Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Site News & Feedback

Is DISCO3.CO.UK a positive or negative ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Is DISCO3.CO.UK a positive or negative ?

So :

1. Is the forum a positive thing or negative thing for LR ?

2. Is the forum a positive or negative thing for its users ?

3. Is the general tone / theme of the forum positive or negative ?

4. Has this changed over the years that we have been here ?

If you feel positive discuss... or not if your feeling negative today Wink

Last edited by simon on 24th Sep 2007 5:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20753224th Sep 2007 5:10 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Sounds like an exam question from school... How many marks is it worth? Thud

I'll get round to that one when I'm finished my current workload (which I'm currently drowning in Sad Sad - so please excuse any absense from the forum I may have for a day or so.. Sad )
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #20753524th Sep 2007 5:13 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'd like to know whether it is a positive or negative thing for owners and prospective owners rather than LR... Question
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #20753724th Sep 2007 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

Simple answers will do if your too busy CY Wink

Post #20753824th Sep 2007 5:14 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

1. Land Rover should view it as a positive. They should take all the negatives and turn them into positives.
2. The forum I think has a very positive feel. Most people are enthusing about the product.
3. No, I think we are all as keen. There is less to talk about at the moment. Maybe the model facelift (? whenever that may be) will encourage more on-topic discussion

Post #20753924th Sep 2007 5:16 pm
simon

Martin wrote:
I'd like to know whether it is a positive or negative thing for owners and prospective owners rather than LR... Question

Added Bow down

Post #20754224th Sep 2007 5:18 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
1. Land Rover should view it as a positive. They should take all the negatives and turn them into positives.
2. The forum I think has a very positive feel. Most people are enthusing about the product.
3. No, I think we are all as keen. There is less to talk about at the moment. Maybe the model facelift (? whenever that may be) will encourage more on-topic discussion

Thumbs Up
4) wrt. to item 3, the vehicle is very reliable, so we have less to bitch and moan about, and tbh most of the problems are exasperated by the dealers.

Post #20754324th Sep 2007 5:23 pm
gilmore

England 

Perhaps not. Reasons include:
-Discussion of the D3's issues and problems may scare off prospective buyers.
-Making owners aware of TSBs and known faults may increase warranty claims to a higher level than if owners were ignorant of the facts

Absolutely, positively yes, yes, yes.
Reasons include:
-Discussion of the D3's issues and problems enable users to minimise impact (e.g. the rear door problem getting nipped in the bud by early inspection)
-Making owners aware of TSBs and known faults mean the dealers can't bulls**t us.
-Sharing tips and tricks is very valuable
-social/off road events are brilliant fun and are an opportunity to get the most out of our vehicles
etc
etc

Generally very positive and supportive. Thumbs Up

I was about the 32nd member, joining in Jan 05 and I don't think it's changed much (though I have a pathetically low post count considering how much I use the site). Many of the same names have been supporting it from the start - Slimer, Gareth, 10forcash, DickGriff (sorry -DG) etc... and they still continue to contribute enormously... Bow down Bow down Bow down

Keep on keeping on chaps!

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #20754524th Sep 2007 5:37 pm
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Is DISCO3.CO.UK a positive or negative ?

simon wrote:
So :

If you feel positive discuss... or not if your feeling negative today Wink

1 and 2:
I think the forum is very positive and beneficial for both LR and current/prospective users. Above all it shows that almost all users are very happy with the D3, aside from some minor quirks/issues. It also shows how extremely flexible the D3 is, from serious off-roading to day-to-day family and business use. In any case, this forum helped me on my way to do things with the D3 that never crossed my mind when I first bought the car Mr. Green
If LR would fix the minor issues discussed on this forum (both with the car and the support organisation) it would be an even more perfect car.

3: In general the forum is very positive

4: Not really, but there are fewer serious issues with the car now, so fewer unhappy members
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #20754624th Sep 2007 5:39 pm
gilmore

England 

BTW: a couple of dealers I've been to are quite negative about the disco3.co.uk site. They reckoned it was full of moaners. I don't know where they got THAT idea from.

Perhaps they prefer their customers to be under-informed and malleable.

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #20754824th Sep 2007 5:46 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I think it is positive for LR as it is promoting the extended use of the D3

Definately positive for the users, I have learned a massive amount and enjoyed meeting a lot of new people. Would be a bit lost without it TBH (sad I know)

General tone is normally very positive

Has it changed, yes a bit as many of the initial posts covered accessory fitting, new experiences etc but I still think it is a great reference point for existing and potential owners
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #20754924th Sep 2007 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It should be positive as they can guage which issues are causing the most agro and in many cases find solutions based on our own experiences and fixes. If they're considering it as negative, then they're muppets and treating their customers issues with disdain will eventually kill the business. This forum represents the largest group of test drivers that the car has - it would be folly to ignore it.
I bought a D3 not on the basis of the glossy adverts, but on reading the content of this forum - good and bad.

Very positive. Forums are a focus of issues and problems, with many only considering posting when they have problems. This forum is awash with technically adept and helpful people, so many issues can be fixed without resorting to dealers - who themselves range from saintly to devil incarnate. Most technical issue threads on here have a happy ending. An old adage about a problem shared is a problem halved definitely has merit.

Very positive - see 2, and also the banter and exchanges that take place here. This is a great place to be, and if it wasn't our spouses wouldn't have to complain about all the time we spend on here.

I don't know - I'm a relative newcomer, but I can see the whole tone of the site changed once the summer of 2006 software fixes started rolling out and making happy D3's where previously they were lemons.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #20755224th Sep 2007 5:55 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Self help is the best form of support. Think of a large funnel, if the biggest part of the funnel is this forum, then we help each other with understanding the isuses, which in turn means there should be less numpty issues for the dealer network to deal with.
LR should also use these to their advantage to get the good things and the bad things about the current car. Even the damned curry hook. But I doubt if thier designers would grace these pages with their presence. IF I was LR, I would be asking this forum what they want in the D4! Free constructive customer feedback! Who wouldn't want that!?

EXTREMELY POSITIVE!
I found the forum just before I ordered my D3 & whilst there had been some negative feedback in other press etc, this forum gave me the confidence that IF I had a problem, there would be someone, somewhere that either had the problem before or knew someone who had, or knew how to fix it.
As Gilmorr said, it's also a great social network (in various forms!). Can't think of many forums that'd let a total stranger in their car to go off-roading (Thanks AndrewS).

The General tone is positive, there have been instances of negative (or maybe just contentious) views , but that's part & parcel of different people. Some just want an argument, but nonetheless there's a tremendous overall positivity around the site Thumbs Up

I've only been on here since November last year, does that make me a medium termer? Even in that short time, I HAVE seen a difference, mostly when there's nothing else to discuss as the issues are almost all known about & therefore a quick & simple answer. But as long as there's a new influx of people coming in with new questions & new ideas, then the site will/should continue to evolve. With the first batch of D3's coming out of warranty, I can see a new 'breed' of members & therefore further expanding the site and perhaps with new modifications to push the boundaries of this excellent vehicle further.

Long Live DISCO3.CO.UK Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #20756124th Sep 2007 6:27 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

1) I Think it is a very positive thing for LR, because it offers extra support to land rover owners. After all its us that drives them day in day out.

2) Very Positive for users in my opinion and also very welcoming.

3) The general tone I feel is very positive.

4) I feel the site has changed since I joined, there are not many issues anymore, but still lots of good advice and information passed between members. Also some great days out in the past and to come.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #20756624th Sep 2007 6:44 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Do you think that 3000 odd bod's are going to make that much of a difference to LR strategy. Looking at the latest D3 styling pack ....I don't think so Laughing I suspect that LR design and production look in every now and then to check there are no major problems ..we know that many of the dealers have...they tread the perilous path of good and bad ratings and of course to learn how the D3 works Whistle ....but overall I think the LR view is fairly neutral TBH. I would dearly love to be proved wrong here though Wink

I think you have to acknowledge that the overall feeling to members is positive. Whether you found the site because you wanted to buy a D3...you had a fault with your D3 ...you wanted to get the most out of your D3...you wanted to bling your D3 and on and on ..then it never fails to deliver.

The disco3 world is a colourful place... full of opinions...and ..of course only mine counts Wink ...there are those who want to offer theirs that perhaps are sometimes put off by the heavy banter ...but I think we all respect each other at the end of the day. I tend to love everyone Rolling Eyes ....hell...... I even love BLFarrar Rolling with laughter ...though NOT in the biblical way I hasten to add Neutral The site is a part of my life ....and a great fun part at that ...thanks Thumbs Up

We have evolved and the D3 has evolved with us ...with the technicalities of a space shuttle a great mind shift had to take place for ardent Land Rover lovers ...what was this machine all about and why did the friggin' thing keep having so many faults ...mostly history now. This site and it's 'tech wizard' advisors Wink helped me and many many others understand it and I thank them for that. With the second hand market now thriving we are now seeing a new wave of owners coming in from the cold and finding a lovely warm welcoming fire here. May the fires burn brightly for many years to come Thumbs Up

Big Cry
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 24th Sep 2007 7:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20757624th Sep 2007 7:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >