Page 2 of 3 <123>
ratrunner

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That looks like Tiger tank.

Post #196551320th Jul 2018 3:56 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Panzer MkIV. Fantastic pics of the recovery here: http://ww2live.com/en/content/world-war-2-...und-poland

The other tanks I’ll revisit is this IS2 NW of Kostrzyn (52.7920390,14.2680756). Seen it twice before, great place for a coffee and a think.

The T34 at the Seelow museum. Just noticed Dark Bluie in the background. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

And the first Red Army tank across the Oder.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #196552920th Jul 2018 4:18 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Is it really the first? I’d imagine with the attrition in the red army on men and materiel that it would be the 19000th tank across... Thumbs Up

Just like the second flag raising on Okinawa is the famous one, rather than the first one.

Post #196554320th Jul 2018 4:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Agreed re Okinawa, they had to do it again as no-one thought to photograph it first time. Bet that pleased the Marines involved. Shocked

Well according to the plaque it was the first, who am I to argue. Seemingly it languished in a railway shed for decades before being tidied up. Deffo no holes from 75s, 88s or Panzerfausts so survived. Thumbs Up

Now talking of not being true, the lorry carrying the Katyusha (sp?) rockets in the museum picdates from the late 50s but looks the part. DB was deffo genuine. Mr. Green

Last edited by DSL on 20th Jul 2018 4:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #196554820th Jul 2018 4:56 pm
kajtzu

I was thinking Iwo Jima, said Okinawa. Must be the Old Rascal. Rolling with laughter

Post #196554920th Jul 2018 4:58 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And I knew what you meant, I blame the 🍷.

Hic.

Post #196555020th Jul 2018 5:00 pm
kajtzu

Wikipedia had a picture of the first flag, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima where it’s happened already and the guys just chill. The flag wasn’t big enough so someone in “management” decided to have a different set of guys redo it. Must have been pleasant.

Post #196555220th Jul 2018 5:02 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Bet they loved staying up there in sight of everyone. Recently box set binged The Pacific on Sky, much respect for all Marines in that theatre. Thumbs Up

Post #196555520th Jul 2018 5:07 pm
kajtzu

You might want to watch flags of our fathers and letters from Iwo Jima, too. Thumbs Up

Skip windtalkers...

Post #196556020th Jul 2018 5:20 pm
jambo27

United Kingdom 

If you can move or drive after a Polish wedding then I will be impressed !

Polish weddings are a minimum of a two day event. 1st day church service and then to reception with all guests. This will start with vodka and soup, main course and some kind of cake. Then every hour or so some new course will be brought out of the kitchen expect this supply of food to go on till around 3-4am. If you are hungry between courses they is normally a table with cold cuts, smoked sausage, local bread etc to nibble on. Needless to say a constant supply of alcohol will be available with bottles of vodka on all tables constantly replaced when empty. Live band will supply music for dancing and organise some party games at midnight. Day 1 will finish when the last guest leaves/falls asleep/passes out in an alcoholic coma probably around 6am. Day 2 starts around 12 noon and is more of the same but with a slightly more relaxed feel. Live band will probably be replaced by DJ or recorded music but dancing and alcohol also feature. Day 2 probably finish around 6pm but guests come and go as they wish.

Hel is a nice place to visit for peace and quiet. There is a regular boat from Sopot over to Hel which takes 40 mins and saves you around 2 hours drive but its foot passenger only and it may not run in October. ISTR it may be a seasonal thing.

Post #196565021st Jul 2018 6:28 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And I was hoping for a nice quiet w/end. Big Cry Big Cry

I’ll pace myself and have absolutely no plans to stay up until 6am. I’ve heard about the food thing and expect to have to eat enough for the next 2 weeks. Diet is going to be well busted. Shocked

Post #196565521st Jul 2018 6:37 am
Dan1720v

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

I’m off to a polish wedding at the end of August 😂🙈 I’m looking forward to it, I don’t particularly enjoy English weddings but, it’ll be a new experience.. my partner is polish so it’s family for her, however my polish is very limited and her family don’t speak English. I’m am however trying to learn how to ask (and understand the answer) for her fathers permission to marry her...

Post #196565821st Jul 2018 7:11 am
jambo27

United Kingdom 

You will have a great time I am sure. You can't compare Polish weddings to UK ones. I don't enjoy UK weddings at all but I would go to a Polish one every weekend if my body could cope with it Rolling with laughter

Just learn and practice the Polish for can I marry your daughter, you don't need to learn the possible answers as the actions of your potential father in law will make the answer obvious. The appearence of vodka is always a good sign you are moving in the right direction.

Traditionally in the area I am in (maybe all of Poland I am not sure) if your potential family in law wanted to let you know they disapproved of your relationship and you should never think about marriage they would invite you for dinner and serve you a soup made from animal blood (normally duck) think liquid black pudding ! Thay was a polite way of saying over my dead body without actually saying it. As ling as they never served you that then I guess you're good to go!

Post #196764026th Jul 2018 1:10 pm
Dan1720v

I did think after I wrote that, if he didn’t like it I’m sure I’d know 😂 he hasn’t tried to murder me yet and they have always seemed very welcoming to me. They’re from just outside of Kielce, which I’ve since been informed is quite a rough part 😕

Post #196829428th Jul 2018 9:20 am
Dan1720v

jambo27 wrote:
You will have a great time I am sure. You can't compare Polish weddings to UK ones. I don't enjoy UK weddings at all but I would go to a Polish one every weekend if my body could cope with it Rolling with laughter

Just learn and practice the Polish for can I marry your daughter, you don't need to learn the possible answers as the actions of your potential father in law will make the answer obvious. The appearence of vodka is always a good sign you are moving in the right direction.

Traditionally in the area I am in (maybe all of Poland I am not sure) if your potential family in law wanted to let you know they disapproved of your relationship and you should never think about marriage they would invite you for dinner and serve you a soup made from animal blood (normally duck) think liquid black pudding ! Thay was a polite way of saying over my dead body without actually saying it. As ling as they never served you that then I guess you're good to go!

Well it went well..

I see what you mean by polish weddings. I had no idea what was being said or anything but they make English weddings look like a civilised afternoon tea party. I didn’t drink (much atall) as I was driving so had the odd one over the course of the evening. I’ve been left absolutely amazed by it all.

Post #19801592nd Sep 2018 6:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >