DISCO4.COM > Africa

Keeping the D3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Keeping the D3?

Has anyone got any thoughts on the following:

I have a 2007 V8 D3 with 100k km on the clock. It's perfect, and I love it but she's getting on a bit.
Do I sell now and get a D4, or do I get an efficient platkar (BMW 320d) and keep the D3? having 2 cars means double insurance and means being exposed to maintenance issues on the D3. This is all to keep the car you own, i.e. protect that assest and keep it's value in hand. But...........

The D3 is now worth about R250k. It will lose value over the next 5 years and will be worth ?R100k at best in 2017. If you have 2 major issues eg. gearbox and diff, you are left with almost nothing after servicing and insurance. So there is no "inherent value" in the D3 that you own. Sad Do you keep an old car and know that it's worth nothing in the end? Or..........

Do you use the R250k as a deposit on a D4 and lease the outstanding amount (which may be very little)? Then in 4 or 5 years you just take it back and lease a D5! Very Happy

Anybody been through all the computations of keeping a 5 year old car vs buying a new one vs leasing??? Rolling Eyes

Post #9386655th Jun 2012 8:27 am
KOOS BEST

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Andrew, what is getting on a bit? Does it give trouble? I dont think so.

I believe in only one thing, THE BEST CAR IS THE ONE THAT IS PAID FOR

I only buy second hand, and usually search for the right vehicle, with all the accessories I want, but when I sell I strip everything off and add to my following vehicle.

If you keep the D3 for another few yrs, the insurance will get less and less, no hp only a fuel bill, vs a new D4

My 2c worth, but I love it when people buy new vehicles, look after them like their babies, add some extra stuff and sell it when out of motorplan, that's the vehicles I search for and buy and never had any issues after clocking another 150-200 000km on them with 50 % less on the new price.

Post #9388655th Jun 2012 7:15 pm
McD23

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

a car is an expense, it only ever costs you money ( unless you where clever and bought 911 in 1970 or aston martin Very Happy ) doesnt matter how you look at it, buying two cars in the same time frame that you could have owned one will cost you more money.

Post #9388785th Jun 2012 7:41 pm
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Koos, you are right. I am just wary of gearbox failures and diff issues right now. I suppose fixing those is still the best option if they happen.

I have done the compressor and the lower control arms and have new BFG's on so I guess barring a mechanical catastrophe I am better off with the D3............ Smile

Post #9390506th Jun 2012 11:51 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Put whatever amount of money you would have to lay out for a D4 into the bank, including any monthly payments, and use that as a "disaster fund" if anything goes wrong with the D3. I bet after 5 years there will be fair amount of money in the bank. One of the quickest ways to lose money is to buy a new car Shocked

Post #9390556th Jun 2012 12:19 pm
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Andrew,
Totally agree with our Scots friend above. I bought 2006 4.4 V8 HSE which was somebodies 'baby' till the motorplan expired - I have added 40 000 klm to her, been to Bots twice,Kruger twice and soon to Bots/Caprivi again and wouldn't change her for the world. Would like diesel economy but like the ease of home service on the Jag engine. I accept that you don't know what awaits you but I just use the correct lubricants and change them well before time - she seems to thrive on it. V8 for me providing you do your own maintenance.
Bob
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #9391226th Jun 2012 2:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi Andrew, glad to see you are still around! The D3? Mine has had so many replacements and upgrades, it is. No longer what I had bought!
 "None of Nature's landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild"
John Muir 

Post #95933226th Jul 2012 10:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >