Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Is my D4 3.0 diesel a smoker? And will it quit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Very similar - its triggered by hard acceleration, usually when pulling away from standstill... When I say hard I dont mean stupid foot flat on the floor stuff being really aggressive, just getting moving pretty promptly. Accelerate hard at 40 to overtake, or on the motorway, and no smoke.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #66449424th Jun 2010 9:13 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Sounds quite normal to me. The diesel you are using and the style of other driving will make a difference. I'd not be overly concerned; the dealer has looked at it, and given it a clean bill of health. If there was something wrong, there'd be smoke all the time - which you don't have.

Post #66462625th Jun 2010 7:17 am
adam

United Kingdom 

I was trying to get mine to smoke yesterday whilst driving to Bristol - normally, I'm not at all aggressive - gradual acceleration ect - could only see a cloud of smoke when I really booted it, normal acceleration – nothing.
I remember talking to TFC ages ago about a re-map and smoking – his response - all diesels smoke if you drive them like a petrol engine – i.e. snap on the throttle rather than a smooth progressive build up.
As said before, could get my D3 to smoke if I booted it, ditto for D4 – seem the same to me
Also, engines that burn oil have a distinct burnt smell to the exhaust fumes vs. normal diesel smell
747 - not really sure what you have to worry about TBH - maybe your BM did it and you never noticed - I've had diesels since 1994 and could always get them to smoke if I wanted to - one Vauxhall I had used to smoke so much on start up that you literary could not see it - THAT would be something to worry about - needed new valves and seals

Post #66463325th Jun 2010 7:38 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Gents
must disagree slightly with your comments.

Diesels do tend to smoke a little when you boot them especially if you have been poodling along, but this smoke tends to be dark grey. The smoke I am expieriencing and 747, is blue and there is a slight oil loss. As already stated LR are aware of the issue and have issued a note stating that they have a problem with the 3.0L engine in D4's and RRS. They are currently investigating the issue but have already replaced both turbos on one car in Australia which cured the issue straight away, it was also noted when they removed the turbo, there was a film of oil inside coating the inside.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #66477925th Jun 2010 2:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

Russel, you may have a different issue. Mr 747 say:

747_JK wrote:
Accelerate hard at 40 to overtake, or on the motorway, and no smoke.

If oil was getting in somewhere, you'd get smoke all the time. I would still suggest that he has nowt wrong.

On oil usage, and very different from the D3, mine has used not a drop of oil since I took delivery.....or, that's what the guage tells me.

Post #66481725th Jun 2010 4:30 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

You may be right, not sure but LR have put out a bulletine stating there is a potential issue with one or both turbos, this has been further proved by the one in Aus with the same issue, now fixed with two new turbos.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #66485825th Jun 2010 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

Not sure what bulletin you are referring to, but there is nothing on GTR (or, I should say TOPIx)

Post #66489325th Jun 2010 8:37 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Replacment turbo is part of the PQ (or whatever it is) update TSB. It has a failing solenoid.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #66496426th Jun 2010 1:52 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

I'm easily confused, but if you mean the QA programme turbo solenoid replacement, that has nothing to do with smoke, replacing a turbo etc. All that is done, and anyone could do it themselves, is to replace a small actuator solenoid, which in some cases was sticking and causing both restricted performance and a warning light.

Post #66498126th Jun 2010 8:24 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Here some are having the whole turbo replaced not just the solenoid.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #66498526th Jun 2010 8:40 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Winger - agree - D3 ate oil for first 15K - D4 - tame
747 - if you are worried - keep pushing dealer - new cars are supposed to give pleasure, not pain Thumbs Up

Post #66507826th Jun 2010 4:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >