Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Lack of power at low revs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Got the turbo out last night. Lots of wear in the bearings, and the compressor wheel touches the housing when you move it sideways.

Access was still tight with the gearbox out. I had my head where the bell-housing would have been to remove the turbo mounting bolts, so it would have been a nightmare with it still in.

My Son has been working with me doing this. He has the Milwaukee ratchet and it has proved very useful.

Post #232222410th Jan 2023 9:43 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Massive congrats mate for getting the turbo out under such tight circumstances , Bet it was a massive sigh of relief when it came out

Fingers crossed the reverse isn’t as bad and all goes back together a lot easier

Once again hats off to u for taking on such a job Bow down

Post #232224911th Jan 2023 8:34 am
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Didn't get much done last week but fitted the replacement turbo this afternoon. New DMF is on but still need to torque the bolts and fit the clutch.

I am probably going to replace the gear linkage, as there is quite a bit of sideways play in it generally. Strangely, the pin with the o rings that normally wears seems to be fine. I think sourcing the linkage is going to delay re-fitting the 'box for a few days.

Post #232284315th Jan 2023 6:53 pm
GDM

Worked on the Discovery the last two evenings and got everything back together. The clutch was an absolute pig to bleed but back-bleeding did the trick in the end.

The good news is that the DMF is silent, the gear change is much more precise with the new linkage and the turbo isn't noisy and in danger of letting go at some point. However, it is still lacking grunt at low revs and flagging up the P023D fault code occasionally.

I am now at a loss for what to check next. Could it be a dodgy previous remap, or a faulty ECU?

Post #232350820th Jan 2023 6:52 pm
gstuart

Sorry to hear ur still have the issue , this is a total guess but wonder if a blocked or restricted intercooler could cause this issue

Of course would hate for u to remove it and find out it’s fine but just an idea , if u have an air compressor etc I wonder if u can rig something up to test air flow ??

Just thought if the map sensor live data is correct at idle if there was a restricted intercooler is as the revs increase it chokes the map sensir readings as they get higher , once again just clutching at straws

Also heard that on some remaps it removes the software for turbo actuator from self testing when the engine is turning on and off, would it be worth getting the remap removed to see if it makes any difference on the power

Really hope u get it sorted as indeed enough to pull ur hair out in frustration

Post #232406525th Jan 2023 3:12 am
GDM

Well, finally, I think this is pretty much resolved.

After fitting the turbo the brakes were still binding. I did a quick test drive and it didn't seem much better but my Son drove it up to Northampton and back, and he said that it felt a bit more responsive at motorway speeds. It also didn't throw up any fault codes on the trip.

So we stripped the brakes, fitted new handbrake shoes, 4.4 V8 discs, caliper carriers and 4 new calipers. The system was then bled through.

While it was on the lift, we also cleaned the ECM earth point in the o/s/f wheel arch and fitted a new OEM fuel filter.

It now seems to be much better and pulls quite well from just over 1000 RPM in third. My wife drove it today, having not done so for about 4 weeks and said it was much better.

I might check the throttle body for leaks, as suggested by gstuart, then go for a remap.

Thanks for all of your help on this.

Post #23259619th Feb 2023 12:11 am
gstuart

That’s fantastic news and a massive credit to u

Also really pleased regarding those ECM earth connections behind the NSF wheel arch liner , just used my Dremel with a stainless steel wire brush for the post and connections , re- assembled using some copperslip

Plus 1 as that’s where I also found air leaks , With the engine running from cold get some soapy water and a brush, applying the soapy water with the brush around the egr pipes where they connect to the throttle body and where the large O rings are at the Y piece , found it better using a brush as u can hold the soapy water onto the joints

Fingers crossed it’s now all fixed and once again huge congrats , plse let us know how the rest of the work goes

Am so pleased for u mate

Post #23259669th Feb 2023 4:57 am
GDM

Well,.... yet another update on this.

The 'P023D-22 (68) Manifold absolute pressure - turbocharger/supercharger boost sensor A correlation - General signal failure - signal amplitude>maximum' fault code had been making a reappearance at times, usually when towing or accelerating hard.

I bought new seals for the throttle body and decided to check it for leaks, as suggested by gstuart. The first thing I noticed was lots of oil residue around the o/s EGR blank, indicating a boost leak. I removed the blank and it seemed like the O ring was a very loose fit in the throttle body. I re-fitted it with a bit of RTV silicone on the O ring and changed the front seal as well. Presumably, to change the rear seals, it is necessary to unbolt the inlet manifolds?

Since sealing the blank the fault code has not returned (even after quite a lot of towing and some longer journeys), so I am fairly sure the problem is now solved. The performance is quite a lot better than it was before the turbo change but still not ideal when towing, so I am now going to go for a remap.

Post #233323813th Apr 2023 10:28 pm
gstuart

Brilliant news mate and well pleased for u , was also surprised that such a small leak makes a big difference with fault codes and performance

Took me ages to finally check air leak tests on the throttle body and EGR blanking

Really glad it was of some use to u Thumbs Up

Post #233324114th Apr 2023 1:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >