Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Lost - the war against political correctness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I'm interested by the idea of a war on political correctness mentioned in the topic title. That sentiment shows a total lack of understanding that political correctness, albeit a misguided approach, is an attempt to redress the inherent imbalance in society. To think that there needs to be a war says more about the white men who complain about it, than it does about the idea of political correctness itself.

As the "pale, male and stale" person lacking understanding in this instance, I probably ought to respond. I don't think the "it's PC gone mad" cry correlates with resistance to levelling playing-fields and correcting imbalances. It does, however, indicate frustration at the way edicts are unilaterally imposed - typically without any consultation - and the level of detail applied. A blackboard is black in the same way that a whiteboard is white: I don't even make a mental connection between the colour of my skin and the word 'whiteboard'; banning 'blackboard' could be taken as a sign that black people are so weak and fragile that they need protection from such potential hurt - is that really the case? I think not. One of the first I remembering encountering was 'personhole' - doesn't 'man' cover the whole species of both sexes?

How on earth do they get on in languages like French where even tables have gender? Is a waitress any less capable than a waiter, a comedienne any less entertaining that a comedian?

Who arbitrates the subjects and level of detail? If I don't agree or accidentally use the word "actress" rather than "actor" or unthinkingly 'dead-name' someone I have called "Wayne" for the forty years before they became "Waynetta", I could/would be vilified online, lose my job, etc., Who is the court of appeal? Twitter? A survey of a thousand female actors? A survey of a thousand female actors and a thousand male actors? Even if the hypothetical Waynetta was not at all offended, the consequences would be the same.

A whole generation has now been conditioned with knee-jerk reactions to words and phrases without going through the process of thinking about the why, how and potential level of offence. The same generation shouts "racist!" at any mention of race or perceived racial aspect.

"Gammon" is thrown around on here sometimes but could be seen as intentionally offensive. I seem to recall "Jock" having a similar effect.

Anything constructive taken to an extreme can become destructive.

My two theories:

1) Much "racism" is actually "culturalism";
2) The racist/homophobic grandmothers, colonels, etc., are actually the honest ones: there are probably many more who hold similar views but don't express them and will continue to do so.

The forces? Don't expect someone to watch your back and fight with you if you have spent years giving them abuse. Everyone fights to get their mates home, not themselves.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #222426713th Apr 2021 8:14 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

having sat in on fairly high level briefings etc including many multi national briefings then the terminology used on the ground is never used at that level, only military terminology was used.

its only the boots on the ground that refer to lads, guys, men etc and nobody EVER took offence at that level in the time I served. Like I said previously nobody on the ground levels are bothered by such minor terminology, only by the ability to do a job. A squaddie is a squaddie no matter what.

This drive towards PC in every aspect of the armed forces just smacks of the current 'cancel culture' and the hierarchy covering their own butts so they cant be sued by the one individual who decides to take offence at such trivial terminology.

of course any more serious, intentional or derogatory terminology should be dealt with accordingly but the use of the words lads to describe a group of soldiers is beneath trivial IMO.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #222426913th Apr 2021 8:19 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The armed forces are still employers at the end of the day. Employment laws and what is and is not acceptable continually evolve.

A lot of fuss about nothing in my opinion. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #222427213th Apr 2021 8:35 am
Ivan

United Kingdom 

Moo wrote:
Who says I haven't served.... Wink

Of my family that served. Two are racists (one of whom retired as a Colonel), one is a communist the other became a pacifist. Amongst them one was awarded a MC.

All saw combat.

Well did you serve? You are keen to mention your family having served but nothing about yourself.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #222427813th Apr 2021 9:05 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nothing glorious: 1986-1990. RCT. Medical discharge pre Sandhurst (accident on a log run).

Anyway, back on topic. I agree with both sides of this argument. The world is going to 'woke and snowflakey' and this is an example of that, however, the MoD is an employer so has to be cognoscente of the fact that it has a responsibility to its employees. Its not great but that's as it it.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #222429213th Apr 2021 10:03 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Storm on a tea cup.

Back in the day when many parts of the armed forces were still male only it was fine. That’s not the case anymore though. If I was addressing a meeting, I wouldn’t refer to a mixed workforce in the singular sex, it would be rude.

I don’t see the difference between civvy street and the armed forces in that respect.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #222431313th Apr 2021 11:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >