Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Ipod Causes 'Transmission Fault' Claims Dealer!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
WhatPotHole

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Ipod Causes 'Transmission Fault' Claims Dealer!

My 2006 TDV6 HSE was running perfectly, but suddenly started displaying a 'Transmission Fault' warning whenever Drive is engaged. (No problem whilst in reverse).

I took it to the local dealer yesterday and after six hours, the young lady in Service Reception called me to say that the car 'has lost communication', whatever that's supposed to mean.

They claim that as I have various electronic accessories connected, (Ipod interface, camera detector, DVD player, laser parking aid), one of the connections must have come loose and caused the 'lost communication' which is resulting in the transmission fault warning.

I pointed out that nothing electronic has been fitted to the car for 18 months and it has run faultlessly until now, but apparently the only way forward is for their auto electrician to sort things out, (presumably by disconnecting everything), and they will then continue investigations.

I don't know whether it's linked to the 'lost communication' issue, but I've also noticed since the transmission fault warning that no matter what way I adjust the door mirror controls, the mirrors only move down. However, they can be reset to the normal position using the seat memory buttons.

I was just wondering whether any of you electronics wizards have a view on the information that the dealer has given me, as I'm far from convinced that my gadgets are the cause of the problem?

Thanks,
Rob

Post #6454316th May 2010 12:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Find another dealer or try TFC. Thumbs Up

Post #6454356th May 2010 12:23 pm
WhatPotHole

Believe me, if he was more local I would have already asked Bow down TFC, as he's done another couple of jobs on the Disco for me which turned out great!

Post #6454366th May 2010 12:28 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Might be worth emailing him as he does get about a bit so may be able to sort something out. My D3 has iPod, iPhone, carpoorerthingamiebob, aux battery, Engel wiring and all sorts of other stuff with no problems. To blame it on the iPod suggests they either don't know what they are talking about or can't be arsed. Could suggest my local stealer but they are 530 miles north of you! Embarassed

Post #6454396th May 2010 12:37 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Any remote advice is going to packed with assumptions I'm afraid; no substitute for hands on!

When they say it's lost communication I assume they mean that the CANBus has picked up a fault. The gearbox and other components all need to talk to each other to keep the car running sweetly.

In theory a malfunctioning add-on that is broadcasting an awful lot of electrical noise into the cars electrics could cause such an issue, but It'd be fairly unlikely. I can however see the auto-electrician wanting to exclude all those items first; if they're hard-wired into the car then if he's worth his salt he'll check for issues at and around the hard connect points too as those are areas that have been 'messed' with in the past. It's easy to knock/stretch a connection and not see it 'cos you're working on an adjacent bit of wiring.

Much more likely that there's a corrosion issue at one of the many plugs in the car or a stone chipped wire that water got into; the 'nice' thing about the CANBus is that as it goes all over the car it can be made to fail from any of the connectors...so your gearbox issue could be caused for instance by the EPB or the traction control module or anything anywhere on the car really Sad It's about time someone figured out a way of testing/measuring where a break in the CANBus wiring actually was.

Good luck; and hope it's a quick fix Thumbs Up Definitely see if TFC has any insights; it's gotta be worth the cost of slab of beer Laughing
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #6454446th May 2010 12:51 pm
WhatPotHole

Thanks for the information.

I half wondered if the problem with the mirrors may be sending a signal back in to the system that was somehow interpreted as the transmission fault.

I'm hoping that the auto electrician doesn't take too long ruling out the various add-ons, as his time isn't covered by my extended warranty!

The sooner they confirm that the fault is somewhere within the car, the sooner the bill will be picked up by someone else, (fingers crossed)!

Post #6454496th May 2010 1:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >