF SRC training and exam and buy a handheld VHF radio and know how to use it.

I'm sure you've already considered all of this, but it bothers me when I see kids messing about on water craft with little or nor consideration for safety. Always check the weather forecast and - as Ieuan has said - if there is ever any risk of offshore winds, stay away.

The Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL will happily seat 3 (two adults and a child or one adult and two children but it's not the easiest of things to lug about on your own (>30Kg) and you will need somewhere to store it. They can live outside but will need covering-up to protect them from UV damage. It's also quite awkward to get onto the roof of a D3 on your own.

Whatever craft you buy, I'm sure your kids will love it. There's nothing quite like being out on the water when the weather is fine (and when it's a bit more lumpy!) and hopefully it will provide them with a hobby/outdoor activity for life.

Beware, though. You always *need* more kayaks than you already have and it can become a frequent source of conversation with SWMBO... Whistle Laughing

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #12471404th Mar 2014 6:18 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

Joyride4life wrote:
Those Gumotex look Censored great! I knew this place was bad at showing you what you want to have, and then showing you something better that you really do want to have.

So how well do these things paddle compared to a rigid kayak or canoe? Presumably it does depend on the fabric and the rigidity as well as shape, but in general are they frustratingly poor (slightly better than a seaside dingy? ) or manageable?

They are very good there is some good vid on u tube if you google it i am sure you will find then good river runers
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #12471444th Mar 2014 6:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Portabote

I have just sold our PortaBote ..pity. its just what you need.

brilliant for the family and fold as flat as a surf board.

I had racks on the side of the roof rack to slot it in to and only sold as I had another boat project on the go.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

CC
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #12471554th Mar 2014 6:32 pm
richuk

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Those other makes are good,but of course this is what you really should be on the look out for. Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat 

Post #12471644th Mar 2014 6:47 pm
richuk

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Woolmeister wrote:
For use only on slow moving rivers, a Canadian Canoe is what I would be considering.

Rivers like this one? 8)
Click image to enlarge

Woolmeister wrote:
The Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL will happily seat 3 (two adults and a child or one adult and two children but it's not the easiest of things to lug about on your own (>30Kg) and you will need somewhere to store it. They can live outside but will need covering-up to protect them from UV damage. It's also quite awkward to get onto the roof of a D3 on your own.

Got one of these in my collection too. Nice family boat, but as Steve says is heavy, not only to load, but also heavy to paddle alone. Great for family use though. Very stable and good fun. If you buy one, get a trolley too. (Effectively a pair of wheels you strap to the boat).[/img]

Woolmeister wrote:
Beware, though. You always *need* more kayaks than you already have and it can become a frequent source of conversation with SWMBO... Whistle Laughing

Very True! I'm currently at 5 boats, but only because I sold 2 last year! Embarassed
 Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat 

Post #12471704th Mar 2014 7:07 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

yes

Post #12473844th Mar 2014 10:04 pm
Joyride4life

Woolmeister,

As a now former maritime engineer I'm quite aware of offshore conditions, and as such there is no Censored way I'm going to take an inflatable kayak offshore... I'll leave that sort of action to proper boats.

I'm more concerned with something I can paddle down a river and across lakes and pools. Life jackets are age and ability appropriate, but it was sort of wondering what people thought was reasonable in terms of quality and cost and durability.

If I was doing this more regularly I would buy a solid hull with a set of wheels, but thought the convenience and portability of an inflatable would be a good starting point. How hard are they to paddle along compared to your rigid hull? I understand slightly longer paddles are advantageous because of the width of the side tubes.

Post #12474024th Mar 2014 10:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >