Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Large "thump" when accelerating after decelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Ruper

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Maya GoldLR3
Another California Stop issue here

I have read on another forum Land Rovers Only or North I think whichever is the more American board that this guy changed the solenoids and valve body sleeves and his issue went away. Not sure if it has stayed at bay, and someone earlier in this thread mentioned their auto-box and TC had been replaced only for it to return.
My latest thought is torque converter however I am getting no other shudder issues which point there.

It was LR Only and here is a link. I plan to deal with it until spring/summer and then tackle it as I hope to do some trail running.

https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/lr3...ost-211960
 2005 Land Rover D3, 4.4L V8, Maya Gold Metallic
1966 Scout 800, 196 cu.in.
1975 Scout II, 392 cu.in. 

Post #211651328th Jan 2020 3:00 pm
Ruper

Tranny Re-Flash from GAP

Got the reflash for the tranny on Friday AM applied thereafter, and so far it has sorted this issue for me. Still have a little hard shift from 2nd to 3rd, but I can deal with that, it is nowhere near what it had been and the acceration on roll issue is gone so far.

Post #21180563rd Feb 2020 4:27 pm
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Not really sure if this is related or not. I have been trying to find an answer to my idle being a bit low and today I removed the induction hose and found the throttle body butterfly valve was sticking closed. By this I mean if I closed it, it rubbed for the last couple of mm and remained closed as the spring could not push it open again without a bit of help due to the friction.

So I went to town thinking I may have found it and empty'd a can of throttle body cleaner around it and also while I was there let her have a can of EGR cleaner too.

It didn't help the tickover at all but the on off throttle response is much better than before. I had the full accelerator down "pause" whack problem and now it seem's a lot better.

So looking to sort one problem I seem to have found at least part of the answer to another. Very Happy

It's clean now but still sticking very slightly before re assembly so I think the throttle body may have gone a bit out of shape, it's plastic and the butterfly is metal so heat might of played a part.

Anyone know if I'm barking up the right tree?
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #212796214th Mar 2020 4:09 pm
Ruper

May be related

When I was dealing with my diagnostic portion of my brain, very small mind you, I did think about the large thump of the trans possibly being related to the accelerator position sensor.
My thinking was if there was some kind of signal delay, then all of the sudden the signal went to wherever it goes to control the tranny, that it would then see the signal as 10 vice 1,2,3,4,5... etc.
Probably didn't explain well, but if pressure on the pedal was incrementally applied
(i.e. 1.2.3.4.5...) in a normal acceleration from start, that, in this scenario while rolling, the go pedal position sensor, cut out at lets say 2, as in 1,2 - 10, and then all of the sudden find the signal at 10, then the tranny would now jump into gear like the car was already going 5mph or so.
I don't think I was smoking anything at the time, but that's where I was at that time while pulling hair out.

Anyway mine was fixed with the trans ECU Flash mostly, and the rest I can control by stopping or feathering the go pedal. When I saw your post it made me think of what I had imagined while dealing with this.

Post #212865916th Mar 2020 7:40 pm
beckerperes

Brazil 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Large "thump" when accelerating after decelerating ....

Hello Lucio.
Today (year 2021) i have the same issue but anyone can find real issue.
Did you solve? Can explain how?
I'm from Brazil.
Thanks in advance.

luciogodoy wrote:
Hi all

For instance when reducing the speed to wait for the traffic light to change, just slowing down not stopping, and then accelerating (not hard) when the light goes green, I feel/ hear a large thump, which I believe is coming from the back.

Both diffs have new oil (year old), gearbox and transfer box with fresh oil (2 weeks). By the way this is not new, I thought the gearbox and transfer case oil change would solve the issue but it didn't.

I'm thinking propshaft?

Thanks

Lucio

Post #222106729th Mar 2021 3:09 pm
beckerperes

Hello Mikey.
And about you, the issue was done?
Help us. I'm from Brazil and no one can find real trouble.
A lot of maney was out Big Cry
BR, Leo.

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:
Thump is exactly as it was before. Does it in sport and auto modes

I know the rear diff is shafted and noisy, so will see how that goes first

Forgot about his thread.

Read diff replaced, still the same thump

Front prop is next on the hit list Rolling Eyes

Post #222107029th Mar 2021 3:18 pm
beckerperes

Hello Dai-Disco3. Did you solve your issue? Mine Disco4 have 94k km (or 58k miles) and have this thump.

Dai-Disco3 wrote:
Same issue on my 70k my09, changed all oils and Geoff. has done gearbox flush. Does seem to vary when it happens, but never consistent.

Sometimes slow right hand turn then left, then in straight line, so struggle with Diff as stress through it would differ in each of the three. The diff is silent so could only really be slack in pinion/crown wheel mating or perhaps in the spider gears, but its not consistent to point to these in my mind.
Doesn't appear to be any slack in prop and central bearing seems good.

So this leaves bushes in the arms and hub knuckle or poss anti roll bar, but there is no knocks or anything when suspension is moving, at least I know I am not alone. Neutral

If someone does establish why this is please shout long and hard there are a number who will benefit Smile
 Actual Disco4 TDV6 3.0 2010 SE
Old Disco3 V8 4.4 2008 HSE 

Post #22218962nd Apr 2021 1:02 pm
Wilki62

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My Disco 3 is 14 years old and heading towards 160k miles. Don't know if this is of help, but having had an uneven tick over develop I searched the Disco 3 forum and found that others had found that cleaning the MAPD sensor had helped cure this. Went ahead as suggested and found the hole in the MAPD sensor had been dramatically reduced to circa. 0.5mm compared to the circa 2.5mm when clean. Cleaned sensor with contact cleaner and re-fitted. Tick over was immediately better, and the driveability has improved considerably. This includes the transmission thump that was occurring on going from overrun to acceleration eg at a roundabout, which is now non-existent.

Post #227375719th Jan 2022 8:43 pm
beckerperes

Hello Wilki62. Could you tell me where sensor MAPD is?

Post #227376119th Jan 2022 8:57 pm
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi beckerperes

Check this link out, as it has tons of information...

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/go-clean-ma...map+sensor
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #227377519th Jan 2022 9:43 pm
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

For what's it worth I had the same problem on a 3500 rover many many years ago,bloody awful thump on acceleration,deceleration and pulling away on hills,i changed everything even put in another differential in and drive shafts ,gearbox mounts ,engine mounts ,prop uj joints,still couldn't solve it,then embarrassingly one day whilst had the car jacked up for brake replacement a nut rolled under the car,I crawled under it and in a panic after hearing a creaking noise (thinking the jack was giving way) I hunched up and caught my back on the rear prop and at that moment I felt it lift up quite someway,actually still in my panic to get out from under the car I still thought that was strange that shouldn't be like that.
So when I blocked the car up properly and inspected as to the reason why there was so much slack I felt myself getting so embarrassed and stupid (I was glad I was under the car as there no-one could see my red blushing cheeks)as to the reason why,and all the work and expenses on needless parts was not needed.
It was the center bearing bolt that holds the center bearing housing onto the chassis it was completely undone and worn part through down its length and near impossible to remove,so basically it was jumping up and down moving at least three inches each time it clunked
It must have been like this for sometime that's why it had so many owners and I got it cheap.
A new bolt fitted and hey presto a perfect running car.
Guess the moral here is check and check again before spending out your hard earned cash on something that my not be needed as described on this post by many of you.
And those of you who have I thank you for trying,as it will have saved me hundreds of Spon doolies trying to do the same.
After all the dribble mine has just started clunking at times and quite loudly and this post has explained all to me as why or possibly why (166k 2005 D3 HSE ) so I have stopped worrying about it now,for that I thank you.
Pete
 pete truckle  
Post #227392920th Jan 2022 6:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
beckerperes

Hi all!
I cleaned the sensors and the problem did not resolve. we also looked for gaps, bad screws or worn bushings and found nothing. Let's keep looking and find it posted here. thank you all.

Post #228015621st Feb 2022 10:10 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi @ beckerperes

If you’ve checked absolutely everything , there is a thing called a California stop , plse have a read of the link to see if you have the same systems

If so there’s an update that u can get

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/california-...ornia+stop

Hope that helps

Post #228016121st Feb 2022 10:23 pm
KirrieDisco

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
After replacing my front propshaft, the clunk vanished

Upon checking, there is a minute amount of play in each CV joint on the shaft. The clunk is taking up the slack in these as the power is reapplied Thumbs Up

Hi Mike,

Are the front props the same between manual and auto?

Cheers

Eddie

Post #228568929th Mar 2022 8:09 pm
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just a thought could the thump be the 2 massive dampers at the back swinging about if the rubbers on the weights were worn they might swing a bit too far and hit the chassis.?? Question Question Question Question

Post #228578830th Mar 2022 1:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >