Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

A little help making a purchase decision please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Josh Bear

A little help making a purchase decision please

Dear All,

For the last 3 yaers I have been driving a BMW Z4. Now with 2 kids and a vocal wife We Confused have decided that I need to buy a more practical family car. Not being one for a normal saloon car I have been attracted by both the RR sport and the Disco 3.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Disco 3 because of the cheaper price and the 7 seats but am struggling with the spec.

I can see the differences between the SE and the HSE but would be grateful for some help with the following questions.

1. what is the actual difference between the navigation system that comes with the SE and the premium that comes with the HSE?

2. The premium ICE (Harman Kardon) stereo comes with the HSE, but what does the SE come with? e.g. how many speakers and does it have a 6 changer?

3. Is the manual gearbox okay or is it better the have the auto as in the HSE.

4. Finally there seem to be a few people with issues of quality. Should I stear clear. (Contreversial question?)

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get this purchase right.

Best Regards

Josh

Post #4311819th Feb 2006 8:29 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: A little help making a purchase decision please

Josh Bear wrote:

1. what is the actual difference between the navigation system that comes with the SE and the premium that comes with the HSE?

2. The premium ICE (Harman Kardon) stereo comes with the HSE, but what does the SE come with? e.g. how many speakers and does it have a 6 changer?

3. Is the manual gearbox okay or is it better the have the auto as in the HSE.

4. Finally there seem to be a few people with issues of quality. Should I stear clear. (Contreversial question?)

First of all... which ever you buy you'll be grinning from collection to at least a year on ! We all are Smile

All the info you need is in the brochures, on the web site and of course any dealer worth bothering with will help you out.

OK

1. Premium Sat Nav has the 4x4 info screen... showing suspension travel on each corner, which diffs are locked etc etc plus a bread crumb mode for the nav system when you need to back track from where you came from. Dealer should be able to demo you all this in their showroom. And I would insist on it.

2. S and SE come with HK set up too but with a passive sub and no Logic 7 (think HSE has Logic 7 as standard). All are 6 disc changers. My S system sounds damn good and I imagine that the extra speakers, active sub and Logic 7 make the whole thing awesome.

3. I find the manual box excellent. Gives you more control off road but to be honest I would prefer the auto for relaxed driving around city traffic and for changing down to low 1st if you start to lose momentum in low 2nd. Penalty of extra fuel use (I get 28MPG at 85-90MPH seven up on a long run - or around 30-31MPG cruising at 70-75MPH). Auto around 5MPG worse ???? someone can chip in here. Both are very very good. The auto apparently gives almost seamless shifts and adapts to driving style.

4. Build quality... no complaints from me. Car feels very well put together, good use of soft and hard plastics where needed. Nothings broken off yet ! Its not a Range Rover ! The RRS is made of the same stuff but has a more swoop design up front.

Go test drive them both. Ask to have them for the whole day and drive on all your favourite roads.... as well as some you hate. You'll enjoy and be gobsmacked at how both the D3 and RRS handle. They really should not feel as sporty around corners as they do ! Especially the D3.

Love mine to bits and after 36.6K miles... still love to drive it !

Hope this helps

-s

Post #4313619th Feb 2006 9:58 pm
Josh Bear

That helps a lot thanks. The brochures aren't great about the details of the sound systems etc.

Best Regards

Josh

Post #4314519th Feb 2006 10:25 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Get the RRS - your wife will love you for it! Wink
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #4314719th Feb 2006 10:33 pm
Kieron

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There is a separate brochure for the harman/kardon sound systems that you should be able to get from the dealer.

According to it the sound systems in both the Disco and the RRS are the same at both entry and at the higher Logic7. The standard system is 300 watts with 8 speakers and a low profile subwoofer. The Logic7 is 550 watts with 13 speakers and a low profile high power subwoofer.

I'd go for the Disco 3 HSE, its every car in one Very Happy
 I don't dance but I do Disco  
Post #4315219th Feb 2006 11:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Josh Bear

Thanks Both. I do love the interior of the RRS the sloped dash etc. BUT it seems a shed load more money for a car that is pretty much the same as the Disco.

Also my local dealer offered my £1000 towards a Disco deposit if I placed my order before the end of Feb and that added to the 7 seats is why I am leaning towards to Disco. Not to mention the great deals people on here seem to be getting.

Oh but the RRS is sexy!. Oh flipping Nora I don't know.
Shocked

Best Regards
Josh

Post #4315319th Feb 2006 11:26 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Josh
Just come back from a day out with wife, 2 kids and my OAP Mum & Dad - all in great comfort
Not possible in a RRS
My kids love the back seats
Personally would not think twice - has to be be D3
Nice quandry to be in though!!
All the best
Adam
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #4315419th Feb 2006 11:37 pm
Josh Bear

Adam.

Do you have the manual gear box. If so any issues? Easy to drive etc

Thanks

Josh

Post #4315519th Feb 2006 11:40 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I had same issues at xmas about buying one, but in the end went for it and took delivery end of Dec. Now done 3000 miles including a 900 mile trip to cornwall and back last week. Spent the week with our kids and my parents (who live in cornwall) in the car - we loved the flexibility it gave us to drive around all over Cornwall as a group.

The HSE gives you the rear head phone sockets which my children loved. It saved me from going demented as well with the mr men stories on CD. Meant we could listen to Radio 1 or the ipod in splendor up front whilst the children where happy in the back.

Today I had to blat up to Guildford solo via country roads - about a 80 mile round trip - and caught myself doing 70 mph on the B roads before I checked the speed. I was amazed how nimble it feels sometimes.

I have the auto which is great but a bit thirsty . I've averaged about 22 - 24mpg but I don't try and drive economically.

It's good all round particularly as a family car. We all love it in my house...

Post #4315619th Feb 2006 11:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed

England 

Quote:
It's good all round particularly as a family car. We all love it in my house...
I love it on my drive! Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #4315719th Feb 2006 11:57 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Josh
I got an Auto SE - the auto box is truly superb - did home / London / home in a day last week - not a journey I usually drive - and stepped out out of her at about 10.30 PM as fresh as a daisy - did both both trips non stop - 200 miles each
They really are an incredible versatile car, OK round town, fantastic on Mway - off road? - only done it once - but read what the more experienced guys have to say
Get on a good run about 27 - 28 MPG cruising at 80 MPH
Go for it
Adam
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #4315820th Feb 2006 12:03 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Josh - get the auto box - this is my first auto and I don't think I'll ever go back to something as energetic as changing gears. It's fantastically smooth as well.

I've just come back from a touring holiday in on the Pembrokshire coast - 2 dogs, masses of luggage, wife , son & mother all in the motor no probs - try doing that in a RRS
Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4315920th Feb 2006 12:35 am
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have the SE auto & it is the best car I have ever had drive it all day with no problem at all, it even looks after you VERY well if some one hits you! Mad
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #4316520th Feb 2006 9:39 am
Pelyma

England 

Hi I have an HSE, my parents an SE. Unless you will be driving off road then the premium navigation and 4x4 info isn't any big deal. The sound system without logic7 is still pretty good to my ears, but purists will tell you neither is top flight. The rear headphone sockets are brilliant for the kids. The glass roof of the HSE doesn't add that much. The auto box is fantastic 8) . Maybe an SE is the better option and upgrade the hifi for the kids. If you are going to use it off road buy the HSE.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4317020th Feb 2006 11:34 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

I've got a manual SE - the Nav is fine (I rarely use it), the music system is ok and the two small faults I have had in 6k miles have been easily fixed by my dealer. Unless you want auto (and I wouldn't) then I'd pass on the HSE. Remember also that the RRS is auto only.

I've got sports cars as well and the way the Disco gets us round always impresses. Its slow off the mark but great when up and running.

PS If you want space it has to be the Disco as the RRS is tighter in the back seat and has a small boot. The Disco is huge especially if you get the dog guard for loading up to the roof for hols etc. The RRS looks better but if you can do with its poorer space then get an A4/A6 Avant Quattro instead.

Post #4318120th Feb 2006 12:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >