DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Light steering wheel vibration - help diagnosing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Light steering wheel vibration - help diagnosing

Hi all,

been off-roading a couple of weeks ago, mud & grass mostly with a little dip in a very muddy pond... All ok so far, came back, good wash, pressure washed everything underneath and all mud I could see...

Ever since, I have noticed a very slight vibration from the steering wheel, more like a "humming" noise feeding through the column, as if dirt was caught between the break pad and disc. Re-washed all four breaks,symptom still there. It's very slight, so much so Mrs Biz thinks I'm loosing my marbles Shocked But of course, I know its there Wink

Upon more careful listening/feeling, it seems to happen more under acceleration rather than free rolling or breaking. And I think there is a different roar from the engine when it does.... Question

Have checked what I could by visual inspection (pads, calipers, steering rack ends etc) but could not see anything out of place or standing out.

I would rather not take it "blindly" to the local dealer as they are most likely to keep the car there for a week or two (without replacement vehicle of course!), only to tell me they can't find anything wrong and leave me with the frustration of having to live with it Evil or Very Mad

Any thoughts what I could look at or point them to?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #58970725th Jan 2010 3:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

wheels/tyres slightly out of balance due to mud/bits missing maybe?

....even after a good clean it is amazingly how many kilos of mud still exist under the vehicle. This could possibly affect dynamics of wishbones etc. (i.e. harmonics?)
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #58972125th Jan 2010 4:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

Thanks Spotter Thumbs Up

Admittedly I did not have the car on a ramp, just as far as I could see with having it on off-road height. Will give it another all-round underneath and re-balance the front wheels (I have checked the pressures several times Wink ).

What's troubling me though is the fact it's more pronounced when accelerating. I would have thought if one of the causes you describe was the culprit, it would happen equally at any rolling state Confused

Last edited by discoBizz on 29th Jan 2010 8:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #58976225th Jan 2010 5:33 pm
SPOTTER

mine is certainly much rougher after it has been in the mud. Acceleration tends to accentuate things that vibrate and wobble.

I don't think you have done anything that would "knock" anything major. Maybe the bushes have settled a bit? How often does it go off road?
Post #58976725th Jan 2010 5:46 pm
discoBizz

Well, in fifteen months it's seriously been off road 5 times Crying or Very sad

Would've liked to have time for more....

Don't think so either, though did get stuck in that pond (still on P0s), and lots of R to 3rd on Mud/Ruts eventually rocked me out. Initially, mud got caught between the rim and the front left tyre just behind one of the balancing weights which resulted in some loss of pressure in that tyre (I understand it has to do with the tyre wall heating up due to spinning, letting potential debris getting caught there Question ), but a thorough clean sorted that out.

Thanks for the confirmation on acceleration, I think only viable next steps are another clean of the front end and a rebalancing... and fingers crossed that will sort it out...

Post #58978225th Jan 2010 6:08 pm
SPOTTER

Laughing

it should be used to it by now then..................

Another thought....have you actually torn any balance weights off, that is easy to do from experience...........

and another possibility is that are you more sensitive to it after gettinga bit stuck......might be worth driving another vehicle.

I can imagine alsorts of horrible things happening to mine sometimes but usually it is my imagination. Wink
Embarassed
Post #58983825th Jan 2010 6:55 pm
discoBizz

Laughing

Might be... will try to have a drive around in a mates' 05 HSE though he has the 4.4 petrol and it's bound to feel different I guess...

Off to the tyre man tomorrow after another good wash first thing (although at 2.5C at the mo don't quite fancy the idea of an freeze in the morning Whistle )

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #58987625th Jan 2010 7:34 pm
discoBizz

Well, got the wheels re-balanced (only 5grams off on the driver's side, 20grams on the passenger side though) and had front of the car re-washed...

The slight vibration is still there though Crying or Very sad and I do think it's engine/revs related now...

Any ideas?

Post #59268129th Jan 2010 12:21 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Does it go away if you turn the climate control OFF?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #59271829th Jan 2010 12:54 pm
discoBizz

Nope, no change either on or off Confused

Also tried to clarify whether it's mostly when the engine is cold or normal temp, seems to be more pronounced when cold (but exists in any conditions).

Could it be related to belts/pulleys? ridgeback_moor recently posted a great post on how to change, but his symptoms were very different to mine?

Thanks

Post #59274029th Jan 2010 1:16 pm
SPOTTER

oh Confused

and other than that the car runs fine?
Post #59291229th Jan 2010 5:05 pm
discoBizz

Yep, no warning lights, errors, bongs, bings... nothing Confused Revving up normally, going normally (and straight) Confused Confused

On my way back from work tonight I confirmed it's engine related: it's present at neutral while stationary and if I were to describe it its like the car having a "hoarse throat" moment, deeper at low revs, higher "pitched" at higher revs... kinda like SWMBO when entering into an argument Rolling with laughter

Joking aside, I think its actually getting worse, though I have been known to be overly sensitive when something is not quite right. The fact is that it's there and TBH I doubt the local LR service centre will have a clue where to start looking to find the cause...

Any further thoughts where I could point them at??? (or better I could look myself?)

Thanks for pointers so far Thumbs Up

Post #59302529th Jan 2010 8:15 pm
discoBizz

Quick question: are diesel engines susceptible to pinking (knocking)? I thought this was only a symptom petrol engines could develop as diesels don't have spark plugs?

I think amidst the symptoms I can hear something that sounds like pinking, at the lower (throatier) rev range... Confused

Symptoms are still there, will have to resort to the dealer, though I would have preferred to point them where to investigate as I suspect their reaction... Mad

Post #5948121st Feb 2010 4:08 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep - only petrol engines can suffer from pinking or knocking if the ignition is too far advanced.

I think I've always heard what you describe on my TDV6, but just put it down to the usual "clackerty" * noise that common-rail diesels tend to make.

* yes I did just invent this word Mr. Green
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5948541st Feb 2010 5:41 pm
discoBizz

Rolling with laughter

Cheers Paul, I may indeed be loosing my marbles Embarassed but I'll try to take it for a plugging into the IDS at the local dealer while still under warranty just to make sure that I am (not) Whistle

Will juice my (and the forum's) brain a little more tonight trying to figure it out though... Sheep

Post #5948651st Feb 2010 5:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >