Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Everything Else

Insurance claim: Is this normal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Sheepy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Insurance claim: Is this normal?

Son's car was hit by a bus last week. He was stationary at traffic lights (actually at the white line). Bus coming towards him wanted to turn right into a side road just behind him, and in making the turn, scraped down the rear corner of his car. Bus stopped, driver admitted it was his fault - said he was on his phone at the time.

Son told his insurer, who are more than happy it's not his fault, and are handling the claim against the bus company. Their insurer has directed my Son to a repairer (who's seen the car), and he's just waiting for the repairer to confirm a date for taking the car in.

And now the bus company have been in touch with him, and sent someone round to see him who's told him that he should cancel his claim and let them fix it privately. Apparently it's "in his best interests". WTF? It's already on my son's insurer's database as a claim regardless of whether he goes through with it, so how is it in my son's interests to drop the claim? He's not at fault.

I assume that this isn't normal - I've never actually had to claim off anyone for an accident.

Post #203830619th Mar 2019 11:53 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's not unheard of to settle a claim without the insurers being involved, but this has gone too far now to go back.
Let it carry on through the insurance system, if you accept a cash offer, and there are further issues, you'll have no comeback.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #203831019th Mar 2019 11:57 am
Sea Raider

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Pass the details on to your sons insurance and let them deal with it.
No doubt the bus garage have their own bodyshop.
Have you seen some of the repairs to buses?
I wouldn't let them sort it.
Ask the bus company for a copy of the CCTV from the bus as you want the driver reported to the police for being on his fone.
 200Tdi Discovery
300Tdi Discovery 50th Anniversary Edition
TD5 Discovery
TD5 Discovery (Project)
P38 Range Rover (Project)
300Tdi Discovery 50th Anniversary Edition (Project)
Discovery 3

Post #203831219th Mar 2019 11:58 am
Sheepy

Oh, I've no issue with the offer of cash to avoid a claim, it's the cancelling a claim after it's been put in the hands of the insurers, and the sending someone round to get in my son's face and seemingly to intimidate him - he's not prone to exaggeration so if he says the guy got right up in his face, I do believe him.

Post #203831419th Mar 2019 12:00 pm
The Dundonian

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Phone up Head Office, talk to someone with a bit of clout and make an official complaint about the conduct of their employee. Thumbs Up

As for them wanting to sort it out avoiding a claim, some of their excesses are well into four figures, so I suspect it’s probably cheaper for them to do it that way.

Post #203831819th Mar 2019 12:04 pm
J77

Scotland 

I assume it’s not a large bus company?

The one I work for, it would be instant dismissal for the driver and report sent to the TC and claim paid without question. If it’s just a scrape, normally it’s just a question of getting quotes and the company pays the bill. Though we still have to fill out an accident report for the companies insurers.

The driver faces up to £2500 fine and a professional conduct hearing in front of the Traffic Commissioner.
 18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240, Fuji White

20MY New Defender 110 deposit placed 

Post #203832619th Mar 2019 12:29 pm
Sheepy

It's a large bus company. But Son has just clarified, driver was on hands-free kit (talking to his supervisor about the route??), so perhaps not as bad as it sounded.

Still unimpressed with the strong-arm tactics today though.

Post #203832919th Mar 2019 12:36 pm
J77

Scotland 

Is this a Scottish based company? Blue, red, white and orange?

I know my company has a strict mobile policy, its use is banned from the cab altogether, even when stationary in a safe place.

As others have said though I think it’s went too far to cancel the claim, you can report the company if they are using bullying tactics.
 18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240, Fuji White

20MY New Defender 110 deposit placed 

Post #203833319th Mar 2019 12:43 pm
Sheepy

It's Brighton & Hove buses, apparently part of the "Go Ahead" group - so no, not StageCoach. Whilst I can understand that the company might think they can fix his car at a cheaper cost (to them), I'm a little miffed at their apparent bully-boy tactics on this. Makes me wonder if they use the same pressure tactics against lone females.

Post #203857920th Mar 2019 9:38 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Seem to remember somthing on the news about them doing this recently to somone else
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #203858020th Mar 2019 9:47 am
Stumog

Often the excess of there policy is so high £25k plus it makes no sence to go through insurance anyway. Alot of the time they just either pay the bill for a small knock or if a bigger one they buy the car and give you x on top to.settle.

It's quite common in bus companies to work outside of insurance.

As you say could have been handled alot better if your son felt intimidated

Post #203858520th Mar 2019 9:53 am
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If I was in his shoes and felt that the bus company had behaved in a manner which was in any way intended to intimidate, it would make me all the more determined to pursue the 'official' course and make them suffer as much as possible! Cheeky barstewards.

Also, I suspect that if they were given the opportunity to sort out the repair via a route of their own choosing, it would be the cheapest possible repair without any consideration given to the quality of it. I wouldn't entertain that idea for a moment. Aside from that, now that you've opened a claim with your insurers I don't know where you'd stand if you suddenly withdrew/cancelled it - but I'd be very wary of whether it would still be recorded as a 'non-fault' claim if it wasn't allowed to carry through to completion. It might not matter - but I personally wouldn't risk it. They're only interested in keeping it internal in order to save themselves money and hassle - I don't see how it would be of any benefit at all to your son, and may well end up being to his detriment.

Post #203986824th Mar 2019 5:30 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Insurance

A while ago now my wife rang the insurance about a car park bump. She decided the excess was too much and so we didnt bother with a claim (got a mobile dent man to do it for half the excess).

When we went to renew her insurance she was registered as having had an accident. So I suspect that your son having had reported it, there is no going back and unaccidenting it. Thumbs Up

In any case why would he, in my mind thats what we pay insurances for, to step up and manage the situation in the event of a problem.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #203999925th Mar 2019 8:06 am
Sheepy

Yep, I've been there too - had a girl run into the back of my Disco, did no damage to me but badly damaged the front of hers. She told her insurer who told mine - so even though I never claimed, I've got an accident on my record!

Anyway, it's all still in the hands of the insurance. The garage that assessed the car for the insurer thinks that there's alignment problems on the back, so they've taken his car away to be fixed and he's running around in a Mondeo at the moment. I bet the bus company's body shop would have just painted the bumper and left it at that!

Post #204010525th Mar 2019 3:41 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I believe a lot of bus companies sort of self insure, and just deal with accident damage themselves. I had a bus run into my LR years ago & just claimed directly off them.

Post #204012225th Mar 2019 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >