Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Lando - 2004 v8 HSE - Pre Production Model no264
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
McAdam

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Lando - 2004 v8 HSE - Pre Production Model no264

Car was purchased on 23.11.2020 - text below is for ref only.

List of Problems / Ideas

RED = Open Issue
ORANGE = Planned/Scheduled
GREEN = Solved/Closed

Problems / Issues

26.11.2020 - Suspension Error, Will Not Exit Access Mode
Problem solved after letting the car sleep, no reoccurance.

03.12.2020 - Suspension Error, Stuck in Extended Mode
Temp Fix - RL Sensor Rod Snapped - See Post: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2191198.html#2191198

03.12.2020 - Roof Leak Without Sunroof
Strange roof leak without sunroof. But there is no antennae, just a rubber blanking plate.

07.12.2020 - Hill Descent Control Error
Message on the dash, no testing/diagnosis yet

Modifications
Android Auto Head Unit - Ordered 30.11.2020
Wind Deflectors - Ordered 08.12.2020
360 Degree 3D Camera
Suspension auto up/down on lock/unlock
LR Passion Easy Lift Kit OR Xlifter https://www.xlifter.com/
Custom Smart Box - Mirror fold/unfold on lock/unlock - Access height at Geolocation parking - Garage Gate smart open

Maintainence / Servicing
Transmission Filter Kit - Ordered 08.12.2020
Spark Plugs - Ordered 08.12.2020
Remove Tow Bar and Service - Keys Ordered 07.12.2020
Dif Oils
Interior Squeak - Find and Fix

ORIGINAL POST

It has been months of searching for a D3 V8 locally (I don't agree with diesel) and where I am located (Canary Islands) it seems that people only ever went for the TDV6 in SE Spec with 5 seats.

I have been looking for months locally at getting a HSE with 7 seats, even accepting it would have to be a diesel - but nothing ever came up.

Now I have an opportunity to go to Mainland Spain and checkout a 2004 HSE with 7 Seats and the V8 I love - with less than 80k miles on the clocks. It also has the Nav screen, but unsure if 4x4i is activated. Tow Bar (bonus points).

But there are some suspicious things about the car that are making me doubt this crazy trip, especially going to somewhere which is in total lockdown to buy a car.

The car was previously registered in the UK BUT is LHD

The clocks are still in MPH but the car was fully registered in Spain in 2016.
I found out it was imported by doing a background check on it - which gave me the Vin Number.

Doing a Vin Lookup on a few sites, it says that the options list it was ordered with are 5 Seats (instead of the 7 it has, and documented) and that it was ordered with KM/H clocks.

So I started looking at how hard it is to change the clocks, and apparently, it is not easy at all.
But given the right tools, someone could have done 300,000 KMs on the car then changed the clocks over.

Also missing from the build list was a Sunroof... which I thought came as standard on all HSEs... and the seller hasnt responded to that question yet (seems to be some language barrier)

And finally, I wont know what reg it had in the UK (For UK checks) before I go and visit the car and try to find it etched on glass or an old parking ticket behind the dash.

So here I am, About to go from a Corona safe place, to a Corona Nightmare, to look at a car, at a dealer who speaks a language I am still getting to grips with, because I know what I want in a Disco and wont settle for anything less.

My wife always said I was crazy, and I guess this just proves it.

Any words of wisdom or advice would be much appreciated![/i]

Last edited by McAdam on 8th Dec 2020 1:37 pm. Edited 10 times in total 
Post #218857221st Nov 2020 2:05 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

My random thoughts (having just sold my V8 after advertising it here - you should have bought it! Whistle )

It is possible to register a LHD car in the UK (I've done it a few times, so that doesn't tell you much). 80k miles is very low indeed for a 16 almost 17 YO vehicle. My V8 was at 106k when I sold it and I thought that was low. It would have done less than 5000 miles a year. That seems suspicious and would ring alarm bells.

The real red flag would be the clocks having been changed i.e. the odometer. Personally, if it had been converted from miles to KM or the other way around I'd be extremely suspicious. In fact I'd probably walk away.

It took me over 12 months to find my LR4. Be patient. As for things like the tow bar, forget it. You can fit your own in no time safe in the knowledge that it's done properly and won't fall off. If I were towing I'd want to at least remove a static tow bar to check it and replace the bolts etc on a vehicle that old.

If you want a LHD have you thought about importing from the US? You could get a decent V8 here from a dry state and ship it over. Don't know what shipping to Spain costs, but it's about a grand to ship to the UK from the US on a ro-ro. Prices are strong here for good cars (I listed my V8 for $10K and got almost all of that) but mine was in excellent condition and went to an enthusiastic guy who'll make it better.

I'd be careful about this one given the clock change. V8s are great, though. Good luck.
 PAGODA  
Post #218858021st Nov 2020 2:37 pm
McAdam

I appreciate the comments.

The VIN Decoder said it had KPH clocks, but other than that I have no proof that it was ever changed.

I did look at the US, but got quotes of $2500+ for shipping the car. I guess its not often things come on a boat from the US to here, so it would need to be unloaded at some port then sent here separately.
Ultimately decided not to go that way.

I do live the US styled ones, they seem to have a slightly different aesthetic to them Smile

I guess I will have to suck it up and risk it. If the car has indeed been "Clocked" then it should become very clear very quickly from the condition of it. This would be my 60-something-th car, so I have a good experience of how higher milage ones can get.

RE registering LHD in UK - yup, Im a londoner originally and imported a few cars over the years from Germany and Japan, so it is plausable that the car was either previously imported to the UK OR it was originally a UK car with LHD.

Post #218858321st Nov 2020 2:52 pm
McAdam

Finding the UK Reg

It Is Mine!!

So the night before my flight I was seriously thinking about cancelling my trip. The history of the car seriously worried me, so I did what I do best (and what my wife hates most) - Obsess!

I had the vin number, but no other info about the car.
Find the UK Reg of a car by its Vin number is simply not a service that anyone offers.

So I tried every single "check your car site" and found one single place that filled in the next bit of the puzzle: https://isitnicked.com/

Putting the VIN number in there returned a partial plate - ****CTE

Next was to try and find a site that allowed me to run almost unlimited car queries for free...

Then I wrote a small script that generated links to that website, for each and every single possible reg.
First I started with 05 as thats what the spanish docs said the car was...
Then 54...
Then 04...

A total of almost 2100 possible car regs. After about 1500 manually opened links, I had seriously almost given up. My wife was already furious that I am stuck at my laptop the day before I travelled somewhere risky for a week... so I carried on.
It was number 2000 .... the damn reg of the car was the 2000th in my list.

I discovered this by it being the only "Land Rover" in Silver - but strangely the model was "UNKNOWN"

HPI Check purchased and the Vin matches.

Totally clean UK History, that actually backs up the mileage - WoooHooo

So I gladly took the flight the next morning after only 4 hours of sleep.

Post #218908523rd Nov 2020 8:22 pm
McAdam

ITS MINE

So I arrived, Called the Dealer, Asked to see the car on a Sunday afternoon... He was ok-ish with it.

Checked it out, interior condition matches the mileage.

This car is a super early 2004... in fact... its the 264th V8 to roll off the line according to the Vin Number... And its LHD with MPH Clocks but not US Spec...

BUT:
This is a HSE, but the only place thats written is on the boot badge. Neither the UK nor the Spanish docs list any kid of trim level.

Remember this is a super super early 2004.
This is my list of what it has based on my knowledge:

What it has that confirms HSE:
Nav Screen (no 4x4i)
Folding Mirrors
Full Electric Leather Seats
Xenon
Front Foggies
Harmon Kardon sound system (I dont see anything that says Logic 7)
Phone Connection (not bluetooth I think)
Full Size Spare
19" Wheels
Rear PDC (dosnt work 😒)

What its missing that doubts HSE:
No Sunroofs
No Rear Climate Controls
No Rear Audio Controls

Factory Options it has:
Front Spotlights (LR BRANDING)
Side Steps (matches LR parts photos Perfectly)
LR Side Door Bumpers
LR Mud Flaps
LR Removable Heigh Adjustable Tow Bar (missing Keys)
LR Roof Rack System with some Basket Thing with small spots on (Left it at the dealer, he had to remove it as the MOT guys said the lights were not acceptable...)

Right now I am still deciding if I should take the roof racks or not... Would have to transport inside the car as additional height would add on a lot to the price of the ferry. And I also have to sleep in the car for 1 night on the way back.

The car had some blemishes, and some recent repairs due to faded/scratched paint. Photos of before were shown.

Negotiated a good deal, and done.

1st things first, before I even officially collected it: TINT

Its amazing how much tinting the windows can transform a car.

Then to an AC place to recharge all the gas... and thats it... I now own my next Landy...
And here she is.
Will add more photos from my journey tomorrow.

I want to give a big thanks to maxbasscat for coming up with a backup plan for me. I was seriously tempted to cancel my flight to spain and instead head to the UK to pick up his car, but it would have added a whole week to my time away from home and the office as the ferry only runs weekly due to Covid Sad

Thanks P

Click image to enlarge

Post #218908923rd Nov 2020 8:41 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Specs on the early D3’s were all over the place I believe, wouldn’t be to concerned.
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #218909323rd Nov 2020 8:55 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Congratulations! Looks like it was well-bought. Lots of fun doing all the servicing thingies like transmission oil, in fact all oils, MAF cleaning, replace PCV, check the belts, etc. It's a lovely engine to work on - you won't be disappointed.
 PAGODA  
Post #218909523rd Nov 2020 8:59 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Lookin’ good - welcome to pretty exclusive V8 Club Thumbs Up

Post #218910023rd Nov 2020 9:08 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Congratulations!

Regarding:

What its missing that doubts HSE:
No Sunroofs
No Rear Climate Controls
No Rear Audio Controls

Do not know about sunroofs, BUT

Not all HSE’s have rear climate fitted.... my, MY 06 build ‘05 HSE hasn’t

Rear audio controls, is also only with logic7 system... but HSE had two hi-line options, one was logic7, the other was not, therefore no rear audio controls then...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #218910123rd Nov 2020 9:08 pm
McAdam

Thanks for all the comments.

@Adam
Thats what made me go for it, the fact that LR seemed to not have a lot of things ready to install early on, so they just didnt fit them to some cars.

@pagoda
Yup, its been a few years since I had some fun on an LR V8 - this is actually my 3rd one after owning both a Disco 1 v8 (converted to LPG) and an Disco 2 V8 (US Spec).
First thing I bought were some tools from a local shop.

@kajtzu
Thanks for the welcome. Luckily fuel prices on the islands are about 0.91€ / L for very good quality fuel, so a V8 there isnt as bad as the UK (about 1.30€ where I used to live). Oh and I hate deisels... I hate EGR problems and DPF Regens that happen at random times Very Happy

@Motolab
Thanks for sharing that, I was really hoping for it, but its ok I guess.
Will have to look for it when i upgade to a D4 Very Happy
 Pre-Production
D3 V8 #264
LHD '04 HSE
Living its life as a 50/50 On/Off road car exploring the Canary Islands 

Post #218910523rd Nov 2020 9:15 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

European HSE spec at that time was more like UK SE spec, which sounds about right given you don’t have the 4x4 nav, panoramic roof, no rear audio controls. Do you have the speakers in the “D” pillar trims?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #218910923rd Nov 2020 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Finding the UK Reg

McAdam wrote:
It Is Mine!!

So the night before my flight I was seriously thinking about cancelling my trip. The history of the car seriously worried me, so I did what I do best (and what my wife hates most) - Obsess!

I had the vin number, but no other info about the car.
Find the UK Reg of a car by its Vin number is simply not a service that anyone offers.

So I tried every single "check your car site" and found one single place that filled in the next bit of the puzzle: https://isitnicked.com/

Putting the VIN number in there returned a partial plate - ****CTE

Next was to try and find a site that allowed me to run almost unlimited car queries for free...

Then I wrote a small script that generated links to that website, for each and every single possible reg.
First I started with 05 as thats what the spanish docs said the car was...
Then 54...
Then 04...

A total of almost 2100 possible car regs. After about 1500 manually opened links, I had seriously almost given up. My wife was already furious that I am stuck at my laptop the day before I travelled somewhere risky for a week... so I carried on.
It was number 2000 .... the damn reg of the car was the 2000th in my list.

I discovered this by it being the only "Land Rover" in Silver - but strangely the model was "UNKNOWN"

HPI Check purchased and the Vin matches.

Totally clean UK History, that actually backs up the mileage - WoooHooo

So I gladly took the flight the next morning after only 4 hours of sleep.

Congratulations - determination and obsession payed off Laughing I'm so glad that you posted this, so I can show my wife that i'm not the only one in the world with this personality trait Very Happy
60 cars though Shocked I doubt I could get to twenty inc company cars that were changed every 3 years

Post #218915724th Nov 2020 8:39 am
Mav 90

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I had a pre-production D3 V8(my friend still has it). I strongly suspect yours was originally a factory registered car also.

you will probably be interested in this: http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/collec...-vehicle#v

I would also highly recommend you consider contacting/joining the CVC register.

I think your car is probably more historically significant/interesting than you realise.

If you start pulling bits of trim off you will probably find build stickers with 'prototype' stamped on them.

I'm sure by your self confessed description of "obsessive" you are about to spend even more time researching your car!

Good luck and enjoy!
 1974 S111 SWB 200di conversion, rag top, bronze green. Known as Munch
2004 pre-production D3 V8 HSE Tonga green, gone but buy back option!
2001 D2 4.0 V8 ES premium Epsom green - gone, but only round the corner!
1961 S11 SWB marine blue rag top - gone but not forgotten
2000 D2 4.0 V8 ES premium black - gone but not forgotten
1988 RR classic 3.5 V8 green - gone and nearly forgotten
1976 S111 LWB 2.25 diesel truck cab various shades of bronze green - gone and most definitely forgotten 

Post #218922624th Nov 2020 12:47 pm
McAdam

Martin wrote:
European HSE spec at that time was more like UK SE spec, which sounds about right given you don’t have the 4x4 nav, panoramic roof, no rear audio controls. Do you have the speakers in the “D” pillar trims?

There are indeed speakers in the D Pillar Very Happy

@Charliecloud
Yup, my wife is now used to it, and shes started to see many of the results of my obsession.
60 is a lot, but I love cars, Love driving, Love Fixing and Tinkering... Was never really into Footy or Beer, so this is my drug of choice Very Happy

@Mav 90

Wow, thanks for that... I am certain I will be pulling various panels off over time. Ill check out the CVC, thanks for that!"
 Pre-Production
D3 V8 #264
LHD '04 HSE

Post #218927124th Nov 2020 3:02 pm
McAdam

Mav 90 wrote:
you will probably be interested in this: http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/collec...-vehicle#v

I would also highly recommend you consider contacting/joining the CVC register.

I think your car is probably more historically significant/interesting than you realise.

HOLY SHEESH...

I am actually a bit... excited but cautious.

Turns out, this IS A PRE PRODUCTION model, registered by the factory in 04.
The one in the Dunsford Collection is #271 and mine is #264

Considering most of the Per Productions ones were scrapped or driven till death - this is a very very unique car.

I guess I will really have to take extra care with it now, its a major part of LR History.

There goes a lot of my modification ideas Very Happy

I sent an email to Duns, will see if they can share any additional information.
I guess it might also be time to get some better insurance on it, to ensure it lives on no matter what.

Thanks a lot Mav Very Happy
Would never have known.
 Pre-Production
D3 V8 #264
LHD '04 HSE

Post #218928124th Nov 2020 4:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >