Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

iPod, Audio Connectivity Module and Rear multimedia controls
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
iPod, Audio Connectivity Module and Rear multimedia controls

A technical question please folks, from someone who hasn't (yet) got an iPod.

I know the Audio Connectivity Module(ACM) integrates the iPod into the car, appearing as the Aux input on the stereo and allowing track selection control from the steering wheel buttons. So far so nice.

What I'd like to know is:
1) If you have rear multimedia controls, can someone at the back select aux and control the iPod from there whilst the main stereo has another input selected?
2) Will the steering wheel controls allow the selection of a video on the iPod so that it plays (even if you can't see it).
3) For anyone who has the ACM, does the iPod connector look dismantlable in order to to 'hack' into the video out?

Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #44221422nd Mar 2009 8:25 am
stapldm

Does anyone have an LR integrated iPod kit and rear audio who could check at least questions 1 & 2 for me please?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #44304123rd Mar 2009 8:38 pm
umbertob

United States 

1) You can select the AUX audio input to listen to the iPod connected through ACM with a long press of the "Mode" button on the rear doors (or use the remote if you have RSE), but can't control iPod playback from there, since the only switches allowing some basic iPod navigation are on the steering wheel. However, you could listen to the AUX source through the headphones in the rear while the remaining passengers listen to a different source (CD, AM or FM radio, RSE) over the car's speakers.

2) No, you are still going to have to select the "Videos" source on the iPod menu using... the iPod itself. The steering wheel controls enabled by the ACM only allow you to skip forward or backwards through tracks, videos, etc (or fast forward / rewind a track or audio portion of a video), but they don't allow you to navigate back and forth through iPod menus and submenus. Whether single tracks, videos, music libraries or playlists, you'll have to select those with the iPod first. Sad

3) No idea. The iPod harness connects to this round receptacle on my ACM body, don't know which pin carries which signal, but it looks like a proprietary connector to me (the rectangular one is the ACM's USB port):
 Umberto B
2006 RRS HSE white / ebony / lux / RSE / PTI / LRD / Sirius. Going, going...
2013 LR4 HSE red / arabica / black pack / 7-seat lux / HD pack / RSE / Vison Assist / Sirius 

Post #44311423rd Mar 2009 10:14 pm
stapldm

Thank you Umberto, everything I asked for, what a star Bow down Thumbs Up

It's a bit of a blow the iPod integration is so shallow, but in fairness it's pretty much as I expected it to be. Even changing to the next video (once videos already playing) from the steering wheel would provide for my most basic requirements.

Thanks!
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #44355024th Mar 2009 8:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >