Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

After a lot of reading Iv come to a conclusion…
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mickdisco3

After a lot of reading Iv come to a conclusion…

Good afternoon.
I bought a discovery 3 a early one a few weeks ago, when my shoguns fuel pump went, and I couldn’t justify a new pump for it.

I need a 4x4 for work (recovery ) and after borrowing my mates a couple of times was impressed with how well they tow.

The one I bought how ever is a bit of a basket case, was offered it by a friend of my other friend who had had it to 2 different garages and spent a lot on it and was getting no where fixing the fault. Fault being…..

Taking along time to start when cold and even longer when hot, also under load going into limp mode. Although on way home I worked out if I put clutch in and let it drop to idle then carried on driving it would kinda reset.

So for the last week or two Iv done nothing in my spare time but read the forum to try and make a educated guess…. Which was the in tank pump.

I thought that since when you open the bonnet nearly every sensor has been changed for new in a effort to trace down the fault that some one would have checked this first, but to my suprise the bolts holding the tank up were nicely rotted with no sign of a socket being on them recently!

Iv dropped the tank taken the lid off the top and it’s a mess. There were pipes randomly floating about and a black wire danglerling with no where to go! The positive and negative to the pump it’s self is still connected tho.

When I removed the pump itself the filter at the bottom in black, and even has a back log of more filth around it!

Now I’m really hoping that this is going to be the issue and I’m far too impatient to wait to order a pump to find out!

My questions being
1) what do you think
2) is all the bits n bobs complicated to reassemble and put back in

Any advice would be lovely, wanted to actually read the site and have a go then ask advice, rather then stabbing in the dark first!
Cheers
Mike

Post #230901428th Sep 2022 3:44 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have had the black snot block the fuel pump gauze on a td5 years ago.

Post #230904628th Sep 2022 8:40 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Clean it out and reconnect everything and see if it improves, you may not need a new pump but you'll only confirm that by getting the pressures read.

Post #230906929th Sep 2022 12:35 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

I had exactly the same issue, before it started throwing faults the pump became noisier - not so you could hear it with the engine running but you definitely heard it when the ignition was turned on. I did try cleaning the pre-filter and that improved the fuel pressure but the pump was no longer capable of delivering the quantity of fuel required.

So, long story short, if your pump is noisy, then it'll likely need replacing.

Post #230907629th Sep 2022 7:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >