Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Looking to buy my first Disco 4! - Need some advice :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gameboy0101

United Kingdom 
Looking to buy my first Disco 4! - Need some advice :)

Hey folks,

Im looking to purchase my first used Discovery 4, Looking at the older higher milage stuff (eg. 2009/2010) and seeing that they tend to be anything from £9,455 to £14,500).

I went to look at one today which was on the lower end of that price scale which has about 155,000 miles on the clock. Its HSE Spec with cream interior (which is the model i'm after). Body work seemed ok, no major dents/scratches that I noticed) some stone chips etc.

I do have a couple of questions for you more experienced folk though if thats ok? Smile

- I think It had been used/abused on the inside. It had just been cleaned I think as it smelt strongly of chemicals and the carpets were soaking wet). One thing I did notice though was a lot of the seat mounts at the back were visible (not sure if thats normal or they normally have plastic covers) and they all had rust. Also the boot latches had rust (both the body side and door boot side). Is this normal?

- The other issue I noticed immediately were one of the chrome door handles was peeling off (not sure if this is just an aftermarket cover, but I think saw wires underneath) and another door handle felt loose (could be wiggled up and down when pulled out) would that be an easy enough fix to tighten?

Service history was patchy, but there were no engine lights, suspension seemed to be working etc.

Im not sure at the moment this is the right one for me but was curious to get others opinions on the above.

My absolute ideal would be White, HSE Spec with cream interior. But seems like that doesn't exist in the price range i'm looking at anywhere near me on the used market at the moment.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gameboy0101 on 15th Oct 2021 6:50 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #225718915th Oct 2021 5:00 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

not sure why people are so obsessed with trim levels

I always buy basic with leather seats cos it is easier to maintain everything what HSE offers as plus I would find never used or completely pointless like LR satnav which is really crap

Better to find better nicer platform and do extra upgrades one really needs and uses all the time ?

my take on car buying.

good luck
G

Post #225719215th Oct 2021 5:55 pm
Gameboy0101

United Kingdom 

I specifically want the sunroof which comes with that trim level. Probably not that important for some but realised its something I really appreciate when I went to a car without. Have seen a few cars not HSE with the sunroof but figure if it comes with HSE then I will aim for that. Price wise, for the age i'm looking at doesn't seem like HSE adds much of a premium.

Post #225719415th Oct 2021 6:48 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Hmmmm, wonder if the rusty seat bases are due to a leaking sunroof. Whistle Whistle

There are a few things LR do well, and a few they do badly. Sunroofs and cranks fit in the latter category. Thumbs Up

Post #225719515th Oct 2021 6:57 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If you can afford it top spec all the time, much cheaper than retrofits later on.

But and it is an iimportant but, sunroofs and their drains tend to let water into the cabin, and its not if but when!

I think you are looking for cars to buy at the wrong time as prices are mental high, and early D4 have got to be hardest hit when/if prices come back to normal, 6 speed box, high road tax, old car, are all negatives.

Post #225719615th Oct 2021 6:58 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It does seem to be that the vehicle in question has had water ingress, be that via a sunroof or someone accidentally leaving window(s) open or perhaps spillage. But it wasn't immediately remedied hence the rust. On the up side, it looks like surface rust, easily remedied. Perhaps that's reflected in the price. Before buying, if you still want to, I'd suggest a good hosing down and check if the water is getting in anywhere. It could still be a problem and you might inherit it.

I'm tempted to say that there's more fish in the sea.

As for spec, I wouldn't be too picky. The XS had most things that the HSE had and any Disco with no sunroofs is a bonus.

Post #225723115th Oct 2021 11:43 pm
beerbelly

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

if the carpets are saturated the soundproofing and any electrics underneath probably is too it will possibly never dry out unless you take it all out and at best will end up smelling like an old floor cloth and quite possibly be a cause of many electrical issues .walk away and buy a dry one. sounds like its been filthy and they have cleaned the carpets and upholstery with a steam cleaner

Post #225724516th Oct 2021 7:05 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Early D4s had the 2.7 D3 engine, the 3.0 ltr engine is far,far superior as is other improvements that have been made.
A HSE of that year has over £20,000 worth of extras factory fitted over base model Shocked including a sun roof, I for one would not buy a vehicle without a sun roof, only problem with LR sunroofs is the rubber drain pipe can block up which is tan easy fix.
If the carpets have been soaked you will never get rid of the smell, the sun roof may have been accidentally left open which is very easy to do.
Check for vibration when going up an hill at 25-40 mph, any vibration or variation in engine revs walk away it may need £3k spending on it Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #225725316th Oct 2021 9:06 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Hmmmm, wonder if the rusty seat bases are due to a leaking sunroof. Whistle Whistle

I’m thinking more of being immersed in the sea.
Possibly beach boat launches, as you’d need to go quite far in to get a boat off a trailer..
That could also be coupled with the dodgy smell…….. stuff from the sea does stink, especially when dried out. Wink

Whatever it is, I’d walk away.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #225726416th Oct 2021 10:27 am
Gameboy0101

United Kingdom 

Thanks all!

I had a look at another Discovery today and it had no rust in those areas so doesent seem like a normal wear/tear type thing, I agree it must have had water sitting around it. I may go and take another look if its not sold yet as the price was very good but there is obviously a reason why Smile.

Post #225729116th Oct 2021 5:22 pm
lynalldiscovery

M3DPO wrote:
Early D4s had the 2.7 D3 engine, the 3.0 ltr engine is far,far superior as is other improvements that have been made.
A HSE of that year has over £20,000 worth of extras factory fitted over base model Shocked including a sun roof, I for one would not buy a vehicle without a sun roof, only problem with LR sunroofs is the rubber drain pipe can block up which is tan easy fix.
If the carpets have been soaked you will never get rid of the smell, the sun roof may have been accidentally left open which is very easy to do.
Check for vibration when going up an hill at 25-40 mph, any vibration or variation in engine revs walk away it may need £3k spending on it Thumbs Up

I think you will find all d4 are 3.0, with the exception of the early d4 commercial models which were 2.7.

Up to approx 2011 the 3.0 was 245bhp, then when the 8 speed box came out the bhp went to 255.

Post #225729516th Oct 2021 5:39 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up Bow down
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #225731316th Oct 2021 7:06 pm
lynalldiscovery

Though to be honest I think if not UK motors the water gets very muddy!

Post #225733016th Oct 2021 8:24 pm
autobiorob

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I always say if I have a doubt then walk away. There will always be another one somewhere

Post #225735517th Oct 2021 8:18 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Quote:
hink you will find all d4 are 3.0, with the exception of the early d4 commercial models which were 2.7

Not so. Friend of mine had a d4 xs 2.7 with 18 inch wheels. 59 plate.

For OP - walk away. Something bad has happened for all those internal surfaces to have rust. Who knows where else?
 d4 HSE  
Post #225736717th Oct 2021 9:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >