DISCO4.COM > Africa

Landyworx Randburg - Heartburn
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RenierJ

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Landyworx Randburg - Heartburn

Hi All,

Been lurking a while as a guest but registered because I had to share this.....

I'm currently overseas and my vehicle is being driven by H.

I have been slowly upgrading my Discovery 3 and last week Tino fitted a drop down fridge slide (thanks Uys), rear ladder and suspension rods to my vehicle. As luck would have it the very next day (Friday) H was driving it and it went into limp mode with the suspension dropped. Anyway on recommendation based on all the good stuff in the forum I suggest to H to give Landyworx a call on Saturday morning, which she did. She explained to Ian what happened and Ian told her that they don't come out but would arrange with their recommended tow truck company to recover the car on Monday. The vehicle was recovered Monday afternoon and Tuesday afternoon H got a call from the receptionist at Landyworx wanting to know what's wrong with the vehicle. Not very reassuring that..... anyway by Wednesday lunch time H contacted them again as we still didn't know what was wrong (I feared compressor failure) with the vehicle. Late Wednesday afternoon Ian send H an email explaining that the steering rack ends need to be replaced as well as the left front wheel bearing. As it was on my list to do items I told H to let them do both the left & right wheel bearing as it would be just a matter of time for the right wheel bearing to fail.

The quote was R3500-00 per bearing/hub + R912-00 Labour (each side) as well as R3425-00 for the steering rack ends + R912-00 labour and of course R320-00 for wheel alignment. Since everybody on the forum recommends Landyworx H gave them the blessing to go ahead this morning (Thursday). However I then asked H to get a quote from Waterford Land Rover and here is the heartburn...... Waterford quoted her wait for it ......R3208-00 + R775-00 labour VAT inclusive for the wheel bearing / hubs....

H then phoned Ian and he agreed to match Waterford on the spare prices....

This being my first experience with Landyworx has left me no option but to reconsider who is going to do the the 148 000km service on my car. I have bought Koni FSD shocks, new EBS brake discs and pads, and planned to get a new alternator, new compressor, new wheel bearings, brake cylinder kits, and do all bushes (Range Rover Sport), suspension links, gearbox flush, diff oil changes, belts, and anything else that needed changing by October / November this year. I was budgeting about R50K for this (plus the major items bought by then like alternator & compressor, shocks etc). Based on my experience with Landyworx I can go to the "stealers" and save money....

For those that read this far the moral of this tale is:

Don't believe everything you read in the forums and "Buyer Beware" as I have now learned again!

Having said all of this I have only had great service from Tino (www.g4outdoor.co.za) and he wouldn't even invoice me for the services rendered until he was sure it had nothing to do with the suspension failure. (Tino if you read this please send your invoice now!)

Greetings,

Renier

Post #113594525th Jul 2013 11:33 am
RenierJ

Ok the car is now ready for collection:

The invoice does not show any work being done on the steering rack ends (the reason the suspension apparently collapsed) nor any tow truck charges...

So either they didn't fix the steering rack ends or forgot to bill that work.... which leaves H now doubting the reliability of the car and the quality of the repairs... I mean what repair shop forgets to charge you for the main reason the car was in for repairs?

I see the car going back to Waterford Land Rover to check that the work was actually done..... Question
 "The Older I get the faster I was"

Current Vehicle:
2007 Discovery 3 HSE V8 (Work in progress)

Previously:
2007 Range Rover Supercharged
2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 (averaged 6 km/l according to the onboard computer)
2005 Discovery 3 S 4.0 V6
2004 Discovery 2 XS TD
2003 Discovery 2 XS TD5 

Post #113603825th Jul 2013 2:09 pm
GuySA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Wow, parts prices are expensive up there in Jhb. I just did the rack ends on my D3 I bought a couple months ago in order to get it through roadworthy.

The price for the complete rack ends, tie rods, balljoints and boots for both sides was R1380 from LP4A in Westmead.

The fitting I did myself, jacking the car up and matching the lengths of the new assemblies with the old ones were the hardest and most time consuming bits of the job.

Also just to let you know, I don't see any way that the rack ends or any worn steering component can cause a suspension fault. A worn rack end will not cause the suspension to collapse. It will only cause play within the steering. That would be a roadworthy fail but unless it is a significantly large amount of play there would be no problem driving the car until it can be seen to.
 Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling in the mud with a pig.... After a while you realise you are dirty and the pig likes it.  
Post #113642326th Jul 2013 9:40 am
RenierJ

OK so H went to fetch the car today.

Well apparently the steering rod ends were not replaced because "they were still good for 10 000kms"... so why put it on the quote then in the first place?

....and guess what ......5 km from home (about 15km from Landyworx) the same thing happened again and the suspension dropped again.....

Nice work Landyworx !

Current Vehicle:

Previously:
2004 Discovery 2 XS TD
2003 Discovery 2 XS TD5 

Post #113651026th Jul 2013 12:14 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

D4JWW wrote:
My 2cents,Renier sorry to hear about your bad experience as you say all members normally report good service, but I also send my dad along to Landyworx to sort out a intermitted suspension drop problem and remove the cat from his D3, it involved driving from Potch on the bumpstops,they were to busy to sort out or diagnose the suspension problem in one day(my dad would never stay over in Gauteng) and said the cat was removed already( which I doubted because the previous owner imported it from Uk). My dad had to return with the problem and waited for weeks to get the oil analysis report which was done as part of the oil service. The suspension was fixed by a recalibrate at the dealer in Potch(not on my recommendation) the calibration issue was caused by me loading wrong values while playing with suspension heights 6 months earlier, so this can be forgiven. But when I checked the car the cat was still in place clearly no one checked it at Landyworx, so yes they are human and far to busy would be my explanation, but never the less not what you expect after reading all the posts.
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #113669826th Jul 2013 8:07 pm
tgwinduna

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Renier J
I am the owner of Landyworx. I or any member of my business has ever dealt with you and we do not know who you are. On investigating we are currently dealing with a Helen who has been having issues with a silver disco 3 V8 with a whole lot of accessories fitted to it. I presume this the vehicle you are talking about.
Firstly I would like to stress is that I run a very motivated customer service orientated business, too us " Customer Service" is not anything BUT EVERYTHING. Why did you choose to bring this issue to the forum when you have my contact details and even more your Helen is very happy with the way we are handling your problem and in fact your car is still with us with an intermittent air suspension wiring problem on the rear cross over valve and the rear stabilizer bar was loose of left loose, I will not point fingers and leave it up to you.
However my dilemma is Your car is still in my workshop and you are jumping the gun trying to discredit my reputation maybe for other reasons. I also would like to know how you would have felt if Waterford spent hours and hours diagnosing another human fault and hit you with a R700.00 plus per hour bill amounting to thousands.
Please advise if you want this shoddy workshop as implied to carry on fixing other peoples problems or would you please uplift to another facility.

Peter

Post #113803330th Jul 2013 3:02 pm
tgwinduna

RenierJ wrote:
OK so H went to fetch the car today.

Well apparently the steering rod ends were not replaced because "they were still good for 10 000kms"... so why put it on the quote then in the first place?

....and guess what ......5 km from home (about 15km from Landyworx) the same thing happened again and the suspension dropped again.....

Nice work Landyworx !

Hi Renier
Would you have preferred the we were dishonest and replaced them for your account.
As explained to Helen the fault is intermittent open connection to the cross over valve.

Peter

Post #113803530th Jul 2013 3:10 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Can two parties involved here take this "off forum" to resolve please Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #113804230th Jul 2013 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tgwinduna

RenierJ wrote:

The invoice does not show any work being done on the steering rack ends (the reason the suspension apparently collapsed) nor any tow truck charges...

So either they didn't fix the steering rack ends or forgot to bill that work.... which leaves H now doubting the reliability of the car and the quality of the repairs... I mean what repair shop forgets to charge you for the main reason the car was in for repairs?

I see the car going back to Waterford Land Rover to check that the work was actually done..... Question

Hi Renier
Just to report back a further finding on your car.
1. The rear stabilizer bar was causing the vehicle to be unstable hence Helen's frantic phone call my facility having to recover the car with a flat bed. You noticed no charges for towing , News for you.
2. The rack ends had a little play in them WE did not deem it necessary to replace them at this stage saving you money which you obviously do not appreciate.
3. We have notice the rear multiple plug connector feed in the two rear height sensors and cross over valve must have been dislodged when the rear bumper was removed for extra fitment. ALSO there a rip off Johnson rods fitted and they are adjustable , and guess what they are all at different heights causing height sensor faults.

Sorry about all the egg.
When your account is settled you may remove the car to Waterford to check our work.
Take care

Peter

Post #113804630th Jul 2013 4:08 pm
hgbosch

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Hi have been using Landyworx for our 2005 D3 TDV6 for two years now. In this time they worked on a few items such as a new turbo etc.

In December and January the car was immobile due to 2 separate electronic issues. The first one was a faulty yaw sensor which was rectified with one from the scrapyard. No further issues since.

The second one was more difficult. We got stuck on top of Sani Pass in Lesotho and couldn't get the vehicle out of park anymore. This was after an extremely bad stretch of rough track, which shook the vehicle around quite badly.

The fault logged was "Park lock solenoid open circuit". All the usual checks that lead to this type of misbehaviour were probed and did not work. Peter then went through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. To cut the long story short, they eventually found the fault in a connector, where during vehicle assembly, a pin had been dislocated and was making bare contact. The problem only manifested itself when the vehicle had run for 15 minutes or more.

Peter and his team must have spent about 60 hours on this vehicle. Once fixed he handed me the keys and said sorry that it took so long.

It might be interesting to note, that I was NEVER charged for the time they used to find the fault.

But that is Peter and that is exactly the reason why their workshop is full, the staff are happy and the customers come back.

In the motortrade there is a saying:

The true manifestation of workshop service quality is: WHEN THE CUSTOMER COMES BACK AND NOT THE CAR!!!
 EX AFRICA SEMPER ALIQUID NOVI
SEMPER IN FAECIBUS SUMUS SOLE, PROFUNDUM VARIAT Shocked

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi (sold)
And some more serious stuff 

Post #113830231st Jul 2013 7:43 am
hgbosch

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

tgwinduna wrote:
RenierJ wrote:

Hi Renier
Just to report back a further finding on your car.
1. The rear stabilizer bar was causing the vehicle to be unstable hence Helen's frantic phone call my facility having to recover the car with a flat bed. You noticed no charges for towing , News for you.
2. The rack ends had a little play in them WE did not deem it necessary to replace them at this stage saving you money which you obviously do not appreciate.
3. We have notice the rear multiple plug connector feed in the two rear height sensors and cross over valve must have been dislodged when the rear bumper was removed for extra fitment. ALSO there a rip off Johnson rods fitted and they are adjustable , and guess what they are all at different heights causing height sensor faults.
Sorry about all the egg.
When your account is settled you may remove the car to Waterford to check our work.
Take care

Peter

We call this owner induced failure Rolling with laughter
 EX AFRICA SEMPER ALIQUID NOVI
SEMPER IN FAECIBUS SUMUS SOLE, PROFUNDUM VARIAT Shocked

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi (sold)
And some more serious stuff 

Post #113830531st Jul 2013 7:47 am
RenierJ

It's Friday night the 2nd of August 2013 and guess what?

I still don't have the Discovery back... why? Because the good people from Landyworx has not found the fault yet. So much for Peter's claims earlier this week.....and just to clarify three issues Peter:

1. Your quote for the wheel bearings were more expensive than Waterford's for both the parts and the labour. My point was that people should not assume that Indies are cheaper than the "Stealers".

2. What I did not appreciate was the fact that you guys quoted H for the rack ends in the first place if it only had a little play? Why would you do that if you are out to safe me money? It seems more like you were trying to make a quick buck out of a woman?

"3. We have notice the rear multiple plug connector feed in the two rear height sensors and cross over valve must have been dislodged when the rear bumper was removed for extra fitment. ALSO there a rip off Johnson rods fitted and they are adjustable , and guess what they are all at different heights causing height sensor faults. "

The rear bumper was removed about 5 months ago for the Spare Wheel carrier - which makes that a very unlikely cause. ALSO we told Ian from the start that the Johnson rods were fitted, so if they were the problem why didn't you say so and fix the car last week? It would have taken no more than an hour to replace the Johnson rods and recalibrate the suspension?

Peter, I have only heard great things about Landyworx and that's why you got my business, however I have not experienced any of your great service in the last two weeks.

You as the owner has not bothered to keep H updated on your progress or lack there of even after I started this thread, and if you were fair you would have come back on the forum and admitted "OK we got it wrong twice declaring the car fixed" ... and lastly if the work performed on my vehicle was up to your normal high standards you would have only received praise from me, the only thing that can ruin your reputation is the actions or lack of actions by your staff..... you can not expect customers to keep quiet about poor service.

Current Vehicle:

Previously:
2004 Discovery 2 XS TD
2003 Discovery 2 XS TD5 

Post #11394672nd Aug 2013 10:16 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >