Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Installing Heated Seats - Heating element already there?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Quicksquig

United States 2007 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Installing Heated Seats - Heating element already there?

Hi, I have a 2007 LR3 without the cold climate pckg. It's getting cold now (17* today) and I sure wish I had heated seats. I've been looking at aftermarket kits and they are very reasonable. But, somewhere, I came across a bit of info regarding Land Rovers with leather seats. Apparently, they already have the heating elements in the seats, so all you really need is to have switches wired to them. Very Happy

I wanted to know if that is true? Question I could not find any topics in the forum covering it.

I can't look at the moment because I'm laid up in bed after knee surgery this week. So, thought I do some checking online.

Has anyone installed heated seats? Question

THanks
 Quicksquig!  
Post #2305123rd Dec 2007 8:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Welcome Quicksquig, I assume 17 is F rather than C???

Post #2305203rd Dec 2007 8:57 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Welcome Quicksquig, I assume 17 is F rather than C???

I wondered for a minute, 17 degrees is summertime for us Shocked

Post #2305243rd Dec 2007 8:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

b Censored y good summer at that!!! Shocked Shocked Big Cry

Post #2305263rd Dec 2007 9:00 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

I'd be surprised if the seats have the heating elements in them seeming as they are fairly expensive - but then we learn something new every day.

I retro fitted them to my Disco3 - If you look under your seat, there's a connector box with loads of wires coming into the back, on the front is a small nut, if you undo the nut you can pull the connector block apart. You'll then be able to see a load of connector sockets in the holder. If you have heated seat elements you should find a connector that looks like the large one in theses pictures:

The small one in the top picture connects the seat-cushion element to the seat-back element and is clipped into a hole on the underside of the seat.

Depending on the spec of your vehicle, you should have the loom in place and will just need to change the heater control unit to one that has the switches for the seats and then find the extra connector to connect to it - the fuses etc are probably also in place - they were on my vehicle.

I did have a small problem in getting the seats to work, but it came down to the driver seat having a floating earth connection - the diagnostics said "heat sensor missing - open circuit". 10forcash found the problem, the thermister on the driverseat wasn't earthed and when 10forcash fitted a new earth wire it all came together.

Good luck Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #2305483rd Dec 2007 9:55 pm
Quicksquig

United States 2007 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Heated Seats

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will have to get in there and look. Unfortunately, just had knee surgery so not too useful at the moment. Big Cry I am hoping the answer is yes.
 Quicksquig!  
Post #2306034th Dec 2007 6:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Disconutter, did you have to fit a heated seat controller module, or just the new switch panel? Do the switch panels that include the seat heater buttons have an extra connector? The dash is apart for another mod right now, so I'll search for the wires and connectors tomorrow. Thumbs Up
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3177964th Jul 2008 10:42 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

As long as the wires and pads are there, all you should need is the Heater Control unit which has the switches built in - these are quiet expensive new, but shoup around on ebay or chat to Nick (TLO) he has a contact for something from a Breakers near Glastonbury - I recently got some bits from him of a HSE, very resonable and as it's a HSE chances are he'll still have the controller. If I can dig out the contact details I'll add another post, if not ask TLO.
Post #3178845th Jul 2008 4:41 am
ridgeback_moor

The climate control switch panel fitted at the moment (without heated seat buttons) has 3 connectors plugged into it. Is that the same for the switch panels that include the seat heat switches? I opened the connector under the seat and can see that the vehicle loom has the seat heater wires, but there are no pads in the seat at the moment. How much of a job was it to fit the heater pads, and what sort of price are they?

If the pads are fairly easy to fit then I'll go ahead and try this mod.

Does anyone have the seat heater control circuit diagram?
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3179275th Jul 2008 10:34 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

There is a separate connector at the back of the control unit for the heated seats, you'll probably find it's tied back on the loom of the other connectors. The pads from memory were around £70/seat but talk to Nick (TLO) and I fitted them to basic cloth seats in about 60-75 minutes per seat. That include removing the seat from the vehicle and taking it apart i.e. first the seat, then the back. You need to remove the covering material and the Hog-clips are a real pain to get back on so be warned - I used a 90degree bent pointynose pliers and a straight pointynose to get them back on.

Apparently the more up market sets with armrest, leather and electric are a real pig to do - that's from an LR technician.
Post #3179885th Jul 2008 4:47 pm
ridgeback_moor

Thanks for the reply. I can't find an extra connector anywhere in that area, but there are definitely wires in loom under the seat for the heaters. Odd. So on a heater control with seat heat switches, there will be 1 more white socket than I've got on my current unit? Pic of my switch unit here, with 3 sockets:
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3180875th Jul 2008 9:28 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Here's the pictures of the unit I fitted:

Note the extra one on the right. The Male-Connector may be taped over so it's completely hidden further back along the wire (The vehicle I used as a reference I had to trace back about 6-8" from the other connectors which took it behind the frame that the control unit sits in. What model spec is it you have: basic, SE, HSE or what? The thing is, if you have a basic low-end wiring loom you would have the heated seat wires and you'd have a much bigger, more expensive job on your hands. A loom was about £140, but as you have to take all the dash and sub-frame out to replace the loom, I trimmed the required wires out of the new hi-end loom and then spliced them into the vehicles loom - several hours work, and not for the faint hearted.
Post #3182656th Jul 2008 2:23 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just a note but it is connected with the original question.

If anyone has had the problem with their seatbases sagging and had it rectified under the relevant TSB.ISTR that part of the TSB metioned that the cause of the sagging seats was that LR left out a few clips holding the upholstery rigid or stretched so as to allow fitting of the heating pad or element.So if anyone has had this carried out under warranty then they will have to be removed UNLESS of course what was used to replace is heater element friendly.

Post #3182806th Jul 2008 2:53 pm
1972emanuele1972

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
connectors

could someone help me trying to catch the 4th wiring useful for heated seats?
regards

Post #40933226th Jan 2009 3:34 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Hi Frederic,

Do you have SatNav or the Premium Radio? If not, you may not have the require wiring-loom with the heated seats connector - but don't panic, it's still possible to do. I did it the expensive way and bought the wiring-loom from a HSE and the cut out the connectors and wires I was missing and spliced those into the loom in my vehicle. But apparently, according to 10forcash, it can be done another way, although you'd have to contact 10forcash about that as I don't know how.

The connector for the heated windscreen in our basic 5-seater was on the left side behind the controller unit should be just out of sight in the central console area. As my vehicle is a basic 5-seater I would think they all come with this. The connector was covered with the same black tape that the wiring-loom is taped together with, I just had to strip it back a bit to discovery the connector.

As for the connector under the seat, you'll need to undo the 8mm hex-headed bolt on the little black box you mentioned and then pull the front forwards - remember to do this carefully and only with the ignition off as these connectors include your Airbag connections.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by MrH on 27th Jan 2009 8:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #40947926th Jan 2009 7:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >