Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Lazy entry...or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Lazy entry...or not

I have been using this (and having problems with it) for a while. In fact it's been so intermittent, I can't remember when it should work.

So my question is...when should the car start setting the seat in the position set for that key fob:

A. when you unlock the car?
B. when you put the key into the ignition?

Guy Salmon have sort-of fixed it under warranty so at least it sets it to the right position now (rather than random), but only when you put the key into the ignition. I'm sure that when I first had it - and once, when I first got it back after it was "fixed" - it was doing (A) whereas now it is only doing (B)....or did I imagine it?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
 Andrew 

Last edited by Andrew Hebron on 3rd Aug 2010 10:36 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #66625029th Jun 2010 8:58 pm
turboted

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

When unlocking the car.
 Club how do I join a club
Club do I just write it here 

Post #66625329th Jun 2010 9:01 pm
flinty99

England 

What did they change? Mine has a memory of its own.

And mine chooses its random position when I put the key in the ignition.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #66628129th Jun 2010 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew Hebron

flinty99 wrote:
What did they change? Mine has a memory of its own.

And mine chooses its random position when I put the key in the ignition.

They changed the electric seat module under advice from LR. Part of the problem was explaining the issue to the service receptionists as it always got translated as a problem with the seat memory by the time it got to the technician. In the end (they thought I was bonkers) they took me through to the workshop and fortunately the seat did a random effort in front them.

So it does at least move to the right place when the key is put into the ignition, but it doesn't work on unlock. Looks like two faults.
 Andrew  
Post #66629429th Jun 2010 10:14 pm
jimsmac

United Kingdom 

Mine works consistently (and to the correct position), when i put the key in the ignition. In addition I have the steering column adjustment set to 'Auto' which means that the steering wheel and seat don't set to final position until i start the car.

Post #66642830th Jun 2010 10:07 am
TheChief

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mine works fine for both my key fobs on pressing the unlock button not when the key is inserted.

Post #66644330th Jun 2010 10:35 am
Andrew Hebron

I'd still like to get some clarity on this, as the dealer is saying there is no fault and it is easy to confuse a number of overlapping functions (and I was guilty with this by referring to "lazy entry" in my first post). I think there are 3:

1. 3 seat memories that can be set

2. lazy entry - moving the seat and wheel a bit to make it easier to get in and out as the key is taken out / put in the ignition

3. key fobs that remember the last seat position (even if it wasn't a memory one) and re-set it to that when unlocking the car

My issue is with number 3. I thought each key fob "remembered" the seat position when it was last used. In fact I know this to be the case because my key sets the seat to "my" position after my wife has used the car with her key...but this resetting of the seat position only happens when I put the key in the ignition...I thought it should be when I pressed "unlock" on the key fob.

What is other people's experience?
 Andrew  
Post #6791313rd Aug 2010 10:36 am
beelstar

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Andrew

My understanding and experience is the following.

Each fob has 3 possible seat/mirror positions that can be stored (making 6 in total across 2 keys). I have set all 3 seat positions for my fob to be the same and I've done the same for my wife's driving position on her fob (note I had to do it because she didn't know how Laughing )

As soon as the fob is used (assuming it's not the one used previously) the driver's seat and the wing mirrors adjust their positions to the one saved for that fob. The position changes start immediately that the fob is used to unlock the car.

I believe that the 'Lazy Entry' function means that the seat and mirrors adjust when the car is unlocked using the fob so I don't get my knees bashed on the dash when getting in after the wife has driven it Wink

I don't think mine has any kind of automatic recall of the last position used if it wasn't actually stored using the mem button. How it chooses which of the 3 settings for that fob to use when you unlock the car (assuming they are different) I don't know but there again I'm not 100% convinced of the value of having 3 different seat/mirror positions for the same fob...

Hope this helps.

Simon

Post #6791643rd Aug 2010 12:28 pm
Andrew Hebron

Having spoken to the technician, we seem to agree that the fob will "remember" the last seat memory position it was used for (I didn't realise it was 3 per key, I thought is was only 3 - full stop).

The disagreement is when this resetting occurs. He says that he has tried it on other MY08 Discos in the workshop and they all only reset the seat position when the key is inserted in the ignition and NOT when the fob is used to unlock it.

I wonder if this varies by MY?
 Andrew  
Post #6791743rd Aug 2010 12:54 pm
beelstar

Hi Andrew

So I guess it should revert to the previously chosen seat memory for that key.

Mine definitely changes when you unlock (you can stand next to it watching the seat and mirror move as you press the unlock button on the keyfob). It's MY05 but given that 'Lazy Entry' is supposed to make it easy to get in when someone else with shorter legs than you drove it last I would expect it should happen when unlocking the car and not when the key is placed into the ignition. I normally put the key in the ignition after I get in and I don't think I would be in the minority Wink

I would be very surprised if it varied by MY but I guess it's a possibility.

Good luck with it.

Simon

Post #6792153rd Aug 2010 2:59 pm
Andrew Hebron

Thanks Simon...that's what I thought!

Now the folks at Guy Salmon Thames Ditton (who have been fab, btw) have passed on the latest from LR Technical:

Apparantly my lazy entry will never work because I have had to have a replacement key fob.

If that's true, then there's some criminal software programming going on somewhere. Confused Rolling Eyes
 Andrew  
Post #6792173rd Aug 2010 3:06 pm
beelstar

Oh right. I know that the seat memory module works by recognising the key fob via some unique ID that each one has so if you've had a replacement then I guess the module would have to be updated to recognise that ID or something (can you tell I'm speculating here?! Laughing) Did it work when you unlocked the car with the previous fob??

If this function can't be used with a replacement key fob I am hoping never, ever to lose mine. Regular bruised knees almost certainly would be the result given the seat position difference between SWMBO and myself...

Post #6792213rd Aug 2010 3:50 pm
raftrey

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My take on 'lazy entry' is the seat and mirrors will return to the last known position they were in when that fob was last used regardless of any memory function on the seat itself.

Post #6792313rd Aug 2010 4:26 pm
beelstar

by the way my workshop manual confirms that lazy entry should be initiated on pressing the unlock button on the keyfob. Here's the relevant section.

Lazy Entry
Pressing the unlock button on the remote transmitter will initiate a memory recall.
This feature is known as 'lazy entry'. If the seat movement, memory switch or the
lock button on the remote transmitter is pressed, then the 'lazy entry' feature will
stop immediately.
The memory settings are stored within Electronic Erasable Programmable Read
Only Memory (EEPROM) of the memory control module each time the ignition
switch is cycled from position II to position I. These are the positional values that
a lazy entry request uses when the remote unlock button for that particular key is
next pressed.
The lazy entry feature can be activated or deactivated via the customer
personalisation feature of the high line instrument cluster. This provides the
driver with the option to enable or disable lazy entry as required.

Post #6792363rd Aug 2010 4:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >