Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Low battery warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
goldypurple

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Low battery warning

Background: Fitted new battery this week, have an Autel AP200 tool which I think I managed to reset BCM but for the last two mornings when I unlock the car I'm getting low battery please start warning message. after that I dont see it anymore throughout the day.

anyone any ideas? not coded properly?

tia

Post #230919530th Sep 2022 8:46 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Not charging is more likely.

What voltage have you got (first thing in the morning, engine not running)? It should be holding better than 13 volts overnight.

Have you had a chance to do a decent run to make sure it is fully charged? They often do not come from a store fully charged.

See what you find before distrusting the BCM has failed - maybe.

Others will be along shortly Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #230920330th Sep 2022 9:15 am
goldypurple

forgot to mention new alternator fitted as well.

getting 14.7 volts on the multimeter when its running.

vehicle has done a run over 100miles since fitting

only get message when you unlock car prior to starting, battery is strong as the starter button is working as it should, better than before changing battery. Before hand would have to hold button for it start now you only have to touch it one and it will start.

Post #230920630th Sep 2022 9:37 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

At least it shows the alternator is good, the low battery warning is very sensitive I only have to leave the radio on for 5 minutes with the engine off for me to get the warning.
Have you any added mods that may be pulling the battery down?- if so disconnect them and see what happens, also the alternator cannot fully charge the battery no matter how far you travel like a battery charger Thumbs Up
You don’t say what type of battery you fitted, I assumed it is an AGM if so that rate of charge on startup is ok, but if a lead acid it’s low should be nearer 15.5v for the first few minutes in cold weather and a low charged battery providing the BCM is set for a lead acid battery.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #230921930th Sep 2022 10:22 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

What is the terminal voltage at the battery in the mornings? - before starting the vehicle and before turning the ignition on.
You won't see anything like 13V, that's not possible but 12.1 - 12.3VDC should be achievable.
are any of the interior lights set to 'on'? They will go off when the voltage drops but can pull the battery down sufficiently to trigger the warning, finally, what is the voltage at the interior fuse box in the morning, again, before the ignition is turned on. You can either measure battery positive terminal to the top of a fuse or ground point to fuse top, either method will show any volt drop.

Post #230926030th Sep 2022 3:37 pm
goldypurple

voltage at the battery terminals was 11.9v, so need to invstigate, brand new battery and I tried charging it on my optimate charger and it wasnt charged after 12 hours charging so i'm suspect maybe a duff battery Sad but its new

Post #23094482nd Oct 2022 2:06 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Being new doesn't mean a thing, what is the manufacturing date on it? - it's possible it's just sulphated due to long storage, leaving it on charge with a decent charger for a few days may recover it. Worth a try.

Post #23094672nd Oct 2022 7:12 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

goldypurple wrote:
voltage at the battery terminals was 11.9v, so need to invstigate, brand new battery and I tried charging it on my optimate charger and it wasnt charged after 12 hours charging so i'm suspect maybe a duff battery Sad but its new

Take it back to where you got it from!- simples.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23095183rd Oct 2022 10:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >