Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Loss of power below 2,500 rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Dougal

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Loss of power below 2,500 rpm

Just had LRA out to look at my TDV6 (15k miles). Had a loss of power below 2,500 rpm - struggled to pull away from junctions or out accelerate grannies with zimmers (no offence intended if anyone out there has one...)

It appears the issue is caused by an exhaust valve problem.

LRA were excellent but I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Post #12167319th Jan 2007 3:41 pm
SteveEx

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Mine is just approaching 18K and has started showing the same symptoms. Booked in for 2 Year service next week and taking in your posting.

Its pulling away like its 27 tonnes not 2.7!!

Post #13030415th Feb 2007 10:04 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds right, presumably they read the DTC's?
A poor connection to the fuel temp sensor can also give similar syptoms but will log different DTC's

Post #13031415th Feb 2007 10:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

must be the weather! mine's had this on and off for a bit and was due to go in tomorrow to have the EGR valve replaced but alas only one of the two parts has appeared at the dealers so the visit has been postponed, don't know whether this means it's out of stock or not! does make driving when it's happening a bit interesting though Shocked
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #13036216th Feb 2007 12:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveEx

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Could not wait for Tuesdays scheduled service as it would not power up off the drive today without cutting out so rang LR Assistance.

Must say LR Assistance were excellent. Rang them explained the fault. They said they would ring me back in ten minutes with the name of the technician they were sending and his ETA.

They did and the technician arrived at the scheduled time.

Technician rang the diagnostics, explaining everything and it showed an error with ERG valve.

Car needed to go in to local LR dealer and he would get courtesy car sorted.

Courtesy car (another disco via Enterprise) rang within the hour and arranged to deliver car to my home later today.

Got mine off the drive (revving the T**ts off it and crawled up to dealership in low range (as recommended by technican)

Got a lift home and replacement car arrived only 20 minutes later.

Will wait to see how the repair goes...

Post #13058816th Feb 2007 8:41 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Hmmm, wonder if this is what has happened to mine Sad

Noticed last night when I set off for home that a huge flat spot had developed - it would take all of 5 seconds for anything to happen when I put my foot on the throttle then it was like a switch had been thrown and we were off. Made life interesting at roundabouts and junctions Embarassed

This morning, she started up OK but I could not get her to pull away backwards up the slight incline she was parked on Big Cry Even with right foot to the floor, engine revs wouldn't go above 1200rpm. Thought at first the auto box was knackered but putting her in drive produced some forward motion. Eventually got her moving by selecting low range. Once the engine had warmed up, things improved and she became driveable but there is still a noticeable loss of low-down torque (very noticeable as my car's been TCd!), gear changes are taking place higher up the rev range than I'm used to and the fuel consumption seems to be suffering.

Could this too be a faulty EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve by any chance?) or something else? Can the LR techs diagnose the fault without overwriting my TC upgrade? I'm going to ring Stratstone in Stockton soon to get them to look at it!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #13360327th Feb 2007 9:02 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Dealership may decide to return car to original engine map to diagnose the problem or they may not. It really is down to the technician who works on the car.

Post #13361327th Feb 2007 10:09 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Aldbourneboy,

sounds v similar to mine, I would imagine that in an auto it would be almost impossible to get anywhere. I am however still waiting for the EGR valve to appear from LR which might be the end of the week, so until then creative
driving is still needed when it happens...

M
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #13361927th Feb 2007 10:45 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Right, back from the Stealers and a diagnosis check pointed to a faulty EGR valve. It can't pinpoint which one exactly so they are going to change both – when they come in that is! Seems these things are in short supply. They haven't overwritten the TC remap and the car is now running normally so the problem seems to have gone away Very Happy (for now at least Sad )

In the meantime, the dealer has said that if it happens again, call LR Assist who will recover the car to them and they will give me a courtesy car until they can change the valves. Thumbs Up

Glad it's still under warranty Whistle
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #13364427th Feb 2007 12:52 pm
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Got my New D3 manual 2 weeks ago Very Happy

It lost power i.e. would not rev beyond 2000, after been driven for a while (i.e. at least 10km)
This happened 3 times in first 800 kms , after the second instance they did a software upgrade but then it happened again 50kms later
So they took the car away last friday evening and gave me an auto D3 with 2000km on the clock

Amazing differnce - a lot more responsive and sounds more powerful as well. The service manager was the guy who dropped off the auto and he said mine was a dog to drive compared to it.

Got a call from the service manager yesterday - they have ordered a new set of injectors for my car as 1 of them is failing a "compression???" test.

I should have it back on Friday.... I'll let you know if it fixes things.
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #13373227th Feb 2007 5:28 pm
SteveEx

2 weeks and still no parts yet. Awaiting a line pinch. Still riding round in courtesy disco tdv6 se

Post #1348582nd Mar 2007 8:35 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

EGRs finally arrived and the car went in to Stratstones last Friday to have them fitted Thumbs Up . The fault never did resurface in the 9 days I had to wait for the work to be done so the new valves don't seem to have made a difference – just hope they last at least another 18,000 miles!

I must say that the service from Stratstones in Stockton was excellent and that Mike, on the service reception desk, couldn't have been more helpful. Keep up the good work Stratstones! Very Happy

Post #13805412th Mar 2007 4:44 pm
SteveEx

Finally got mine back on Saturday and (fingers crossed) good as new.

Service was good too from Stratstone Gilesgate but how much are these vavles and how much does it cost to hire a disco from Enterprise for 3 weeks ?

Surely the price of the part and the price of the replacement hire car are miles apart and not having the parts in stock is costing LRA a fortune?

Post #13885214th Mar 2007 7:44 pm
djangonut

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

My disco is two months old. When restarting after say a twenty minute dog-walk, there is little power, and it won't make even 2000 rpm. Switch off, restart, and it's fine. This has happened half a dozen times. Motor went into Sturgess, Leicester for the second time for this problem to be sorted today. Apparently there is a fault with the crank sensor. New crank sensor on order. What do crank sensors do?

John

Post #18151924th Jul 2007 5:28 pm
Aberdonian

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Hmm, sound similar

Folks, can anyone tell what the first indication of this is? mine seems to be a little hesitant at speeds below 2500rpm - almost juttery, but this smoothes out when applying more throttle?
 Discovery 3 is truly a discovery to behold!  
Post #19578628th Aug 2007 8:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >