Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Is this the sump / drain plug for an oil change?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ferncottage wrote:
Bodsy - this is the D4 forum ...!!

OK, I am missing something here, I log onto disco3.co.uk and sign in to confirm it, it says disco3.co.uk in the title, yet bodsy is ridiculed because we both think we are on D3 site not D4, how come Question Question
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #13344294th Sep 2014 1:58 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There are D3 and D4 sections the site, the site is the same whether you use DISCO3.CO.UK or DISCO4.COM - just the picture at the top changes Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #13344334th Sep 2014 2:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

M3DPO wrote:
OK, I am missing something here… yet bodsy is ridiculed because we both think we are on D3 site not D4, how come Question Question

Ridiculed is probably a bit strong as we have all done it at one point or another. The level of ribbing when a seasoned member makes such a mistake is one of the universe's great constants.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13344374th Sep 2014 2:17 pm
jonnybgud

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)
 Admin on Facebook Discovery 3 & 4 Ownersgroup

Cambelt, Fuel Pump Belt, Oil Pump & Water pump replaced by Flack

Mods:

D4 Conversion (front & rear)
BAS (Bodsy) remap + EGR Delete
FBH Smart Controller
D4 Screen/Navigation 

Post #13344514th Sep 2014 2:53 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Rolling Eyes

Post #13344584th Sep 2014 3:10 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Chill out fellas Wink I missed the D4 bit when I briefly came on earlier and didn't bother double checking.
but alls fair game in love & Forums, I can take it Thumbs Up

Don't worry Robbie, I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.... Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13344794th Sep 2014 4:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Popelka

Czech Republic 

Martin wrote:
There are D3 and D4 sections the site, the site is the same whether you use DISCO3.CO.UK or DISCO4.COM - just the picture at the top changes Smile

and the surprising thing when looking from work, the firewall filter states the D3 as a dodgy site and won't let me go there; while D4 is fine Confused
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #13345394th Sep 2014 6:29 pm
tj2k

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm way late to this party (more than a year!) but I've had a problem both with that pipe and the sump-nut...

I had a slow leak from that pipe initially; so I drained the oil to prove it (*using the sump-nut). I re-used the original sump-nut and eventually replaced the plastic connector with a brand new one.

Then the sump-nut was leaking..

So I exchanged that with a new one... Patting myself on the back, I thought I'd finally resolved it but still no joy - with the brand new one fitted, there was a small pool of oil under it the following day (this morning) Censored

I double checked that it's not the plastic vacuum pipe - it's not - it's def. the new sump-nut leaking... I had only tightened it up "hand-tight" and have not torqued it up so to speak.. (couldn't find any value on it looking around on the web).

So I've tightened it a little more. Leaving it for an hour or so (engine oil was hot), there was maybe the smallest weep - much less than a drip - which might be residue from oil on the rubber gasket on the nut being further compressed? So I've tightened it a wee-bit more..

If it's still weeping later; does anyone have any suggestions? The nut is not cross threaded, it goes in smoothly.

I guess there's 2 obvious answers;

1) Sump-nut isn't at the correct torque

if not that,

2) The nut needs to be replaced yet again (& torqued up right?)?

Confused

Post #153572627th Sep 2015 9:09 am
ferncottage

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

It doesn't sound like you have a washer on the sump plug..? Only other thought is to perhaps put a bit of PTFE tape around the sump plug thread....
 Discovery 4 - 3.0 - 2015  
Post #153593327th Sep 2015 4:46 pm
Washwipe

England 

Do all the main dealers use suction to remove the engine oil, just checked a service invoice from a dealer I no longer frequent due to incompetence, they charged on the invoice, Plug Oil Drain £2.93 Question
Not bothered about the cost, just mentioning.

Post #153595627th Sep 2015 5:34 pm
tj2k

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes, old & new plugs have the rubber gasket / seal on them Thumbs Up

Interestingly though; on the old nut, one side of the nut is worn / black paint worn off and on that side, the rubber seal is compressed totally flat - whereas on the other side, its still proud - almost as if the flange of the nut is not flat against the wall of the sump and so not fully sealing causing the leak.

That said, the tightening & then tightening more, seems to have done the trick - I think that the seal is not sealing 100% of the way around unless the nut is really tight (& naturally, am concerned about over tightening) but the oil leak has .... seemingly .... stopped...

I have one of those cheap vacuum pumps - I used it to remove and safely collect the oil (this Mobil oil has only been in 2 weeks & was very pricey).. I can heartily recommend them!

Attached pics of the old one...hopefully it can be seen & hopefully - its resolved Smile

P.s. I wonder if they're all like that - and I've simply just not tightened it up enough - plain and simple!? Has anyone got their old nut to had to compare if its worn like my old one?

Pps. I don't see the pics despite uploading them??

Post #153597627th Sep 2015 6:32 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
Do all the main dealers use suction to remove the engine oil, just checked a service invoice from a dealer I no longer frequent due to incompetence, they charged on the invoice, Plug Oil Drain £2.93 Question
Not bothered about the cost, just mentioning.

Interesting point - I cant see why they wouldn't vacuum as it is faster and cleaner. I did however notice the same (and a sealing washer) on my last service invoice. I challenged them but the service guy swore that they drained the oil from the sump bung. I went home and checked. The sump guard had no hand marks on it, the bolts didn't look like they had been touched and when I peered in towards the sump, the bung and side of the sump was plastered in oil from a previous turbo oil drain leak. So either they didn't change the sump bung or they didn't bother their holes wiping up an oil leak.....

I changed the oil myself this weekend and asked the dealer parts department for a new filter, bung and washer. The parts man queried the washer as it doesn't relate to my vehicle! Hmmm, more words will be had at the next service. They also charged me for screenwash which I had filled up the night before the service.

I didn't like the idea of removing the plastic pipe which has been subject to many heating and cooling cycles and looks fragile at best. However, a word of warning when removing the sump bung, the oil will come out, hit the crossmember and spray everywhere apart from the two catch cans placed to collect it!

Post #153621928th Sep 2015 9:18 am
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

tj2k wrote:

I have one of those cheap vacuum pumps - I used it to remove and safely collect the oil (this Mobil oil has only been in 2 weeks & was very pricey).. I can heartily recommend them!

I have a vacuum pump too but am new to the D4...what I do know (and can't fathom the backwards step) is that there is no dipstick. So....where do you insert the vacuum tube to suck the oil out? The oil filter hole once you remove it? Surely not.

Or am I being a dipstick?

I know it is better to drain from the bottom but this will be for a mid service change rather than the proper one.

Thanks!

Post #212453728th Feb 2020 6:29 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Found out on the forum - thing poking out the side to the left of the engine cover. Can you get a dipstick in there? Smile

Post #212457628th Feb 2020 9:50 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Popelka wrote:
Martin wrote:

and the surprising thing when looking from work, the firewall filter states the D3 as a dodgy site and won't let me go there; while D4 is fine Confused

Obviously a better class of users go the D4 route Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Dont know what it would say if you went to Disco5.co.uk -perhaps much bigger text Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #212457928th Feb 2020 9:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >