Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Europe

The Law in France?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
The Law in France?

I will be going to France in July - an area to the east of Avingon near Mont Ventoux.
Whilst I am there I would quite like to consider a little time off road if time permits - I am not thinking about anything very serious.

What I am not sure about is what the current rules are. I have tried a few websites but they appear a little contradictory. There are appear to be lost of classification: - chemins communaux, chemins ruraux, chemins d’exploitation, voies privées ouvertes.

I have previously bought iGN maps, which appear a bit like our OS but these only seem to show chemins d’exploitation.

Can anyone advise? The last thing I want to do is appear an ignorant foreinger giving a bad name to the British and 4x4 owners.

Post #623876th Jun 2006 8:16 pm
Chris200100

Wales 

there was some about off roading in france and other countries in one of the landrover mags last month.

i'll dig out a few copys I got and have alook what it said.

If my memory is right you can go where ever as long as there is no privite rd sign.

Post #624226th Jun 2006 10:33 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I'll try to post more on this in a few days...

Right now, I am a bit busy... Confused
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #626548th Jun 2006 6:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dakota

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

circulaire Olin , Crying or Very sad way prohibits has any circulation, Evil or Very Mad
 discovery 3  
Post #627488th Jun 2006 5:41 pm
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hmm, Gurvan must be very busy ...

Don't like to see the message unanswered for so long, so here's my two penniesworth:

Chemin communal

Normal country road maintained by a commune (village/town) rather than the departement (county). Usually surfaced, I think.

Chemin rural

Track "maintained" by a commune. Usually unsurfaced, I think. (We live on one, and it's a mud track, but the commune does come round with a tractor and fill in the larger potholes, and even rebuilt part of the surface on a hill in earth!).

Chemin d'explotation

Private road/track which simply enables access to various parcels of land together. Not normally a through route. Owners of parcels of land have right to use. See www.ofme.org/documents/ForetPrivee/fiches/635103.pdf if you read French.

Voie prive ouverte

Private road/track. I think that only those who own the road have the right to use it, but use by others is tolerated.

There's a whole load of legal stuff about it on www.foretpriveefrancaise.com/Dossiers_them...4.html?1=1

... again if you read French.

It does however say that the environment law says that in principle motorised vehicles are banned in private forests and the "natural spaces" unless they are using "voies privees ouvertes".

I also founds an official circular which seems to say that the only one of the above which you can't use is the chemin d'exploitation, but perhaps Gurvan can confirm this.

Post #6358014th Jun 2006 10:59 am
tony bennett

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

IAn,
I got this reply when clicking your link

Afflicted! The page that you ask does not exist any more or changed address (error 404).
Thank you to point out to the webmaster this anomaly: which information did you seek? from which did you come?

What do you want to make now?

(Right Clicking gives a translation on my computer)
 regards
tony
05 "Battlestar Galactica"
In 7 years ownership
09/13 New Battery (I did that)
11/13 new alternator. (I did that)
2 x EGR Blanked. (I did that ) 

Post #6364314th Jun 2006 2:59 pm
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Ian,

Thanks for the reply - I will ask my wife to translate - but this will give the game away Wink

David

Post #6372114th Jun 2006 6:43 pm
IanD

Tony:

Funny about the links, they work for me. You should have said "right clicking gives a load of !"£$ on my computer!)

Bluebarchetta:

If you need any more info so as not to give the game away, let me know.

Post #6373414th Jun 2006 8:14 pm
Gurvan

Sorry... Embarassed

Yes you are right IanD, I am quite busy at the moment as I am NOT in France for a while... Wink You can find informations on where I am here : http://unomig.org/ And no... There are no Land Rovers here ! Wink

What you wrote seems correct to me but does'nt take into account the problems that our "Sinister of Ecology" created with an infamous "circulaire" that bears its name...

Namely, nowadays, the Law is not THAT clear anymore and you can get arrested and fined even though you are perfectly legit because that "Circulaire" says that the byway you are using "must be usable by a normal car without any special caracteristics that would allow it to be used in Off-road situation" to be considered open...

That opens a lot of loopholes through which, basically, you can be arrested and fined...

It will probably depend :
- on the circumstances of your use of the byway,
- whether or not you are in a "Parc Naturel",
- if the byway you are using is marked as a "GR" (Grande Randonnée : stands for the byways which are clearly indicated using usually red and white paint markers and "supposedly" reserved for pedestrians though no law says so... Some 4x4er were heavily fined in Brittany. The court used this argument even though all the rest of the circumstances were legitimate and despite the fact that certain streets in Paris are considered a GR !)
- the mood of the guy arresting you,
- the local policy of the mayor who might or not intervene`
- and so on...

I should not say that but playing the "dumb foreigner" who does'nt speak French might help up to a point... Wink

There are more discussion/information in the post opened by Penguin and called "Is there interest in a weekend trip to Champagne region?" : http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4640&highlight=

Basically my point is, as long as you are reasonable and courteous, everything SHOULD go well... But, nobody, nowadays, can assure you of that ! There have been cases of people being harrassed and sued "pour l'exemple"... This is the situation right now in France and I am a little bit sad and angered about it...

Next year will be an election year in France and considering the disproportionnate weight that the "Green" have in this country, I am not optimistic for the future and fear that we will go the way of Germany or Switzerland and forbide off-roading nearly completely...

Enjoy it responsibly while you still can... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #6379415th Jun 2006 5:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gurvan

I should add that the Mont Ventoux area has become a very posh region indeed with a lot of celebrities and so on having colonized its western slopes and the area around Apt. It has become fashionable to own a "Mas" (provencal house but with a swimming pool instead of a sheep pen !) over there...

Thus, they don't want to be distrubed by "mechanic noises"... It would spoil their relaxation... Evil or Very Mad

So, be careful and try out the northern slopes or going further east in between Apt and Barcelonette... Be also especially careful in the area immediately around and to the north of Carpentras... Lot of winery and those people will watch closely what you are doing...

If I remember correctly but I cannot check for obious reasons, there have been one or two itinerarys published in certains French magazines. But even those by not be sure a 100%... Off-roading in France is becoming a little bit like Russian Roulette : funny but it can lead to a lot of stress... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #6379515th Jun 2006 5:28 am
IanD

No LRs, but some of these, which could be quite fun:

Quote:
There have been cases of people being harrassed and sued "pour l'exemple"... This is the situation right now in France

Thought it always was Wink I was done for a red light which I didn't do once Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ... no, no calm down, don't get started on French "justice".

Quote:
whether or not you are in a "Parc Naturel"

Since we are, we must be careful not to get arrested on the way home !

Post #6383815th Jun 2006 10:23 am
Gurvan

"Those" as you say are Nyalas... Armored, mine-proof (But I don't intend to try that...), automatic gearshifting, 8,4T, 167HP and 560Nm (Mercedes engine), Aircon... They are build in south Africa.

Fun, but slow, noisy and bouncy ! Crying or Very sad

I miss my DIII !!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

But then, I have my driving licence for those since two days ago ! Laughing Whistle

As for the rest, I agree, don't start me either on the French judicial system... Sad

And be careful about coming out of a byway in your "Parc Naturel du Vexin" if I am mistaken... Wink

Just be careful is mostly what I mean... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #6384315th Jun 2006 10:34 am
tony bennett

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like non basque Spain might be better at this rate Whistle
 regards
tony
05 "Battlestar Galactica"
In 7 years ownership
09/13 New Battery (I did that)
11/13 new alternator. (I did that)
2 x EGR Blanked. (I did that ) 

Post #6384615th Jun 2006 10:35 am
Gurvan

Could be but down south... South of the French border they can also be obnoxious if I believe what I read...

But yes, France might not be as good for off-roading as it was...

And somewhere that is the point of those tree-huggers... Evil or Very Mad
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #6384715th Jun 2006 10:42 am
IanD

Fun and bouncy maybe, but I shouldn't think that the Nyala stops too well considering its likely weight and looking at the size of its brake discs!

Yes it is the Vexin. I presume that living along one constitutes legitimate "circumstances of use of the byway", so we should be OK.

Post #6387515th Jun 2006 2:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >