Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Land Rover - A pile of $**te
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Land Rover - A pile of $**te

OK, seeing the horrors on this forum after buying my Discovery it struck the fear of god into me at what could and did go wrong, too late as I had already bought it but at 3yrs old I took out a Warranty Direct Luxury Care warranty, super dooper covers everything except a few stated items, so I was happy with that. Anyway vehicle is now 5 yrs old, done 30 odd k miles, never taken off road just used to transport family gear, so when my rear parking sensors started to play up I contacted Warranty Direct,mthen were good told me to book it in and get them investigated, I did this using the same main dealer I use for servicing and MOT. I had to agree to cover the cost of the exploratory work but was assured by Warranty Direct (WD) they would cover it if I had, a valid claim, anyway I get a call form WD on Friday to tell me the garage had removed the rear bumper after failing to find the fault electronically as their equipment showed all sensors faulty and found the parking sensor loom had corrosion, this they informed me was not covered under the policy (exclusion for corrosion) so I was was liable for all repairs and exploratory costs, hmmm not happy but understood their point and in fairness it is clearly stated in their policy, but what annoys me is how Land Rover can turn out such junk, I have already had my rear hatch lock repaired after that failed but that is not the end of it!

I had mentioned to the dealer that I could hear a slight rattle from the front suspension and could they just check it out, well they did and the technician reported back that the Front anti Roll Bar Bushes were worn and squeaking, the Front Tie Rods have play and require replacement and tracking to be carried out and finally the Front lower arms are knocking and require replacement, this is very expensive work to be done at the dealer, but wait a minute I have WD cover, the garage in their wisdom were one step ahead and had put a claim in for me to WD, well I got a call from them saying that the claim would not be paid as they had asked the garage if the suspension issues would cause a fail on an MOT at the current time, the garage had said no, so they would not authorise the repairs and I should get back to them when it was bad enough!!!!! OK I understand they can't just change stuff willy nilly but surely if the dealer states to me what I have written word for word from the technician above then surely it needs replaced!! So firstly WTF is going on at Land Rover producing sub standard cr@p, I bought a Land Rover because stupidly I thought they were tough and would last, well I was VERY wrong, it is rotting and falling apart!!!! , surely this is a clear breach of the consumer law in selling products that are purported to be something they are not, I would believe that the items mentioned should last longer, any views appreciated. Secondly WTF is this only repair things if it fails an MOT, how do I know the state of the suspension unless I have weekly checks if my MOT is not for another 6 mths, the technician states it should be replaced, again any views appreciated.

So truly peed off with Land Rover, it seems they are producing the same old junk, I have just spent £8,900 over the last few weeks refurbishing a 110 County Land Rover using as many original Land Rover parts with almost daily deliveries from the same dealer, what a waste of money that seems to have been if it is of the same junk quality of their current 'original' parts and I paid a huge premium price to keep the 110 original.

If anyone has had a similar situation I would be interested to know Thumbs Up

Thanks for listening Very Happy

Post #11281367th Jul 2013 8:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

It's a LR, you buy the capability and put up with the "issues" and pants reliability. Hate to state the obvious but if reliability is important then you need to buy Japanese.

Allegedly. Whistle

Post #11281397th Jul 2013 8:37 pm
Discotres

What gets me is how they produce cr@p kit for vulnerable places, if the technicians have to remove the bumper HTF am I able to service, maintain and lubricate a loom, take the bumper off every month? Why is this not checked at the service, why was my suspension not mention a couple of k miles ago at its MOT, something's very wrong here and I am not happy Twisted Evil

Post #11281427th Jul 2013 8:42 pm
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's a love hate relationship. With lr. I have learnt that preventative maintenance and expert advice mainly from this forum is the best way to keep these beasts happy. Personally I don't use warranty companies or main dealers, I don't trust either. Thumbs Up

Post #11281447th Jul 2013 8:50 pm
Discotres

I agree hence the total restore of the 110 V8 to better than original, but that is a vehicle where at least you can get under and see bits, during the refurb I have learnt so much including hidden vulnerable areas of the chassis to keep waxoyled and that is 23 yrs old so you expect some costs to be incurred, but a 5 yr old Disco 3, well they are having a laugh at my expense!!

Post #11281477th Jul 2013 8:55 pm
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I feel your pain. I have not had parking sensors since I got my car nearly 4 years ago, needs new loom like yours. I have it on my todo list but it keeps getting moved because something else more important crops up, suspension arms included. Mind you it is 9 years old this October and I can't bring myself to sell it and I don't know what could replace it.

Post #11281527th Jul 2013 9:10 pm
robo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I feel like that every time something goes wrong the quality of some of the parts is questionable to say the least only had mine since feb but have had to change all the regular parts compressor,calipers discs pads intercooler pipe tailgate lock cable then when its running well love it,x5 before that never spent a penny on it just get in drive anywhere no fuss.really agree that for such an expensive vehicle the quality just isn't there corrosion protection think they missed mine and it never goes off road always set off on a journey with fingers crossed with this any bongs send me up the wall lol but as I say when running well its great just always in the back of my head that something very expensive is about to go wrong,dont know what I would do without this forum and all the help ive recieved
 gone not forgotten 2 classics
gone forgotten 2 p38s
current d3 se 2006 td standard for now 

Post #11281557th Jul 2013 9:11 pm
wee-man

United Kingdom 
you are not alone.

Unfortunately I completely agree with the original post, and have nearly had enough.

After reading a thread on the forum, I almost, and in the best humour, nearly posted a thread with "place your bets on what is going wrong today" just prior to a trip to London to clear my office.

Just before the trip the alternator failed, and I spent a couple of hours replacing the loom,and ALL the sensors on the rear PDC system, a new battery as preventative maintenance and lots of other bits and pieces. That on top of wishbones at the MOT and an on-going central locking fault which has only just been permanently cured.
There is only only trivia like washer jet replacement and wheel alignment to keep me going between major expenditure.

A humorous posting from me ?, I changed my mind so as not to tempt fate : 2 hours later a seized rear caliper on the M3, plenty of heat and smoke and a 2 hour cool down before a limp home.

Ha ha methinks : oh no !!! : the sat nav and audio system were dead earlier today requiring another reboot to get that working.

I've just noticed a weeping oil leak on the acu pipes near the suspension compressor, yippee : that's on its way out now.

what a load of unreliable javascript:emoticon('Censored').

p.s : my gearbox is thumping between gear changes but that is "normal", not that I've experienced it on any one of the dozens of cars I've had before.
 Gone but far from forgotten 55' plate HSE.
Replaced by Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Defender Puma 2.4 xs 

Post #11281577th Jul 2013 9:15 pm
Discotres

What gets me is that this is not my first Land Rover, I bought a new Defender and then the new D3, sold the Defender a couple of years later and kept the D3, thought I was clever getting an expensive 3yr extended warranty but even with that Land Rover have let me down by producing substandard parts that even my warranty wont cover, how the hell does corrosion get into a properly sealed wiring loom! I will be on to Land Rover tomorrow for an explanation, I want assurances that the box of 85 original LR parts going with the 110 into the Bodyshop a week tomorrow are of merchantable quality, why should I pay extortionate prices for LR 'branded' items when bearmach or even on the odd occasion Brit Parts may produce something better? Seems with the increase in parts prices they are taking the pee, they may be producing new style bling vehicles for Chavs they can later have over with the same old cr@p quality parts issue but they are not going to do that to me, they could well be getting shed loads of 110 parts back this week Wink

Post #11281647th Jul 2013 9:27 pm
Discotres

johnnychainsaw wrote:
I feel your pain. I have not had parking sensors since I got my car nearly 4 years ago, needs new loom like yours. I have it on my todo list but it keeps getting moved because something else more important crops up, suspension arms included. Mind you it is 9 years old this October and I can't bring myself to sell it and I don't know what could replace it.

Feel the pain? well let me tell you that I understand my bill for rear bumper removal at the main dealer and exploratory work is well over £200, that is no doubt without VAT, parts and putting the pile of $hite back together again, that is my reward for being loyal to main dealers for servicing and MOT's, not blaming them at all as they are very helpful and nice, but it is LR who are churning out cr@p, we were looking at getting a new Range Rover, well they can shove that where the sun don't shine, I see a very messy parting of the ways coming soon, just a shame I have put all the work into the 110 she is a stunner and 2 weeks in the Bodyshop with all new doors and just about every seal replaced will have her better than new. At least that is a vehicle I can work on without loads of expensive diagnostic tools, so maybe keep it simple is a good moto Wink

Last edited by Discotres on 7th Jul 2013 9:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11281657th Jul 2013 9:36 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Is it me or do the problem disco's tend to be the one's doing lower milages? It's almost as if the more you use them the better they get!

Also, why is it surprising that Warranty Direct look for any possible way to use the wording in their own contract to get out of paying anything they can? They are not there for your benefit, they exist to make a profit. This means for each person who thinks they've benefited from a WD contract, there must be many more who've lost!

I'd rather take the gamble myself and put the money into premium bonds until I need it... life's too short to spend it arguing over the wording of insurance docs with con-men in suits!
Rolling Eyes

Post #11281667th Jul 2013 9:37 pm
Donny

Unfortunately I have to agree - but to a point

Our D3 was never what you would call reliable and it was the only modern car I have had that I have worried about when heading out on along trip and held my breath with when it went for an MOT. We lived with its foibles (and the costs to put them right) but as it passed seven years old (but less than 90k mileage) the problems were really beginning to show with four figures sums being estimated as repair costs. Even with all the great support available on there - it was clearly time for it to go and I don't regret it. Sad to say but neither do I think I would rush to buy a D3 or D4 again unless I needed the space and out 'n' out off road ability it surely has.

Why I say to a point is that its not all Land Rovers. I replaced the D3 with a FL2 (to join our other one) and they have both proved a joy to own. No big bills and they have always sailed through their MOTs without so much as an advisory. The high mileage one recently started to 'mark its territory' a bit but the leak was quickly and cheaply (by D3 standards) properly fixed. The oldest is getting on for seven years old, still running sweet and has proven totally reliable. Mine goes off road fairly regularly and its surprising what it can do on GG ATs.

My point being that not all Land Rovers products are s Censored t

I also hope your 110 restores your faith (and repays the investment one day) Thumbs Up
 Now an ex D3 owner but still with a brace of FL2s 

Last edited by Donny on 7th Jul 2013 9:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11281687th Jul 2013 9:44 pm
Discotres

The word corrosion is clearly there as a non covered item, now how about if I had gone to a shady back street garage and they reported back without using the word corrosion? I guess it would then be covered, I am not blaming the main dealer for telling the truth but you would think as being linked to Land Rover they would be slightly embarrassed that a top branded purpose made rough tough Discovery is rotting after 5 yrs with no off road, absolute b@llocks and fraud if you ask me, I HAVE BEEN DECEIVED by their marketing department and spin teams!!!! Wel they won't be doing that again and I hopenthisnis a warning to everyone else considering buying one of their products, BE WARNED!!!!

Anyway this forum is brilliant in keeping these old rotting 3yr old vehicles on the road, and long may it continue...........without Land Rover original parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand my suspension work will be in the thousands, luckily when it is deemed to be unsafe enough to kill us all Warranty Direct will be honouring their warranty, but not just yet as although it needs replaced the main dealer states it would pass it's MOT, so WTF is going no here? If my family and myself get wiped out with suspension failure well it is noted here, please ensure that some person is held responsible and pays the price for our deaths!!!!

Last edited by Discotres on 7th Jul 2013 9:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11281707th Jul 2013 9:45 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Land Rover - A pile of $hite

Discotres wrote:
I took out a Warranty Direct Luxury Care warranty, super dooper covers everything

Whistle

It's a bugger that road salt ...especially if you don't wash it off Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11281727th Jul 2013 9:50 pm
Discotres

Oh dear, anyone told Land Rover so they can take that into account when building their vehicles, arses!!!!!!

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE, END OF STORY, I'm going to the court of human rights on this, I have a right to a decent 4x4 that doesn't rot after 5 yrs, just because its a Land Rover everyone tries to make excuses for them, well don't or they will never learn, it is $HITE, end of Evil or Very Mad

Post #11281737th Jul 2013 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >