Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LED rear stop lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

ridgeback_moor wrote:
Ultraleds will try to say there's nothing in the bulbs that causes interference, but there is! And it really winds you up after a while! Sorry I can't be more help, but i've been through the same with mine Confused
Thanks for the heads up ridgeback_moor, very helpful. Thumbs Up I’ll leave it until this afternoon to see if someone can post a solution or workaround but if nothing can be done I’ll phone Rob at Ultrleds and see what he has to say, I’ll report back. Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #33138612th Aug 2008 8:27 am
britindus

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

can some take me some CLOSE pictures of the circuit boards of these lamps

btw ......

I would be betting there is some kind of voltage/current regulator on the board

if these are poorly (ie cheap!) designed you can be sure they will generate RFI

the small voltage regs are nasty devices that will cause spikes if not decoupled or filtered

if they are cheap imports or bad design could well be a recipe for a mess!

anyone got any close ups of units?

thanks!

Thumbs Up

G4OC Committee Member - Marketing Officer

BN55 WPR 2006 G4 D3 Stage 3-4 Bolivia Team Germany

http://www.g4ownersclub.com 

Post #33144812th Aug 2008 10:36 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

The ultraled's bulbs are a cheap chinese junk that will flicker after 2 months MAX!! there output is very week comparing to the stock bulbs, especially when you apply the brakes. Their customer support isn't good either.
If you want the best, buy some real leds from http://www.spiderlite.com/ they aren't chinese made, will last forever, and will look 8)

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic21268.h...spiderlite
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #33148412th Aug 2008 12:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D'arkuk

Update.

I’ve just spoken to Rob from Ultraleds and he’s never heard of them (feed back through the radio) doing that before, apparently there must be a dodgy circuit in one of them, so he suggested I should test them one by one, find the bad Led and send it back to them.
 Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #33153412th Aug 2008 3:10 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

He's talking bo Censored ocks mate! I've emailed him about the interference problem (which he replied to), and others have too, and he always denies it's a problem. And I also tested each bulbs on it's own, and they all caused the interference. It took them so long to accept it was a problem with mine, when they eventually agreed to accept them back as faulty, they refused to refund me as I had not returned them quickly enough! Crying or Very sad
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #33156512th Aug 2008 4:40 pm
D'arkuk

Update.

Well each one has been tested and they all do it, I’ve spoken to an apologetic Rob at Ultraleds and he has asked me to send them all back to him, he will have a look into it and sort something out. They have been sent out tonight 1st class and we will see what happens. From the way you’ve described being treated ridgeback_moor, I’m a lot less inclined to see what Rob wants to sort out (although to be fair he’s been fine with me so far) and just ask for a refund, if you don’t mind me asking ridgeback_moor how long did you leave it before you sent yours back?
Post #33157912th Aug 2008 5:26 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My U38020R Ultra Tower 380 S&T WA Red New High Bright Ver from UltraLeds have been in for almost a year and have been fine - no radio interference nor flickering.

The 501/194/T10 New Mini Light Tower 9 Leds Xenon Whites used for my sidelight and number plate lamps have been in for the same amount of time also without problem.

All of my interior lamps, footwell and puddle lamps have had LEDs from UltraLeds fitted and they have been fine too.

Post #33183512th Aug 2008 11:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D'arkuk

After experiencing problems I’ve gone through as many posts as I can find and combining that information with my own experiences with Ultraleds I thought it might be helpful to sum up what I’ve been able to gather so far.
First and foremost I found Ultraleds through Disco3.co.uk and they where well recommended, the reason for that is most of us it would seem have had no problems with our led’s and have been more than happy with the end results. As I tend to get buyers O.C.D. when it comes to my much loved D3, I decided to upgrade all my bulbs front and rear with a combination of products from Philips, Osram and Ultraleds. The other led’s purchased such as http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/3821156ba15s-wh...-1680.html among others have given me no problems what so ever. I can only conclude that some of us have D3’s that are just not compatible with some types of led’s used for the rear/brake lamps, as for why I’m at a loss.
As for Ultraleds the minority of us that have had problems with our rear/brake led’s seem to be reporting problems in dealing with them, this could be that when you ask for a refund or exchange and get what you require your not necessarily going to post about the mundane, there for it could be only a minority of the minority that are really having problems with them.
Apart from the first chap I spoke to at Ultrleds, who was very unhelpful, the only other person I’ve talked to is a chap called Rob, so far I have found him to be very polite and very helpful and there deliveries have been lightning fast. However that said Rob did tell me that they are not aware of any problems with feed back from there led’s, this is obviously not the case and I also don’t like the idea that even a small minority of us have had poor customer services. I’m on holiday from Friday and will be doing a lot of driving so I want all the upgraded bulbs in place by then, I there for don’t have the time for Ultraleds to send me out some more of there led’s and take the chance that they will work, so I’ve decided to ask for a refund. When I’ve concluded my business with them I’ll report back.
Post #33192313th Aug 2008 12:20 pm
D'arkuk

Well what fun, I’ve just had the phone put down on me by Rob at Ultraleds. The conversation went as follows:

Me: Hi can I speak to Rob please.
Chap: One minute.
Rob: Hello
Me: Hi Rob its Chris from XXX XXXXXX, I was just wondering if you received the led’s back?
Rob: Well (rather smartly) I don’t get involved with that side of things, (then something about only doing large orders and not getting involved in the small stuff) I’ll talk to the bloke and we’ll sort something out.
Me: I only asked for you because you asked me to mark the return specifically for your attention. Any way as you may remember I was upgrading my lights for my holiday on Friday and in the event of any problems with replacement led’s, I don’t think I’ll have…
Rob: (cutting in rudely) I think we’ll just credit YOU! (LOTS of distain in the voice) OK THANK YOU GOOD BUY!

And the line goes dead.

The purchase I made with Ultraleds totals £ 93.62 the credit I’ll require is £ 39.96. This had better find its way back into my Credit Card ASAP or I’ll be one very unhappy camper. I’m now going to remove all the other (perfectly fine) led’s from my D3 and bin them. Cutting my nose off to spite my face? Yes!
In conclusion, if you are able to find someone helpful at Ultraleds and you are not one of the unlucky few that find your D3 is incompatible with rear/brake led’s from them, all will be well. However if not, be prepared to experience problems as others from this site have or just end up being talked to like a piece of Censored and having the phone put down on you.
Post #33195513th Aug 2008 2:10 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Chris

Welcome to the club! As I mentioned in my previous posts, the guy is a to Censored er. He said he'd credit me, and I'm still trying to find out where it went as there's no refund to my card, and no credit amount on their website either (in 'My Account'). They make the return process as difficult as possible (I had to call the returns department back, who I think was the bloke sat next to Rob in the 'office'). Through their own delaying tactics I sent the bulbs back after 7 weeks (although they knew about the problem after just a few days) and they then tried to claim it was 3 months! I had the original invoice so proved them wrong on that.

I'm still trying to find my money - a similar amount to yours.

Whilst this might get removed by a mod, I'd be happy to say DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ULTRALEDS to all fellow D3 forum members.

Andy
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #33195913th Aug 2008 2:26 pm
D'arkuk

ridgeback_moor wrote:
I'm still trying to find my money - a similar amount to yours.
This is not good enough! If I find myself in a similar position to you with regards to my credit, I will not let the matter drop. I’ll check up on things after my holiday and decide on the appropriate cause of action then. Evil or Very Mad

ridgeback_moor wrote:
Whilst this might get removed by a mod, I'd be happy to say DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ULTRALEDS to all fellow D3 forum members.
Obviously I would but I completely agree with you. Thumbs Up Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #33196113th Aug 2008 2:42 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

It strikes me that if the product works and you don't need any kind of after-care, then all well and good. They go down hill the minute you have a problem with the product.

On balance I think I'll be looking elsewhere for LEDs from now on. A friend had similar experience with another retailer and was so annoyed he has set up a small website retailing LEDs he's sourced himself. He's about to get married, so when the dust settles I'll chat to him about suitable products for the D3 and see if I can get him and Martin talking about a tie-in with the site shop.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #33196713th Aug 2008 2:59 pm
D'arkuk

NoDo$h wrote:
On balance I think I'll be looking elsewhere for LEDs from now on. A friend had similar experience with another retailer and was so annoyed he has set up a small website retailing LEDs he's sourced himself. He's about to get married, so when the dust settles I'll chat to him about suitable products for the D3 and see if I can get him and Martin talking about a tie-in with the site shop.
Until then ND I’m going to stick with the Philips (top end) hot wire technology but when your mates set up for us D3 lot, I’ll be happy to buy. Thumbs Up Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #33197213th Aug 2008 3:11 pm
D'arkuk

If you’re thinking of getting some LED’s, particularly from Ultraleds take a look at this:http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic24949.html
Post #34281111th Sep 2008 7:46 pm
mhb907

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I have had good luck with LEDs from Superbright in the US. Their website is http://www.superbrightleds.com/

I posted a few pictures on Rover World's LR3 forum. The link to the photos is http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showt...amp;page=2
 MHB  
Post #34298512th Sep 2008 4:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >