Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Inlet manifold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mairs00@@

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
Inlet manifold

So new to owning a D4 we have had 2012 for 8 months with no issues until loss of power, restricted performance and noisy idle this week.

Called the AA they had a looked and said it was inlet manifold and to have this looked at .

Took it to garage and they repaired it, on the way home it lost power and was even noisier than before it sounds like knocking on the passenger side ?

I rang the garage they said it's not safe to drive, who I won't be doing now.

But what are my options now new inlet manifold ?

The cost to remove the body £1350 not sure about the works ?

Post #231550518th Nov 2022 7:29 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Mairs00@ and sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you search on here for inlet manifold there are a lot of posts and lots of advice. I would suggest getting a smoke test to determine if you do have a split manifold. It would also be useful to get the error codes read. I'm not sure you can "repair" a split manifold but others with more knowledge will advise.

It is recommended that you replace both both inlet manifolds on the basis that if one has split the other is most likely to split as well. Cost for replacing both manifolds seems to be £1,500+

I don't know what the knocking might be but again if you get the error codes read this will help with diagnosis.
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #231559719th Nov 2022 4:09 pm
Mairs00@@

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

thanks for the reply the aa came out and plugged it in and said it was dpf and that it needed a good run ?

so took it for a run but got engine management light appear, restricted performance mode and not able to go above 30 mph.

We took it to the garage who said they could repair it, on the way home yesterday it was fine no issues at all in fact it was the quietest it has even been then about a mile from home the knocking started and restricted performance mode again but it has no oomph at all now at takes a while to build up speed. so managed to get home have rang the garage who have now said they will recover the car and check it over and like you said check the error codes and then look at what is going on although they said the inlet manifold will probably need replacing now.

just concerned if more damage has been done Surprised.

I went out and started it up this morning very noisy and it sounds like flapping under the bonnet very noisy idle and service required light now.

Post #231559919th Nov 2022 4:21 pm
mrexiani

Italy 

Ffirst of all, happy new year to all
The intake manifolds issue is a long-standing story on all v6 diesel engines, so time is also ripe to gather experience regarding the quality of the spare parts used, manufacturers and suppliers.
We know that they are made of plastic material and in theory I agree that it is an improvement choice but not all plastics are the same, not all manufacturers declare thicknesses and mechanical characteristics of their materials. Plastics are generally subject to an "aging process" especially when exposed to temperatures (transformation of hydrocarbon chains towards carbon crystallizations) that involve and evolve in manifold capacity to manage pressure and temperature variation. In practice, my question is for anyone with experience of different and multiple installations whit evidence of quality and service life on different suppliers and manufacturers in these spare parts
Thanks for the reply

Post #23208061st Jan 2023 10:04 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

This is what I was told about inlet manifolds when I had to change them.

They are made in 2 parts which are then bonded together.

The earlier ones had the two parts made of different thickness plastic, which ultimately lead to failure along the seam where they were joined.

The ones LR now sell have the thicknesses the same, so in theory, the problem is solved.

Only time will tell.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #23208191st Jan 2023 11:42 am
LaSource

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I’m sure I’ve had replaced manifolds fail as well. Always wondered whether LR had managed to engineer the problem out or keep churning out faulty designs (I guess good for the parts and labour business)

To the OP with the noisy car, also check the main driveshaft under the car. I had a problem with this previously where one of the knuckles degrade I think - you get noisy noises, loss of drive, errors, etc.

Post #23208211st Jan 2023 12:00 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I know people are struggling to find independent mechanics to work on the d3/4s. My mate who did my oil pump on our d3 and has worked on a few other people's cars on here, hpfp, Lower control arms etc etc and what he doesn't know about these cars isn't worth knowing has said via me people can get in contact with him. Hope that's OK site admin. He is in Kent you can usually drop your car off at his Friday afternoon and collect dat or Sunday depending on work required.
Pictures are from my full fat m62 engine rebuild he did for me to show his level of skill.

Click image to enlarge

Post #235662722nd Dec 2023 10:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >