Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Instrument cluster failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
v12ddc

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Instrument cluster failure

I've recently had the compressor replaced on my 56 plate disco 3 se at the dealer under warranty. Since the replacement I've had numerous starting issues. Occasionally when inserting the key into the ignition the central locking will pulse open and closed and the display on the dash will show numerous faults such as hdc not available or parking brake problems. At the same time the stereo display will show system fault vehicle shutting down. After numerous attempts of locking and unlocking over a 5 or 10 min period the car will start and all faults disappear. After the failed starting attempts the compressor becomes really noisy.

I've taken the car back to the dealer who have re positioned the compressor and checked the battery and charging and found no issues.

A few days ago the vehicle showed the same faults whilst driving and I lost the electrics such as lights, radio and sat nav. The vehicle automatically turned on the hazards. Whilst this was happening the vehicle didnt lose any performance and was driving normally.

I stopped the vehicle and again couldn't restart. After a while I called the RAC out who again checked the battery, alternator and tried to start using a jump pack which had no effect. The RAC connected the laptop and the only fault showing was P1623 which I believe is immobiliser related. Whilst getting the vehicle recovered to the dealer the car started again and drove normally.

After a couple of days of fault finding at the dealers they have come to the conclusion that a new instrument cluster is required at the cost of £650! Strangely this isn't covered under the landrover select warranty.

Has anyone else had a problem like this and did the instrument cluster need changing? What other systems does the instrument cluster incorporate? I've never had issues with the gauges or displays playing up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post #114676622nd Aug 2013 8:54 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would get them to re-flash the software to ipack first to see if that cures it before replacing it

Flack

Post #114677122nd Aug 2013 9:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have spare instrument cluster somewhere - not an easy swap - but could be done?

Post #114690122nd Aug 2013 2:54 pm
v12ddc

Thanks for the input.

It apparently had a total communications failure. I'm now the proud owner of a new cluster. I've still got the old one which I'm going to get checked out to see if its useable as a spare.

Post #114695722nd Aug 2013 6:30 pm
Pete the dig

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3
Immobiliser problems

Hi there,did the cluster fix it,mines doing exactly the same thing,main stealer have said £2650 may fix it but may not,that's for 3x new ecu's

Post #11845168th Nov 2013 9:09 pm
v12ddc

Yes the new cluster did fix the problem. It was £650 from the main dealer fitted.

Post #11847309th Nov 2013 10:02 am
Pete the dig

Thanks

Post #11849629th Nov 2013 5:59 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Immobiliser problems

Pete the dig wrote:
Hi there,did the cluster fix it,mines doing exactly the same thing,main stealer have said £2650 may fix it but may not,that's for 3x new ecu's

For that price, I would ask them for the ecu part numbers numbers, and buy second hand, there are plenty on ebay and brakers yards for sale, i think most are plug and play.
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #11851269th Nov 2013 10:37 pm
Pete the dig

Thanks,all fixed!! And cost not 1penny,robbing gits!

Post #118833315th Nov 2013 10:11 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

@Pete the dig

For the benefit of other members can you tell us how it was fixed..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #118834015th Nov 2013 10:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WJL-D3

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I have a Disco3 07 that recently had a problem with the dash cluster, the cluster had an intermittent power failure problem, everything still worked by the dash cluster would go dead! some times it would go out for 1 to 5 seconds and other times it could be longer, no pattern to the faults, at first i was thinking loose leads, but no this is not the case.

I started with my main dealer- asking questions first before putting disco into them, they said they had never seen the problem! they informed me that it could be the power unit or the cluster, both very expensive, so I started searching on the net and found this forum which was a great help, where there were many people with the same problem, some sent their vehicles to their mechanics which did not solve the problem.

In the end I found that some had found a fix with a company in the UK called AUTOTRONICS through another person who was from Australia- sending their dash cluster to Autotronics.

I removed the dash cluster myself which was tricky but easy enough, which a mechanic would charge you maybe 1 or 2 hours labour for??. (There is others on here that have put up listed instructions on how to remove the dash cluster which aided me in doing so)

I sent off the dash cluster to Autotronics after following the website instructions and after paying (only £150). I received it back within a week, refitted it and the dash cluster i have to say is still fault free (ATM).

Should you have the same issue, I would highly recommend AUTOTRONICS for electrical system fixes, they deal with not just dash cluster issues.

www.Autotronisc.co.uk

sales@autotronics.co.uk
0116 276 7054
223 Belgrave Gate, Leicester,
Leicestershire, LE1 3HT (UK)

Post #197449016th Aug 2018 9:46 am
GreenMedic

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Corris GreyDiscovery 3
Instrument cluster fault

Hi, I’m having the same type of issue with my 2008 disco3. While driving it will have the door locks do the flappy lock and unlock bit with all the dash electrics going out and the hazard lights start flashing! The vehicle continues to drive and dose not go into limp mode. When stopped the vehicle won’t then start and comes up with a variety of faults including hand break fault.
Local Dealership have redone the software and within 5km of leaving the dealership it was doing it again. Their next suggest is replace the dash instrument cluster! And the £1000. Cost for that!

I can get a second hand cluster from a Vehicle being broken up.
Are these cluster units easily a plug and play unit or do they need software codes specifically for the individual vehicle??

Post #212417627th Feb 2020 12:40 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Your Autronics link was misspelled Embarassed

Corrected here.

https://www.autotronics.co.uk/

Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Last edited by Kilovolt on 29th Feb 2020 5:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #212417827th Feb 2020 1:04 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

before anything else ... get the battery/alternator checked out. these beasts do all sorts of weird stuff when volts drop. Also, battery leads need checking ... the earth strap appears to be a favourite failure point. search on here as I believe it has 3 connections.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #212418127th Feb 2020 1:07 pm
Loco02230

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

When mine started doing the same thing, i bought a second hand unit and used IID tool to convert the files from the old cluster. Was cheap and quick installation.
 Land Rover Discovery 3 2006 HSE 2.7 Zermatt Silver
"It's not leaking oil, it's sweating POWER!
DIY Mechanic (Destroy It Yourself) 

Post #212701810th Mar 2020 12:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >