DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Locking wheel nut?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

That amazes me.
I always loosened the lock nut first!!
My theory was that if left to last it would take all the torqued pressure rather than accross the full five bolts and therefore could possibly be more difficult to undo?

How come Andy?

Post #36493726th Oct 2008 10:10 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

We have had the theory for years and it works for us. Thumbs Up

Think about it, there will be less load on the one which is undone last, and believe me we do loads on all sorts of 4x4's and Hi performance cars.

Our pet hate is locking nuts, you ask the customer for the lock nut and they say what's that, then you have the time spent looking for it, not finding it, then finding it and it's broken, just been to steeler for service and not put back, drives us mad, it just wastes so much time. Evil or Very Mad

Some lockers are not too bad to get off with our special tools but some you can end up making a real mess of the wheel, you can't drive a car without tyres very well, one of the most important thing is your tyres.

We now keep all the lockers for the D3. Thumbs Up

Andy. www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk

Post #36494426th Oct 2008 10:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I have had to replace locking wheel buts because some monkey has used an air gun to torque them upto the same value as the wheel nuts.

Sad as it may seem but I now use a torque wrench to do my wheel bolts up. I also put copper grease on them and the inside rim of the wheel to stop them binding. On my BMW's I have had to get BMW assistance out witha large hammer when I have had flat tyres as the wheel was so stuck to the hub and that is after only 12 months. I have no idea why they don't stick anti seize compound on at the factory from new as the BMW service schedule calls for it to be done.

Post #36494826th Oct 2008 10:52 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Yes thats another pet hate, dealers charge enough but don't seem to have "copper grease or ease". Evil or Very Mad

Good piece of wood and a sledge hammer are always close by, it's not just alloys either, Freelander and Suzuki steels come to mind.

All our wheel nuts are checked by hand and we only use battery operated wrenches. Thumbs Up

Andy. www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk

Post #36495326th Oct 2008 11:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Its a shame all tyre fitters dont adopt AJS theory. its one of my pet hates as the fitters never have respect for the motor.

I for one will be using AJS in the future, not too far from me, and have mates in Dorking and Chessington so will do tyres on a goodwill visit.

Thanks for the info, and have checked my locking key, its where it should be. Thumbs Up

Post #36496326th Oct 2008 11:54 am
Frodo

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

SJR wrote:
After having the wheel nuts on a previous car seize up, and it being very expensive to put right Big Cry got into the habit of loosening and re-torquing the wheel nuts on every car since on a monthly basis, only takes 5 minutes and not had any trouble since.

This would be my tip for today Thumbs Up

Very good advice.
 2000 Discovery 2 Kent Green (totaled) R.I.P.
2006 Discovery 3 HSE Bonatti Grey 

Post #36502926th Oct 2008 3:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >