Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Light bit of Green Laning - South Wales
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
AVO30

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Light bit of Green Laning - South Wales

So after being away with work for so long and off in South Africa seeing SWMBO's family I am finally in the green green grass of home - for a few weeks before Censored off back to sea for work....

Been meaning to check out a load of the local Greenlanes and Byways so armed with numerous OS Explorer maps and a highlighter I set to work....

And on Tuesday we had the most amazing beautiful sunny day as a ridge of high pressure passed over us and a welcome break from the drizzle....

I got let down by my second vehicle first thing in the morning so vowed only light stuff and any chance of getting stuck then I would turn around. A breakdown of the lanes for any of you guys around the area looking for some D3/D4 friendly lanes....

Lane 1; From above Port Talbot to Bryn area - OS Explorer 165 Grid Ref; 784905
Starts off as a very good forestry road, hard gravel base and wide open, good views down over Cwmavon, there is a short section of rocky muddy lane towards the end, 500m or so then onto the main road to Bryn

Lane 2;Passed the School in Bryn - OS Explorer 165 Grid Ref; 80893
Just before entering the Lane you pass through a farm yard, across the yard and into the lane was a pen full of sheep, with it being Lambing season I didn't want to disturb the sheep so found the farmer and asked if there was a way around the yard I could use to the lane, Very friendly lady who I spoke to advised me that the lane is out of action at the mo due to Forestry Commission Felling trees.

Lane 3 ; Afan Forest park to Caerau - OS Explorer 166 Grid Ref; 821951
At the start of the trial it is very steep and rocky and the owner of the house right next to the start said that just a little further up it is washed out completely so a no go for me. I did however go to the other end of the Byway at Caerau and work back to a point I knew would be OK. The start is a little rocky opening out onto a good farm track well used by tractors but a solid base with a few short rocky sections. A tiny section of mud between the old coal 'tips'. I turned around in a wide space before going anywhere near the other end of the trial I was advised against driving.

Lane 4 ; Stanleytown Rhondda - OS Explorer 166 Grid Ref; 017949
My Favourite Trial of the day, The start of the byway is loose and rocky as can be seen in the picture, this opens onto a farm track with a good hard base, once you reach the road at the top follow it for a few hundred metres and hook a right into the trees, this is slightly rutted and muddy but nothing to worry about, it opens out onto the top of the hill where you are into an open field there are a few small patches of mud (in other picture) to cross but inches deep and no problem for my cross contact continental tyres... The track down through the field has four rutts which in off road height cause no problem at all it then becomes rocky and loose again towards the bottom.

Lane 5 ;Pontypridd to Caerphilly (Eglwysilan Mountain) - OS Explorer 166 Grid Ref 095098
the first section from the lane past the golf club is hard compacted base and more like a forestry road - it does have a few bumps but it would appear people can get most of the way in a car. once it rounds the mast and gets onto the top it turns slightly muddy but still a good solid base track. Once you reach the road on top and turn off to the right the byway has been churned up badly tho there are a few trials off to the side which are more than navigable, unfortunately some Censored are abusing the area in 4x4s and scramblers and causing all kinds of destruction, there was a few short 10m muddy sections but no trouble whatsoever. Turning right at the end of the first section you join onto a very well compacted farm track which is well maintained and it would appear someone is creating humps in the lane so the water run off flows across the lane and not down it like a river. This soon opens onto a motorway sized by lane with people in cars parking up to walk dogs etc.

Lane 6 ; Pencoed OS Explorer 151 Grid Ref 955853 - onto OS 166
The starts of this lane is narrow - I got a little bramble rash from the gorse and brambles but is a nice rocky base it opens onto the mountain top and crosses the hill coming out on the road crossing the common. It was far to muddy and I turned around as soon as I left the gravel and rocky lane.

There is another lane near the church at Glyogwr but there is no way a D3/4 would fit down there so again I turned around.

As I said I was solo so these are all light lanes, easily done in a standard disco. There was something that did really Censored me off though..... the majority of the lanes had piles of rubbish dumped by some inconsiderate Censored ...... They would have to have a 4x4 to get there as a car could not do it and the effort gone in to driving to some of the spots far outweighs going to the local tip or even calling the council who do free collections.... it was the only thing that ruined an amazing day!!!!

[/b]

Post #144162712th Mar 2015 5:38 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

take it these are legal to drive

Post #144163712th Mar 2015 5:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AVO30

No TRO's in place as far as I am aware, passed a few farmers on quads etc, always stop and say hello find out if everything is ok ahead, only complaint they have is when Censored go off the byways and churn up the land.... stick to the well mapped and signposted byways and no problems.....

Post #144163912th Mar 2015 5:57 pm
Comanche

Wales 

Great write up, if you are planning more and want company let me know Thumbs Up
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #144164912th Mar 2015 6:05 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Even had pic's Thumbs Up

Nice write up Thumbs Up
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #144165312th Mar 2015 6:15 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Nice write up and photos Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #144181812th Mar 2015 10:01 pm
Airpusher

United Kingdom 

Nice write up,

I live around that area and I'm new to all this, so these would be ideal.

Cheers

Post #14529443rd Apr 2015 2:18 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Airpusher, you've been away for a while Thumbs Up
If you guys are doing a trip sometime, I'll pop over and join you if I can? Thumbs Up

Post #14531033rd Apr 2015 6:51 pm
MrFluffy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

This sounds awesome.

I've just bought my first Discovery 3 and some light green laning is exactly what I'd be looking for... Is there anyone who ventures further into North Wales/Cheshire often enough to show a newbie some fun routes?

Since this write up is so good (and from motorbike forum experience) is there a section I haven't found yet where people may have done similar write ups for days out near Chester??

Post #14532163rd Apr 2015 11:40 pm
Airpusher

United Kingdom 

Hey Kingmav66,

It sure has, been busy but sadly works dried up at the moment and the remainder of 2015 looks quite. On the positive side I get plenty of time with the little one & to actually use the defender Very Happy

That sounds like a good idea, I havent a clue what's in the area, I know there are some big ones 'strata & wayfarer' plus lots of smaller ones like on here.

If your up for some exploring & if we can interest somebody who knows the right methods of checking & helping with planning. I'm up for it.

Post #14532844th Apr 2015 8:53 am
AVO30

Guys the next time I am home (realistically probably sept or October as I'm away at sea) I am more than happy to meet up with some of you guys as I haven't yet met anyone from the forum. We could check out some more of the localish byways and green lanes. There's a really long one from above heads of the valleys which is an old roman road. Didn't get to it the time I did the above trip but would certainly like to give it a go!!!

Post #14535144th Apr 2015 5:53 pm
MrFluffy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Spent a bit of time last night after reading this post looking at my local definitive maps of public rights of way for some lanes and it seems woefully empty around Worcestershire, Cheshire and Wirral or Flintshire which would be my local stomping grounds... If there's a meet reachable from these then I'd be in.

Post #14536834th Apr 2015 10:05 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

MrFluffy - Get yourself over the Wayfarer... it's only about 45mins drive away for us Thumbs Up and you can make a full day of it with a couple of nice forest lanes on the way
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #14538725th Apr 2015 12:55 pm
Mr.Pastry

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Found some greenlaning pictures taken in South Wales taken about 20 years ago.
Can you recognise the road?

Click image to enlarge

My little brother in his IIa V8 auto.
 Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2018.
Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2015 - gone.
Discovery 4 HSE - gone.
Discovery 3 S - gone.
Discovery 3 - gone.
Discovery 1 - gone.
Defender 90 300TDI - gone.
Defender 90 200TDI - gone.
Landrover 90 19J - gone.
Argocat 8x8 - gone.
Argocat 6x6 - gone
RR/LR V8 Hybrid 100" - gone.
Rangerover Classic 3.5 - gone.
Series III 2.25- gone.
Series IIa 3.0V6- gone.
Series I - 80" gone. 

Post #145880415th Apr 2015 3:33 pm
AVO30

That looks impressive... A beige top with Italian stripes on the arm and matched with that hat... Incredible Razz

In all seriousness though that is impressive - up to the arch in bog! It certainly looks like Penyfan in the background?

Post #145882615th Apr 2015 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >