Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Jump starting & Earthing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Jump starting & Earthing

Managed to flatten the battery at weekend after letting the kids play in it for a hour and while charging a portable DVD in the 12v socket. D3 not running at the time and we were out camping in Carnforth. Turns out the kids left all the coutesy lights on and I did not notice because of the bright sun. Little angels. Sad

So I got out my Halfords Power Pack 200 expecting it to fire up the D3 with no problems but alas not a dicky bird, it didn't get anywhere near turning it over. Eventually jump started from another kind camper.

Couple of questions though as I'm not electrically minded at all. Apparently, the power pack won't work if there is less than 2.5V of residual power left in the vehicle. I still had dash lights just about, so how does 2.5V manifest itself. How would I know whether I had it? (And no I dont have a voltometer thingy or know what to do with one Shocked )

Earthing points? - the manual says put the negative to an unpainted surface like an engine mount but I could not find one that the cable would reach, it's all more or less painted isn't it? I actually used the bonnet catch keeper thingy but scratched some paint off first. What is the best earthing point please? Why can't I just use the negative battery terminal?
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #4748171st Jun 2009 1:30 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

you can an should have used the negative of the battery, this is probably why it wouldent start.

they always say the engine earth, just in case the cars earth to the engine is faulty. engine earth,chassis earth, bettery negative it's the same thing.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #4748471st Jun 2009 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

goodfella, for future reference , if you press and hold the coutesy light button for a few seconds it will flash once then disable the interior courtesy lights. press and hold again to reanable. very useful when you are in and out the car alot. Ive had mine off for the last two weeks on holiday and main battery has been fine after many hours of opening and closing doors.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #4748491st Jun 2009 2:50 pm
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

when using a booster battery it usually best to connect staright to the battery terminals and leave it alone for 10-15 mins to give it chance to put something back in the main battery before trying to start
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #4748521st Jun 2009 2:59 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

goodfella Thumbs Up

The reason they state engine earth is because they dont want you creating any sparks around the battery area incase of gasses present especially if jump starting from another vehicle Shocked

With a battery pack it's not as bad because generally there will be an isolation switch so you would connect upto the battery without any sparks and then use the switch .

I have a 700amp battery pack in my works van which will start most vehicles but is constantly being charged all day , alot of these boost packs sit around for long periods and dont have the charge in them when needed.

You would have had more than 2.5volts in the battery if the ignition lights were coming on , probably more like 9/10 volts but not the amperage to start up. Thumbs Up

Matt

Post #4748661st Jun 2009 3:47 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Do the newer gel batteries still have the spark = kaboom problem?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4748681st Jun 2009 3:51 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Do the newer gel batteries still have the spark = kaboom problem?

NoDo$h , Thumbs Up

Gel batteries dont let off any gas , well virtually nothing Rolling Eyes

No gas / spark = No KAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !! Rolling with laughter

Post #4748771st Jun 2009 4:06 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Away with the tintent at the weekend, doors open al morning Sunday, went to start car dead.... mmmmm

Jump start off a Disco II, very nice man......

Car open lots yesterday whenwe got, home a short run, doors opened today a few times, didnt relock, jumped in tonight...... dead again...mmmm

Can only think its the courtesy lights, how long do they stay on for if you dont lock the car ? I have disabled them now... lets see if it starts in the morning !

I have been getting the "transmission fault, traction reduced" warning on start up after short runs, and lots of crud around the post on the battery, looks like the original battery from 2004...... is my battery on the way out ?

Also the battery cover is loose and rattles, the clips are broken, anyone got a pic on how its supposed to fit ?
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #4750131st Jun 2009 10:22 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi paulJ1, the fact that your battery has been flat at some time, it will take at least 3 to 4 hours constant driving to charge it and if you haven’t done that much driving in one go then your battery is probably still very low and just a few minutes with the interior lights on could flatten it enough so that it could not start your D3.

If you have or cam borrow a battery charger, it would be advisable to get it fully charged or it will die.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4752102nd Jun 2009 2:09 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

just slightly of topic what is the advantage of running two cables from the rear of the car to the positive and negative terminals of the Aux battery instead of just one to the positive and the other to the chassis somewhere at the back of the car. This is for my" Anderson plug at the rear" project which in turn is linked to the "charging of my trailer leisure batteries" project.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #4752832nd Jun 2009 4:43 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Right then..... just jumped into Disco to go and vote, and......

Turn key lots of clicking, not turning over, dead battery again.... 11.7V.. mmmmm

I had same the first time on Sunday after we had the door open for ages, I then turned off the courtesy lights off..... but not used car for 2 days, its dead again..

Is it that I shagged the battery by discharging it at the weekend ? As i said previously it is the original battery for 2004 and there is gunk around the +ve terminal, and when i bought the car there were jump leads in the cubby hole in the boot......

I will call LRA in the morning play dumb and ensure it is the battery and not the alternator or the starter motor or ....

The only thing is I had the keys all changed 10days ago and it seems to have reset all the settings, the sat nav screen and the radio panel stay lit for 5 mins after I lock....

Questions...

Is it the battery, and will a new battery fix it ?
Whats the procedure to change the battery without frying anything ?

Hartwells wanter £122+vat they can hiss off...... I'll try and get them to match Nick's price.
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #4764154th Jun 2009 9:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >