Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Interior lights to LEDs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Interior lights to LEDs

There have been a couple of posts recently regarding upgrading the interior and puddle lights to LEDs

If I do all of them will this be too much. I quite like the warmth of the standard but the extra brightness will help when getting the kids in etc.

So do I:

Do the boot, puddle and just the center (front and rear) lights? Leaving reading lights as is.

Or do the lot?

Any one with some good before and after shots?

Thumbs Up

Post #156195216th Nov 2015 3:21 pm
Chobby

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I upgraded my boot light to one of the smd modules from hids4u. 12led fits perfectly in the housing.

I got mine in warm white 3000k a very close match to the original filament bulbs but much increased light intensity whilst retaining the warmth.

I'm planning on putting some 3000k 501leds I got off the bay to replace all interior bulbs. I want to retain the interior warmth of the slightly yellow light but I want it brighter. The back seats now look dark in places since the boot light upgrade, hoping to balance it out a bit. The only one I'm not going to bother with is the glovebox light.

I fitted halfrods cool white LEDs in the puddle lights, they're can bus but I bought them as they're long and fill the housing well and give a good white light output.
 Now with: Tow bar & storage, Xenon's, Remote Timed Climate, Mood Lighting, Cubby Fridge, DRL's & Mud Flaps

Accessories: Rubber Mats, Spare Wheel Cover, LR Tyre Pressure Gauge, Warning Triangle, LED's throughout & Leather Gear Selector Top

Further Planned retrofits: 13 pin Tow Electrics & Heated Steering Wheel

Possibilities: Blackvue, Rear Seat Heaters & Memory Seat

Post #156195716th Nov 2015 3:48 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I did all the lights in the roof with LED and similarly used one of the flat SMD strips in the boot light (massive difference in the boot). However I really didn't like the LEDs in the footwell or door puddle lights, didn't look right to me somehow and some have had issues on a D4 with changing the footwell lights to LED, seems sometimes they work once then not again until the ignition is cycled.

Post #156202116th Nov 2015 6:12 pm
Chobby

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thats good to know ill give the leds a go if they dont function properly it will have to go back to filaments. I replaced my number plate lights with some ring led that had 4 small traditional looking leds mounted in the top so it was very directional but perfect for the number plate. However i found the left hand one flickering the other day checked it wasn't the bulb holder. So took them out and put some different ones in. These are OK but just not quite as good. Don't know what caused the other one to go though Confused
 Now with: Tow bar & storage, Xenon's, Remote Timed Climate, Mood Lighting, Cubby Fridge, DRL's & Mud Flaps

Accessories: Rubber Mats, Spare Wheel Cover, LR Tyre Pressure Gauge, Warning Triangle, LED's throughout & Leather Gear Selector Top

Further Planned retrofits: 13 pin Tow Electrics & Heated Steering Wheel

Possibilities: Blackvue, Rear Seat Heaters & Memory Seat

Post #156203316th Nov 2015 6:44 pm
J77

Scotland 

I done them all, it's bright but that's what I'm after, plenty of light for putting the dogs in boot on dark nights. No problems with puddle or footwell lights.

Bought them all from Advanced Factors.

The only picture I have, Discos in the dealers for the week.

Click image to enlarge
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #156203416th Nov 2015 6:44 pm
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Upgraded the interior lights and the puddle lights to LEDs at the weekend. Used the COB panels for the middle (dome) lights (front and 2nd row) - very bright but just what I wanted.

Wow, what a difference!

Got them from Advanced Factors (thanks guys - great service). Easy to fit, took out the whole panel to support the bulb holders from behind as the LEDs are slightly thicker and can bend the contact pins if you try to push them in without supporting.

Didn't bother with footwell lights - not needed.

Also did the reverse lights.

Overall Thumbs Up

Post #157742014th Dec 2015 12:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >