Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Other Site Sponsors

JKP Detail - A change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Need a mobile soak-away then! shame there isn't some kind of tray that you can stand the car on while you wash it which can then be pumped in to a waste water container that you can then dispose of in the "required" manner.

We're not allowed to wash our vans in the yard at work because we don't have a soakaway. Rolling Eyes
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #56549415th Dec 2009 5:06 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This is utter madness ! I really cannot believe that this is what the world is coming to. Feel sorry for you JKP.

Has anyone told Mr Clarkson about this, I am sure he would have something to say Laughing

Post #56549815th Dec 2009 5:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It seems that an individual can wash their motor 7 days a week unhindered (at present) but if John comes along in his van to do the job properly then the rules kick in Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #56550115th Dec 2009 5:30 pm
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

So, how cum you can still clean your own car on your drive but someone else can't Confused

I've f Censored g heard it all now Evil or Very Mad

Note to self, wait 10 secs before posting, answer will be there Thumbs Up
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Last edited by Frapp on 15th Dec 2009 5:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #56550215th Dec 2009 5:30 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've Googling for any info on these regulations, and can't find anything about mobile valets. Have you got a link JKP?

Post #56550415th Dec 2009 5:32 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

http://publications.environment-agency.gov...DX-e-e.pdf

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/netre...94336.aspx
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 15th Dec 2009 5:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #56550915th Dec 2009 5:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ah Laughing

Forgot, you have a Phd in Googletronics 8)

Post #56551015th Dec 2009 5:42 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Thumbs Up

Thats the ACOP version of the legisaltion. i.e this is what they 'suggest' to comply and if you cannot prove you are doing it then .....

Post #56551115th Dec 2009 5:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Just nicked this bit from EA

This guidance also applies to washing and cleaning plant, machinery, equipment and boats as the principles
are generally the same. It doesn’t cover household activities but our good practice advice would be to use a
commercial facility (car wash) that re-uses water, or hand wash with a bucketful of water and a sponge without
using detergent, traffic film removers, degreasants or other proprietary cleaners. We discourage the use of
hose-pipes or high pressure cleaners for car washing at home.

Plain old water & a sponge then Shocked tw4ts
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #56551515th Dec 2009 5:49 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well, to be fair there is a reason - its all to do with waste management, potential chemical pollution of water supplies, rivers etc and simply to stop making a complete and unsightly mess of the pavement and road...

Yes it can be a PITA. But one that makes sense now that I've been exposed to since living in a country that takes this approach.

We no longer have public jet-washes now, simply due to the waste management and disposal of chemicals.

(I still sometimes hose down my D3 outside my house and shovel the mud up over the course of a few days.... Embarassed )
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #56552115th Dec 2009 5:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So, who's next. Window cleaners perhaps Neutral

Post #56552315th Dec 2009 5:59 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Behave JF, I bet every car in the country would have to be being washed at the same time to make any difference to the water supply. 1 cap full of shampoo to 100 litres of hose water. I probably poison the planet more by washing my hair, but there isn't a rule against that.

Do hairdressers have soakaways?

It's BS.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #56552415th Dec 2009 6:01 pm
JMC

Scotland 

It's called raising your head above the parapet and doing things properly in this country. The first people to shoot you down are the public sector.

You could do this stuff 'cash in hand' and nobody would ever be any the wiser. As soon as you try to be legitimate about it with a bona-fide business, VAT registration, tax-paying, do-it-right attitude, they will come along and impose everything they can upon you in the name of the greater good. Just to keep some jobsworth who's never had a job that wasn't paid for by the treasury in employment. The private sector are f Censored d every time. Evil or Very Mad

I've dealt with SEPA in the past and what a pathetic shower they were. When I had a couple of petrol stations, a new rule came out that I needed a license for 'vapour recovery'. This was a system which I'd had on the site for years but when the legislation came out, it had to be licensed. I duly paid for this additional tax license and received a bit of paper. Months later, a young female graduate appeared from SEPA requesting to see my license. I didn't have it to hand, but I promised to look it out for her. I was met with a response that if I didn't produce it there and then she could prevent me from trading that day until I found it. Shocked

She then produced a copy of MY LICENCE from her brief-case and said - "This is what it looks like"........... Shocked Shocked Shocked

She wasn't there to check if I had such a license, as she already new I'd paid for it and she had a copy with her. She just wanted to see my original document and threatened to close my site there and then if I didn't produce it. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Ten years ago, she was being paid £25k+ to drive round the country visiting businesses to look for bits of paper which she already had in her car with her.

FECKIN NUMPTIES THE LOT OF THEM.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #56552615th Dec 2009 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

JF Lux wrote:
(I still sometimes hose down my D3 outside my house and shovel the mud over next door's fence over the course of a few days.... Embarassed )

These bloody ex-pats have no respect for anyone outside of their own country Whistle Laughing

JMC - that really is scary Shocked It's like making you pay taxes and then using that money to pay someone to ask you to prove that you have paid them....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #56555115th Dec 2009 6:52 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

countrywide wrote:
Yep, no washing cars in Holland, you have to go to a car wash with proper waste traps.

Same in most parts of Europe. Something to do with the watertable being nearer the surface in alot of places.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #56555315th Dec 2009 6:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >