Japan Specific D3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ostland

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Japan Specific D3?

Hello all,

It's my first post !

I bought a D3 in Japan which seems to come with a different VIN from those in the other parts of the World. Elsewhere in this forum I remember reading that D3 is sold universally based on one base configuration (bells and whistles aside).

I understand that VIN for D3/LR3 begins with

SALLAAA436....

Well, mine has

SALLAJA436... J denoting Japan I suppose

I am no expert on VINs, or cars for that matter, but I presume there must be a significant enough structural difference to give it a different VIN, but can't work out what. Comparing with D3s in the UK, mine does look as if though the height is marginally lower. But this may just be a reflection of my psychological complex (having short pair of legs, that is!).

Unfortunately, the dealer couldn't give me a convincing answer on this one. So, if anyone knows why a different VIN is given to D3s in the Japanese market, please enlighten me!

Thanks in advance,

Post #40320116th Jan 2009 7:29 am
Goswin

Netherlands 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Fill out your VIN at http://www.landroverwinkel.nl/VIN
and perhaps it gives you the info you need.

Regards,
Goswin

Post #40447618th Jan 2009 3:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

More importantly welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

Maybe rustproofing etc is lower grade then Europe spec? I know there is a thriving market in the UK for ex Japanese Disco 1's being brought back over here with no corrosion on them as you don't get salt on the roads in winter etc.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #40448218th Jan 2009 4:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Goswin

Netherlands 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

b.t.w. I do not think there are any differences between the Asian D3's and the ones that drive in Europe. The only 'different' models drive in the US and australia.

The US/AUS LR3 has an extra option, the 4.0V6 motor from FORD and the lighting specs are somewhat different.

Ofcourse there is also some local software modifications in each part of the world, but that can be changed by any LR dealer.

Differences in Height, Lenght or what so ever aren't there if you'd ask me....

The reason why your VIN is different is because your VIN indicates what options are in your D3, where it is fabricated, for which continent it was produced and if it is a 5-seater, 7-seater, etc.,etc...

Bye,
G

Post #40449118th Jan 2009 4:46 pm
DiscoStu

England 

From a Japanese Import site

Quote:
Are Japanese vehicles road-legal in the UK?

Initially, no. To make them road-legal in the UK, we are required to carry out a number of modifications. The first of these is to fit a rear fog light to the vehicle as Japanese law does not require such an item, unlike in the UK. Secondly, a fuel neck filler restrictor needs to be fitted, to prevent any other than an unleaded petrol hose fitting inside the tank. Finally, the speedometer must be converted from kph to the UK standard, mph. Once the above modifications have been made, the vehicle is then submitted for an S.V.A (Single Vehicle Approval) test. This is a much stricter version of the M.O.T. and ensures that the vehicle is in perfect working order.

Other than that and the radio being different they should be the same.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #40451818th Jan 2009 5:39 pm
DiscoStu

England 

VIN number - UK, EU and ROW

VIN Position                        Character   Identifies
=============================================================================
1 - 3 -  World identifier           SAL         Land Rover (UK)
4,5   - Vehicle type                LA          Discovery 3
6     - Class                       A           Standard
7     - Body style                  A           4 Door
8     - Engine                      1           276DT - V6 2.7 Diesel
8     - Engine                      4           406 PN - V6 4.0 Petrol
8     - Engine                      5           448PN - AJV8 4.4 Petrol
9     - Transmission and steering   3           RHD Automatic
9     - Transmission and steering   4           LHD Automatic
9     - Transmission and steering   7           RHD Manual
9     - Transmission and steering   8           LHD Manual
10    - Model year                  5           2005
10    - Model year                  6           2006
10    - Model year                  7           2007
10    - Model year                  8           2008
11    - Plant                       A           Solihull
12-17 - Serial number               123456      Unique six digit serial number
 Disco 5 HSE Lux

Post #40452218th Jan 2009 5:44 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You should put that info up on the Wiki Stu , nice one , wondered what it all meant.

Post #40470318th Jan 2009 9:14 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Good idea Thumbs Up
 Disco 5 HSE Lux

Post #40471118th Jan 2009 9:22 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

"Secondly, a fuel neck filler restrictor needs to be fitted, to prevent any other than an unleaded petrol hose fitting inside the tank."

eeek not much good getting a Jap diesel powered D3 then !! Whistle

Post #40472918th Jan 2009 9:37 pm
ostland

DiscoStu, thanks for the VIN list - looks like Japan is in a class of its own...

Although I haven't come across any fogs in Japan, all D3s have rear fog lights as standard (as per most other optional extras) only the front fog light is standard on HSE. As for the KPH speedometer this could be a reason, but then I should have thought KPH speedos are used elsewhere too. At any rate it looks like there isn't any room in the VIN syntax to differentiate trim levels.

So it could be the rust proofing levels - but it has all sorts of cold weather goods as standard (heated seats, front window screen etc) so I find hard to think LR would skimp on rust proofing - it snows like Siberia and so locals throw salt around like most other places..

Post #40596320th Jan 2009 3:49 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just spotted this post...

I don't have any documents with me now, but I seem to remember that there are specific Japan-only things fiited to the Japanese market D3s.

Some funny antenna things in the back windows that are different to those used elsewhere....

And the main thing that I remember is that there is a smog/contamination sensor under the bonnet which works with the climate control to close the recirulation flaps if it detects crap in the air....

There were some other emissions/contamination things as well (maybe to do with the engine management or exhaust stuff) but I can't remember at the moment Embarassed

I'm stumped about the 'J' in the VIN though - I've never ever seen that on any LR document that I've seen. I thought that there was just NAS (North American Spec), Canada, UK, EU and ROW with Japan fitting into the ROW bit.

Just looked at the link that Goswin posted - 'J' comes out as referring to: Wheel base: 113.6 inch (Japan)
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #40598920th Jan 2009 4:51 pm
DiscoStu

England 

In 2004,

6th digit - wheelbase

A 88" Land Rover
100" Range Rover

B 108" Range Rover Classic

C 109" Land Rover

G 100" Discovery

H 110" Land Rover

M custom

V 90" Land Rover
 Disco 5 HSE Lux

Post #40614620th Jan 2009 7:59 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

ostland wrote:
As for the KPH speedometer this could be a reason, but then I should have thought KPH speedos are used elsewhere too..

Surely Japan RHD cars co,e with Kilometer speedo, as would be Australia & New Zealand - only the UK would need RHD & Miles Speedo ?
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #40615620th Jan 2009 8:19 pm
ostland

PaulP, my D3 doesn't have the antenna-pod like thing on the roof, but has the antenna-like markings on the rear window (between C- and D-pillar). The radio looks similar to that of the UK/EUR, I don't listen to much but seems to have the same FM range (78 - 108MHz). It even has RDS which isn't used in Japan, so I would guess LR used the same standard radio/6-CD set.

Smog/contamination sensor - yes my AirCon has three options - Normal, Recirculate Air, and Auto. By default it appears to go for Auto-mode, but I never sussed out how to use it and not sure whether it is working because you get to smell the Diesel exhaust whenever you are behind a truck.

Your point about emission might be right - Japanese emissions standards are ridiculously stringent, an perhaps because of this LR doesn't import Diesel models (which I was hoping to get originally). Requirements for diesel emissions are so high that only the bravest OEMs bother importing them (Merc recently introduced its E-Class CDIs).

As BLFarrar says, Aust/NZ also use RHD/KPH so I would have thought it a lot simpler to divert some of the units going over there to Japan, rather than to build one specially for Japan (especially when the units sold is minimal). It could be that there are stuff concerning emission standards unique to Japan.

Post #40645521st Jan 2009 5:11 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

OK...I've had a chance to look at the documentation now....
ostland wrote:
Smog/contamination sensor - yes my AirCon has three options - Normal, Recirculate Air, and Auto. By default it appears to go for Auto-mode, but I never sussed out how to use it and not sure whether it is working because you get to smell the Diesel exhaust whenever you are behind a truck.

According to GTR the climate control does have some extra bits and bobs....

Quote:
El sistema automático en el mercado japonés incluye también:
- Un sensor de contaminación.
- Un sensor de humedad.

A contamination sensor and also a humidity sensor. As you mentioned, your recirc button(s) also has an extra mode (auto) for auto-recirculation based upon the amount of contamination in the surrounding air....doesn't sound like it works very well though Laughing

The contamination sensor is behind the front bumper near the ambient air temp sensor and the humidity sensor on the Japanese models is built into the cabin temperature sensor.

As far as the antenna stuff goes, the only difference I can see is the VICS antenna/amplifier that is only fitted to Japanese D3s is fitted as a factory-fit option in addition to the sat-nav system. I guess that VICS is like a TMC info system - not really sure though.

Hope this helps, Thumbs Up
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #40649221st Jan 2009 9:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >