DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

latest ipod/iphone lead ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
rsk21

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
latest ipod/iphone lead ?

Hello all,

We have the ipod lead in our D4 which does not charge the latest gen iPod Touch/IPhone.

This was an FOC option at the time we bought the car (Sept 09). WE have added the Scosche powerport adaptor which means that we can charge both devices. Downside is it's bulky and it is not actually iPhone compatible hence it charges only.

AM I correct in believing that this lead has now been replaced by a newer version which costs £25 ?

Does this new lead charge the newer devices and does it also allow an iPhone to both charge and provide music ?

Anybody know the part number ?

TIA

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #66243819th Jun 2010 4:45 pm
rsk21

Nobody with a late model D4 and iPod connector able to tell me if it charges the their iPhone directly ?
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #66261620th Jun 2010 8:35 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Depends of which Iphone you have to be honest....Apple play their usual games in swapping the asessories about, the iphone 2g and 3g leads are different, they both work on each others leads, but the 2g wont charge the 3g........ Evil or Very Mad

No doubt the 4g lead will be completely different, and why LR keep giving up on proper ipod/iphone integration

Post #66262320th Jun 2010 8:59 am
rsk21

I know that mate - apologies should perhaps have been clearer in my initial post.

The "old" i.e. the available at launch as an FOC option lead (the one we have) does not charge latest generation Ipod Touch or Ipod 3g/3GS unless you add the Scosche adaptor (which we have)

I *believe* that there may be a newer lead available now direct from LR which does charge these newer models and is fully iPhone compatible (the Scosche adaptor is not) and that said lead is available from dealers from £25.

What I'm trying to ascertain is whether or not my belief is correct and is this lead actually enhanced to work with all IPods/IPhones or is it just a change in pricing policy from LR.

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #66265320th Jun 2010 11:03 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There has been no change by Apple in the leads from iphone 2G upto the latest I4, they all charge all the devices including the ipad.

Pom

Post #66268520th Jun 2010 12:52 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My old 2g lead (OEM Apple), does'nt charge my 3g and vice versa..................Although some people could, but not ALL

Post #66268920th Jun 2010 1:03 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

mac sure you have it plugged in the the right way round!

Pom

Post #66269220th Jun 2010 1:35 pm
rsk21

Chaps thanks for the replies but I'm clearly not doing a very good job explaining myself here am I !!

I am fully aware of which OEM Apple leads charge which generations of iPod/iPod touch.

Sadly the LR lead provided as an FOC option on the early build Discovery 4 does not charge second generation iPod Touches or IPhones from the 3G onwards. This is despite the fact the charging pin configurations were changed by Apple some way before LR launched the product. To make one of the leads in question charge an Ipod Touch 2g/Iphone from 3G onwards one needs to purchase something called a Scosche powerport adaptor which I have done. Sadly this is bulky and not an officially supported iPhone accessory.

I would really like a single lead (without the need for a further adaptor) from LR which charges all generations of iPod and interfaces directly with the IPhone to both charge and access the music library. Hence my question is does the fact that LR now charge £25 for the previously FOC lead mean they have updated so that it now charges these newer models.
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #66284920th Jun 2010 9:45 pm
uttanutta

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

rsk21 --
In my D4 which only arrived 25 days ago the FOC ipod/iphone lead recognises and charges my ipod and my 3gs iphone. It does come up with the warning that it is not made for my iphone and I should go to airplane mode but I ignore that and it then commences to charge. I can make calls from the phone via the bluetooth connection (screen or steering wheel buttons) and can receive calls but I do have to accept the call via the iphone rather than via the screen or the steering wheel controls. The connection also transfers dialed/missed/received call info as well as full phonebook entries.
Apart from the answering via the phone, it works perfectly.
 Discovery 4 the greatest 4wd on the planet. LandRover the worst customer service imaginable. Do you have to put up with one to experience the other? Apparently yes!!!!  
Post #66287821st Jun 2010 5:51 am
rsk21

Thanks Nutta Thumbs Up

When the iPhone is connected can you also access sit as an iPod and play the music on it ?

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #66288621st Jun 2010 7:35 am
uttanutta

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Yep, works perfectly.
Others have bigger issues as per other posts, but I have been lucky and only have one small glitch being the answering via phone only. If I answer via the screen or steering wheel buttons it diverts the call straight to the phone and bypasses the bluetooth. (I dont know why but...)
 Discovery 4 the greatest 4wd on the planet. LandRover the worst customer service imaginable. Do you have to put up with one to experience the other? Apparently yes!!!!  
Post #66294921st Jun 2010 11:06 am
SazzaG

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Our March 10 D4 works absolutely fine with the LR cable, with both an iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Both charge, play music, etc. and the iPhone has never had any problems with calls - can use steering wheel buttons, screen buttons, or voice activation for dialling.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

Post #66364222nd Jun 2010 8:39 pm
umbertob

United States 

If you have an earlier build 2010 with an iPod interface cable unable to charge latest gen iPod Touch or iPhone 3G/3GS (unless you purchase the bulky Scosche PassPort adapter), it appears all that's needed to retrofit your vehicle to later MY2010 and 2011 "standards" may be the updated USB/iPod receptacle located under the center arm rest. A RRS owner on our forum successfully tested this receptacle with her iPhone that would previously not charge in her early build 2010 RRS. The interface cable / lead should be the same, what's changed is the female connector the lead attaches to. See: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php...p;start=15
 Umberto B
2006 RRS HSE white / ebony / lux / RSE / PTI / LRD / Sirius. Going, going...
2013 LR4 HSE red / arabica / black pack / 7-seat lux / HD pack / RSE / Vison Assist / Sirius 

Post #69303214th Sep 2010 11:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

rsk if it is same as D3 iPod kit you will need a new lead for the iPhone 4 as it wants a different input voltage. Had to change that on my LR ACM kit as it would play but not charge. Got mine from Nick @ Yeovil, our resident parts god!

Post #69305515th Sep 2010 5:58 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Rsk21 go to your supplying dealer and explain problem ask them to try a new lead in your car,am sure they will help as you have just spent lots of beer tokens with them. Then if it works try to get them to replace it under warranty, failing that ask nick to supply one at the D3 rate. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #69306615th Sep 2010 7:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >