Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Inverters - how do you have them fitted...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Inverters - how do you have them fitted...?

As the title says...

Might go and get a (smallish - 300w or 600w) inverter. The ones I have seen have about 2 meters of 8wg (?) cable.

If I run a direct feed off the Optima and place it in the back of the D3, then it has been recommended that I use even bigger cable...which could be a wiring problem ie. getting it through the firewall (keeping in mind I already have a Traxide kit and cables taking up space).

And I need an earth ? I would think I could use one of the earthing points at the rear, in the side cubby-whole thingy.

But - if I want a laptop plugged in at the front, then I can't have the inverter at the back of the car. So any ideas for a good place to put it around the front / middle (not forgetting the earthing problem)...?

So - where/how have people fitted theirs? And any other pointers re: cable rating, size etc if I do use about 5m of cable run to the rear ?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #51040221st Aug 2009 10:51 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Underneath the middle seat in row 2, it doesn't move so you would need to remove and reinstall to do it properly, but it would give access to both front and rear, is out of the way, and would be easy to get to an earthing point and is well ventilated for cooling Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #51040421st Aug 2009 10:58 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

If you are just running a laptop it may be more efficient to use one of these rather than convert 12 v to 230v and then drop it back to the laptop voltage

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225739

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223723
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #51041121st Aug 2009 11:24 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Ideally you should run 2 cables back to the battery. It is not good practice to draw heavy currents through the bodywork of the vehicle as this may cause all sorts of earth loops for other kit as the copper in it's wiring is a far better conductor than the steel of the car. It's fine for the odd bulb or low current kit though.
If it's only a laptop & phone charger etc you want to run then a Handy Mains plugged into the rear center console cig socket and stashed under the passenger seat will suffice.
Go for the Handy Mains or similar, not the el cheapo of Eblag. (Or better still a pure sinewave out).

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...;R=0597481
Sure cheaper places to buy, for info only!

As UNG says though, if laptop only use a DC-DC converter and save all that inefficiency Very Happy
Maplin are good and also some others here:-
http://www.action-replay.co.uk/Computing/laptop_power_adapter.htm
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #51059522nd Aug 2009 11:18 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would ask Tim (drivesafe) the question.
He would know whether the cable supplied with the kit should be able to take the current. I would think it would be OK for a 600 watt inverter though.

It does take 50 amps:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/verandah/62580-t...it-d3.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #51060022nd Aug 2009 11:36 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Touching on the point made by XTC I have the traxide kit fitted but when I bought the sankey trailer I needed to charge 440aH batteries from the Yellow top. I decided to splice the twin 8mm cable together and use it as the positive feed and took my negative off the earth stud at the drivers side rear via a 16mm link To the Anderson plug. I've not had any issues so far even when the batteries have pulled
35 amp for extended periods. TBH never give the earth loop situation a second thought, I just thought that the chassis was at earth potential all the time regardless of what was connected. Sometimes I suppose ignorance can be bliss.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #51060322nd Aug 2009 11:48 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Not critical, but if starting from new best to use 2 wires. Up to 30 amps it's prob OK but once you get into 600-1000w inverters ie could be 100amps + then you may well also get voltage drops via the chassis, especially if using the small 6mm studs scattered around the vehicle. Winches etc always have a -ve feed for this reason. Don't forget a nice suitably rated trip close to the battery! Idea

Saying that I run all my kit in the back, fridge, GSM modem, rack lights and radio chargers from the 40a permanent trailer feed and 6mm stud thats already in the back locker! But why practice what you preach Laughing
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #51060523rd Aug 2009 12:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >