Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Just got an iPhone 3GS - with ACM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pherplexed

United States 2013 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackLR4
Just got an iPhone 3GS - with ACM

Lovin the responsiveness of the new phone but disappointed to see the Audio Connectivity Module doesn't support charging of the 3GS. My 3G charged with it...I wonder what's so different? My ACM is the older model that came with an actual cradle (I think the newer ones come with just a cable connector now?). Maybe the newer version will support charging. Anybody know any details about that?

Oh, the voice control for playing music is a welcome new feature to. No more near-death experiences trying to find that one song while driving Very Happy Those who are wondering: the voice confiation doesn't playback through the audio system. Only plays out ofthe iPhone speaker which makes it tough to hear.
 2013 LR4 HSE lux | Santorini Black | 5.0 V8  
Post #48431919th Jun 2009 11:08 pm
pherplexed

Wiggs, or somebody else smarter than me: how can I find out what each of the cables are on the acm? I'm wondering if I can bypass the kit's power supply and splice in power from a qualified charger. Would this be possible?

I talked with an Apple guy who also happened to drive a Land Rover. He tells me the audio connectivity kit was designed to play/charge iPods, right? But the iPhone (and more so, the 3G) require just a bit more voltage than the older iPods. So he said even though my previous 3G may have shown it was being charged, it wasn't actually getting enough to fully compensate for what it was using, and if left long enough, would run out of power even while plugged in. So my guess is the ACM isn't putting out enough juice for the new 3GS's liking so it just refuses the charge all together.
Post #48468121st Jun 2009 5:15 am
Ken

The Range Rover ACM charges both the 3g & 3gs fine I'll check the new acm in the d3 later

Post #48468421st Jun 2009 6:56 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

The power specs for the iPhone 3GS are exactly the same as for the 3G, ie. 5v powered through the USB pins on the dock connector. Earlier iPods and the original iPhone could take 12v through the FireWire pins.

The apple dock connector has 30 pins numbered from left to right. Pins 19&20 are used for 12v Firewire connections and 23,25&27 are used for 5v USB type power connectors. Apple has been phasing out the use of FireWire charging, so on the newer iPods and iPhone 3G onwards, pins 19&20 are not used.

Trouble is, lots of people making car connectors loved using the 12v connectors for obvious reasons. It's not a good idea to change the voltage going to a iPhone 3GS to anything other than 5v.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #48473221st Jun 2009 11:11 am
pherplexed

Ken wrote:
The Range Rover ACM charges both the 3g & 3gs fine I'll check the new acm in the d3 later

So you don't get a giant yellow triangle on the screen telling you charging is not supported, huh? it's got to be the newer ACM, though I don't know why it would be any different than the older one.

Let me know what you find out with your D3!

crews control wrote:
The power specs for the iPhone 3GS are exactly the same as for the 3G, ie. 5v powered through the USB pins on the dock connector. Earlier iPods and the original iPhone could take 12v through the FireWire pins.

Even if the 3G and 3Gs have the same power specs, maybe it's just the 3Gs refuses weak charges whereas the 3G just accepted it (assuming what I found out is true...that the kit isn't putting out quite enough power). Do you know if the original iPhone had the exact same power spec as well?
Post #48478721st Jun 2009 1:34 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

No, the original iPhone could take 12 or 5 volt charging (FireWire or USB) but the FireWire was dropped with the 3G onwards.
I think you'll find the "not putting out quite enough power" thing a bit of a red herring! - The power has to drop below 2.8 volts before the USB pins stop working and you get the orange triangle message on screen.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #48481321st Jun 2009 4:22 pm
pherplexed

crews control wrote:
No, the original iPhone could take 12 or 5 volt charging (FireWire or USB) but the FireWire was dropped with the 3G onwards.
I think you'll find the "not putting out quite enough power" thing a bit of a red herring! - The power has to drop below 2.8 volts before the USB pins stop working and you get the orange triangle message on screen.

oh well, I thought I was on to something. Maybe my unit is defective. Now that I think about it, over the past couple of months, my 3G would sporadically make the "plugged in and charging" sound off and on - over and over again, then it would just stop. So maybe the power feed really is messed up on mine.

Whether mine's defective or only the new kit charges the 3Gs, looks like I'll have to replace mine. Mad

All the dealers here in the US sell these for $400US. No luck on fleabay either. Anybody know of another outlet to order the VPLAE0001?

many thanks for the help, fellas.
Post #48482821st Jun 2009 5:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >