Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Intermittent tailgate fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
OldPOP

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Intermittent tailgate fault

Rear tailgate has started playing up (works each time for a dozen presses then will not work for a similar amount)
The upper switch is working as I can hear it click and I have had a meter on it when its both working and not. But the strange thing is that when it’s working both the upper and lower solenoids react to their respective buttons and when it’s not working neither the upper or lower solenoids work on either of the buttons. No broken cables or clips so I am lost to know where to look.

Any ideas ?

Post #207980531st Aug 2019 12:41 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You could try fitting a release cable inside the lower tailgate which pulls on the upper tailgate latch enabling you to at least open it when it does fail. Then try testing the elec cons when its in the "failed state" which should yield the result you're looking for. If it fails completely in the closed position you will have a bit of butchering to do to get it open again. Fit a pull cable now and make life easier for yourself!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #207980831st Aug 2019 12:55 pm
OldPOP

An update on my progress . . . .
Searching the forum in a different way I now understand that by keep pressing the button it steps down the voltage so at some point it was bound to stop working.

Taking the tailgate cover off I can see that the membrane had been ripped and the actuator had been replaced once before as it had one new screw and one old. Then looking at the hockey stick on the latch the replacement was cracked and not far away from failing.

The new LR replacement has been improved the alumininum is now steel and it’s longer with a hexagon crimp – I wonder where they got that idea from Wink so I am confident I do not need a second backup cord

Whilst I had access to the tailgate I decided to replace the actuator with a new LR one for peace of mind but was very disappointed to find the pillars on the new part were crack when it was assembled in the factory so that’s gone back.

Post #20808084th Sep 2019 1:17 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm awaiting delivery today of an actuator for a customer. I'll be inspecting it closely but it's unusual for a new part to have such imperfections. Perhaps it was a previously returned item which had been fitted by a Muppet!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #20808164th Sep 2019 1:26 pm
OldPOP

Agreed it’s unusual on a new part but it came from a site sponsor, the lower posts were cracked as well and these do not need to be undone plus the locking compound has not been turned on the fixing screws yet . . . so to my eye a fault from the factory

Post #20808204th Sep 2019 1:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >