Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Insurance Quotes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
kimmea

Scotland 
Insurance Quotes

Having a tidy up woth SORNs / insurance policies etc as will only need 1 car available at this time.
Sooo I cancelled a an insurance policy for a vehicle thats been sold but not yet collected...however Im replacing it with the exact same vehicle but 1 year newer and the policy has more than DOUBLED with the same company. ( no additional claims , points, convictions etc etc )

Are we looking at higher premiums ...surely not as there must be a huge percentage of vehicles all laid up right now.
I wonder what the road ahead is going to look like for insurance.

Post #21343623rd Apr 2020 8:26 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

We had the same thing a couple of years ago. Granted there was seven years age difference, but it never seems to work the other way around does it? When I questioned it, they came up with all ridiculous excuses including “well, it’s a new vehicle to you, so you don’t have much experience driving it!”

Heaven forbid that insurance companies have to pay out and don’t have enough at the end to pay massive bonuses to the shareholders. It’s time that basic insurance was Nationalised and included in VED Or fuel etc. That way, everyone would have it plus private insurance companies would have to be competitive for people to upgrade?

Needless to say I have changed insurance companies, and this year made SIGNIFICANT savings by moving away from a multi-vehicle policy.

Post #21343683rd Apr 2020 8:42 am
Ivan

United Kingdom 

They have compulsory insurance in Australia as part of the annual Registration. Only problem is that it only covers 3rd party personal injury. It's not cheap and it does not cover your vehicle or the third party vehicle. I had to pay the compulsory insurance as well as taking out a policy for fully comprehensive to cover possible damage to my vehicle and a third party vehicle. The fully comprehensive was expensive given that they did not have to cover personal or third party injuries. I was paying $350 a year for the government insurance and $1100 for my own fully comp policy.

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #21343703rd Apr 2020 8:56 am
Sea Raider

Re: Insurance Quotes

kimmea wrote:
Having a tidy up woth SORNs / insurance policies etc as will only need 1 car available at this time.
Sooo I cancelled a an insurance policy for a vehicle thats been sold but not yet collected...however Im replacing it with the exact same vehicle but 1 year newer and the policy has more than DOUBLED with the same company. ( no additional claims , points, convictions etc etc )

Are we looking at higher premiums ...surely not as there must be a huge percentage of vehicles all laid up right now.
I wonder what the road ahead is going to look like for insurance.

Give them a phone and ask to cancel the policy and stick to your guns to almost the bitter end and see how much it falls. Doesn't pay to be loyal to these robbing b Censored s

Post #21343713rd Apr 2020 8:58 am
al cope

England 

quite often newer version of a model can be cheaper, as the security and safty features may have been improved, so outweigh the newer cars higher value.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #21343793rd Apr 2020 9:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Get a decent broker A Plan or BBDisco3 on here and they will help you avoid the hassle and heartache. Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #21343823rd Apr 2020 9:29 am
Parky63

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

nigel207,
I happened to be in an A-Plan shop (before lockdown) talking over insurance with one of their agents and the shop manager (both extremely helpful) a couple of months ago. One of the things they said to me was that you paid a premium if the car was new to you. The premium/loss analysis worked out that 105% of premiums were paid out on new to the insured vehicles in the first year of ownership.
Advice was that if you'd had insurance and driven one of these vehicles previously then tell them and they could massage the figures accordingly.
Another gem was get your renewal quote 21 days before expiry.

David
 2006 D3 HSE Buckingham Blue
Silicone Intercooler Pipe
MAP Sensor cleaned
N/S Drain Tube Elbow 

Post #21343983rd Apr 2020 10:29 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sounds like a sticky turbo actuator issue? Replacing the turbos is sledgehammer/nut if that is the case, but when dealers employ fitters rather than actual skilled mechanics and rely on their return-to-parts-supplier warranty, that's what you get.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21344443rd Apr 2020 12:43 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Parky63 wrote:
nigel207,
I happened to be in an A-Plan shop (before lockdown) talking over insurance with one of their agents and the shop manager (both extremely helpful) a couple of months ago. One of the things they said to me was that you paid a premium if the car was new to you. The premium/loss analysis worked out that 105% of premiums were paid out on new to the insured vehicles in the first year of ownership.
Advice was that if you'd had insurance and driven one of these vehicles previously then tell them and they could massage the figures accordingly.
Another gem was get your renewal quote 21 days before expiry.

David

Hi David,

I'd renewed my insurance a couple of months before buying the newer D4 (2009 to a 2016), and I did point out that not only had I been driving a D4 since 2012, I'd had a D3 before that (since 2009). I've also driven any number of them (and lots of other cars) in that time too.

In that case, it wasn't possible to get a quote 21 days before as it was the change of vehicle at the time. Last year, although the quote was MUCH higher than the 2009 car had been, the Admiral multi-car policy was still the best value. This year however (I've made no claims, had no convictions etc) on both cars together they were c.£300 more expensive than having the two insured separately (and I was getting quotes from approx. a month before renewal.

Nigel.

Post #21344553rd Apr 2020 1:23 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

back on thread to insurance renewals.. Very Happy

LV (who ive been with for few years) quoted my renewal last month, £200 more for the year and increase in excess from £400 total to £900 and increase windscreen excess from £125 to £190. When I phoned them the best they could knock off was £80 but the excesses remained high...no reason given

I switched to Admiral through compare the market, and got it for less than last years premium with LV, less excess and got the £250 free excess cover. £360 all in including a couple of extras. Thumbs Up
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21344673rd Apr 2020 2:28 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Was also a [very happy) LV customer for many years, but this years renewal saw quite a hike.
So I also did the go compare website and got Churchill insurance for £275 plus the £250 free excess.

btw LV was cheaper on go compare than I was being quoted direct with them.
They said they'd match the go compare price, but no other quotes that were cheaper.
I politely said good bye to them and advised I will move all the other business I have with them when renewals are due.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #21344693rd Apr 2020 2:39 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

LV are in the middle of selling their general insurance arm as it's the only way to raise enough capital to meet their obligations under Solvency II for their Life Assurance business - which is historically what they did best.

When they rebranded about 10 years or so ago and their motor insurance took off, they neglected to invest in the life assurance side. Now here they are, selling the family silver to put bread on the table.

My renewal comes up with them in 3 weeks. I also went to Go Compare and they came out cheapest so will be interesting to see what they quote as a renewal price.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21344713rd Apr 2020 2:45 pm
GV

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
SAGA worth a look

If you are old enough....I am, try SAGA. They were very helpful and the price was a lot better than LV. They will fix the price fo4 3 years, but I prefer to look around come renewal.

Post #214615814th May 2020 11:09 pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 

It’s time for us too at the end of the month. We’re with Admiral from last year with this multicover policy (Mine/SWMBO/house). In anticipation of it going up as it couldn’t be that good again I did the usual suspects online and for me it ranged from £275-£330. Our renewal from Admiral came through yesterday and trumped all the others by a mile for like for like details. This is even with tints, roof rack and V8 brakes declared.
 visiting from www.rrsport.co.uk  
Post #214616815th May 2020 6:03 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

My son has just renewed his car insurance. Due to uni deadlines, he took advantage of the "cancel within 15 days" rule and let it automatically renew, then cancelled. Then took out a new policy saving £250 ... with the same insurance company.

They really don't appreciate loyalty, do they?

In present climate, I thought they'd be more eager to retain customer base.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #214617015th May 2020 6:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >