Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Low Battery Warning - starts on jump /won't start on own
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mrlovell

United Kingdom 2016 LR4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackLR4
Low Battery Warning - starts on jump /won't start on own

So - the whole issue started a few weeks ago when the System Energy Management (might be worded slightly different) warning came on the dash whilst driving. When I stopped, the car wouldn't start again - the dash lights all came on, power was there, but wouldn;t engage... the gear knob wouldn't even raise.

So - the above, after some days of investigation, appeared to be a corroded earth cable from body - chasis - battery. My friendly mechanic has put a new one in place, replaced the battery (both batteries), plugged in teh diagnostics and cleared codes, told of new battery etc. and all started fine.

ANYWAY... the issue I now have is that once I got the vehicle home, and then tried to start it the following morning, it won't start!! A load of lights come on the dash, but not as you would see on normal start up. But then nothing... no crank, no spark, no nothing. I had the AA out, they jump started it with no problems. I took it for a long drive and then as soon as I got it home, turned it off and immediately tried to start it again - NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!

Any thoughts or advice - or better still a known solution would be very welcome... my second car is in the garage too, so I'm stranded!!

Cheers

Post #232983512th Mar 2023 10:52 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

What voltage is the battery showing?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #232984012th Mar 2023 12:01 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Low Battery Warning - starts on jump /won't start on own

mrlovell wrote:
So - the whole issue started a few weeks ago when the System Energy Management (might be worded slightly different) warning came on the dash whilst driving. When I stopped, the car wouldn't start again - the dash lights all came on, power was there, but wouldn;t engage... the gear knob wouldn't even raise.

So - the above, after some days of investigation, appeared to be a corroded earth cable from body - chasis - battery. My friendly mechanic has put a new one in place, replaced the battery (both batteries), plugged in teh diagnostics and cleared codes, told of new battery etc. and all started fine.

ANYWAY... the issue I now have is that once I got the vehicle home, and then tried to start it the following morning, it won't start!! A load of lights come on the dash, but not as you would see on normal start up. But then nothing... no crank, no spark, no nothing. I had the AA out, they jump started it with no problems. I took it for a long drive and then as soon as I got it home, turned it off and immediately tried to start it again - NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!

Any thoughts or advice - or better still a known solution would be very welcome... my second car is in the garage too, so I'm stranded!!

Cheers

brake lights working ok ? dont shoot me down but you are holding the brake pedal down when starting ?
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #232984812th Mar 2023 12:51 pm
mrlovell

Hardware wrote:
What voltage is the battery showing?

Thanks for replying... Showing 14v when running. Was around 13.2v when off.

Post #232986112th Mar 2023 2:32 pm
mrlovell

Re: Low Battery Warning - starts on jump /won't start on own

brake lights working ok ? dont shoot me down but you are holding the brake pedal down when starting ?[/quote]

Thanks for replying... Yes to both... Brake lights seem fine and foot firmly on brake pedal when starting.

Not that I know, but to me it seems as if the battery is fine when running, but drains completely as soon as the car is turned off. Probably not quite the case, but this is what it seems like to me. Totally confused!

Post #232986212th Mar 2023 2:35 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Try a jump lead from the negative on the battery to metal work attached to the engine as it sounds typical of the engine earth issue. If it starts normally thats your issue. The fact that the AA jump started it would also point to this as if they did it properly they will have taken the N- jump lead to the engine and not to the battery post on the car.
Did you have the chassis to engine earth strap renewed?

Post #232989312th Mar 2023 7:19 pm
mrlovell

Thanks for your reply. I'll give the jump lead suggestion a go and let you know the result.

As for the previously corroded earth... I think my mechanic was unable to locate the corroded one so has simply added a new one. Perhaps this is causing issues??

Post #232989712th Mar 2023 7:34 pm
mrlovell

FIXED

Took a while to pinpoint, but it turned out BOTH of the earth cables from battery to chasis and battery to body had corroded. New earth cables in place and BOOM - back on the road.

Thanks for all those who replied wityh suggestions.

Post #233007014th Mar 2023 3:54 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Its a very common thing to happen ! The cable that causes the problem is accessed in the drivers side by removing the wheel arch liner. The engine is earthed from a split cable that is attached to the chassis and the body at that point . For what its worth when mine gave up at a Tesco car park its still running with the temporary cable I took from battery to engine.

Post #233009414th Mar 2023 9:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >