DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Knocking / Rattling from the rear end somewhere
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dealer gave me TSB; see:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post342131.html#342131
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #34213410th Sep 2008 8:39 am
Jimbo the Great

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have exactly the same problem with this strange knocking sound. I had the car in at the agent yesterday having front bushes changed. Steering seems tighter but this morning, that knocking is back. will be going back to L/R on Friday to investigate further. will keep you posted.

Post #34220010th Sep 2008 11:59 am
Brede

Norway 

Sounds just like the noise I've been getting the last couple of weeks!

Post #34226410th Sep 2008 3:59 pm
redjelly5000

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Had a look underneath today, and the rear ARB bushes have definately got play in them, so I guess that will be the source of the knock. I checked the front ones too, but they seem ok. Is that TSB suggesting that a packer inserted under the bush is needed? I guess that would tighten it up, but I assume that they have resolved this problem on the replacement parts, so I might be best to just get a new pair and get them on. Has anyone done this themselves before? Is it straightforward? I did my front ones on the D2 andthe new bushes were so tight, that I ended up having to use the trolley jack to press the cups back over the rubber from underneath. Not sure that would work on these, as the bar goes over the top of the chassis.
 D3 TDV6 HSE 2008 Buckingham Blue (current)
D3 TDV6 HSE 2009 Zermatt Silver (previous)
D3 TDV6 HSE 2005 Maya Gold (previous)
D2 TD5 ES 1999 (previous)
Defender TD5 swb hard top 2005 (previous)
Defender 300tdi swb hard top 1994 (previous) 

Post #34234810th Sep 2008 8:14 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My dealer replaced mine, the tech said it was not an easy job. I think access is the problem.

Post #34243610th Sep 2008 9:51 pm
sufun

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

SPOTTER wrote:
sufun,

I had to have the chassis of the middle middle seat replaced to get rid of a rattle, it wasn't seating down properly. Took nearly 9 months to find it was that rattling

I know that if I give the near side middle row seat a whack ... it rattles ... I will ask the garage to check the chassis. Thanks for that!!

DG ... Laughing I knew the lubricate question will definitely raise some eye brows .... Laughing
 TDV6 SE  
Post #34264511th Sep 2008 2:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
redjelly5000

caverD3 wrote:
Dealer gave me TSB; see:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post342131.html#342131

Having read this TSB, does anyone know if the mentioned shims might solve my ARB bush problem, or indeed if when I install the new bushes, I might need to install these shims too, or if the new replacment bushes have been made to compensate for these shims etc?

Post #34384614th Sep 2008 8:35 pm
redjelly5000

Didn't get any replies regarding the shims, so I just ordered new ARB bushes from the dealer, only £6 for the pair, and I changed them myself within an hour. It was a fairly easy job, although the access space was incredibly tight.

Problem solved !! Thanks to all you who helped with my problem. The car is quiet again, and repaired for £6. Job done! Very Happy

Post #3561606th Oct 2008 10:36 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well done Thumbs Up How about a quick write up for the benefit of others?

Post #3561616th Oct 2008 10:38 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Gareth wrote:

Yes please Thumbs Up
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #3562357th Oct 2008 3:09 am
redjelly5000

Gareth wrote:

To be honest it was really rather straight forward. I had to remove the rear road wheels to get access, but from there the ARB and it's bushes are clearly visible. They are 'D' shaped bushes, and they are secured over the bar to the chassis by 'U' shaped clamps and two bolts, in the usual way, as with many others I have done before. The only difference with these, was that the ARB runs over the chassis rather than under the chassis in the usual way, making the access space (between the chassis and the floorpan) to get the bolts out was very tight, and although I started with a 3/8 drive socket (anything else too big) to get them loose, they had to be finished with a spanner. Because of the tight space, the spanner could only move a couple of degrees, so these bolts were a bit laborious. Even my ratchet spanners didn't have enough movement to work properly. WD40 was absolutely essential. It's one of those jobs where it helps if you're a gynaecologist!

Once these two bolts are removed, with a little encouragement the clamps can be removed, and then the bushes can be slid towards you to clear the chassis, and removed. (They are split in the usual way to enable fitment) The ARB may need a little jacking or manipulating to take the pressure off the bush which is trapped between the chassis and the bar.

Fitting the new ones was just a matter of the above, but in reverse. The hardest part was getting the bar in the right place so that the holes in the clamp lined up with the holes in the chassis. Because you can't see down the holes as the access is so tight, I used my WD40 straw to poke down the holes and line them up! Still a bit tricky though. Also, there is a small fixed collar on the ARB on the inside of the bush, the bush sits up against this not over it. These collars keep the ARB in place between the two bushes.

I don't want to make it sound easy, as it was a bit of a pain in places, but even still was done within an hour, and for very little cost. I had asked my local garage to do it for me, as I was worried about the access issues, they only wanted £20 for labour, but I really wanted to give it a go myself, and once I picked up the parts, I looked at them and thought how hard can it be? I always do my own fixing if I am able, and I never pay anyone to do anything I can do myself, unless I really don't have time (I'm not stupid enough to take on the stuff I know I cannot do!) and I'm glad I did, because it was very satisfying to have rid the world of that annoying knocking!

I didn't take any pics, sorry. But there is a pic of the location of the bushes in an earlier post, posted by Gareth, and that very clearly shows the bush, the ARB and the clamp and bolts.

Hope this helps someone! Wink

Post #3562717th Oct 2008 9:39 am
redjelly5000

Gareth wrote:

Click image to enlarge

In this picture, it is deceiving because it looks like there is tons of room, but there's not. As the bolts start rising out of the chassis, if you're not careful your socket gets trapped against the floor, and you have to screw it back in again to get your socket off!

The bolt to the left in this picture (to the front of the car) is the easiest, but you can see hat the floor angles down just over the ARB giving you coniderably less height over the rear bolt.

Post #3562767th Oct 2008 9:47 am
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I was at the dealer for 4th year service and they discovered the same issue. I was told that it is better to apply the shim in this situation as the play will develop with the new bushes eventually.
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #3563207th Oct 2008 11:45 am
redjelly5000

I asked for help about the shims a few posts back, but no one replied, so I just had to go and get on with the job. The dealer didn't have anything to say on the matter at all, just supplied the new parts...

One would assume that any shims applied would just compress the bush more onto the ARB, in which case one also has to assume that if the shims are to fix existing situations, that the new replacement bushes have been made bigger to compensate for the shims.

It would seem a little pointless getting it all apart though only to add shims. Once you've got it apart, for the sake of £3 each side, you might as well replace the bushes. Mind you, I suppose that you might be able to just slide the shims in after loosening the bolts rather than taking them right out.

I don't think shims would have solved my problem though, unless they are 1/4 inch thick!!

Post #3563277th Oct 2008 11:59 am
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry, I saw the post only now and I had my service a week ago....

I spoke to the Workshop Manager about this at that time and he told me what I just posted before. They see lot of cars (only dealer in the country) and got good experince. He told me that they can replace the bushes if I want but they will develop a play eventually, thus recomended to get the shims. As the car is out of warranty I paid for it (thus for them it was no matter what I choose new bushes or shims).
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #3563387th Oct 2008 1:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >