Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Low Cost GPS Tracker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

jamez79 wrote:
Bit late for my reply, but I've fitted a tracker to my bike. £19 and looks like a relay. £3 sim with Lebara who use Vodafone network.

It will give me geo fence info if removed or enters, vidration alert, ign on and off, and all the usual status of the tracker. I can use Micodus for the app or just text it "where" and it sends me a Google maps link which I can then just press navigate for directions.

It will also show me the speed and route of the last journey. For £19 and a £3 a month sim, it's amazing. Going to fit them to mine and the mrs' motors too.

I've probably missed it but do you have a link please ?

Post #23211794th Jan 2023 9:01 am
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Certainly, hopefully this will work...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284086425283?mk...media=COPY

I then just got a SIM using uSwitch to find a cheap deal. I'm in Vodafone so like their network for signal by me so Lebara did one for £3 a month 1gb is plenty of data for it.

I've just wired the live, ground and ign. I haven't yet bothered with the fuel cut off but may do that in the future.

When the SIM arrives, insert and apply power (ctek charger on supply is fine). Then you just text the SIM the network details and it'll reply with 'ok'.

Then you can set the app up. PM me if you get stuck and I'll try to help. Thumbs Up

Post #23212014th Jan 2023 12:05 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

So a quick update,

Received the FMT-100 Tracker from Vigitech, in the car & working a treat. Didi need a bit of help from tech support as I couldn't work out why it went offline when the car went to sleep, but apparently, when the car goes to sleep, the tracker goes to sleep too & only wakes if the vehicle moves or an current change is sensed in the electrical system. This of course minimises battery drain. So far, so good.

Now for the Chinese C13 Relay tracker. At £16.50 it seemed worth a punt, but it turns out the market is flooded with copies of copies of these devices. Stuck the sim in it , powered it up, assigned the APN details for Giffgaff I think (lots of hard to figure command line greeted with a Chinese language response in the god awful app! So it's online, I can ping basic commands to it & get a low accuracy positioning through GSM, it's moved from china to Devon on the map, so I'm making progress! I then discover there is no GPS signal. Digging around on the internet reveals there are a good number of these floating around that will not secure a GPS signal, with no obvious solution. I then also discover its got no internal back up battery which it is advertised as having. of course without it once the power is cut that's it, end of any form of tracking.

So I'm back to the drawing board on the cheap cheap tracker. I see jamez79 has posted details of one so i might look into that as a second bite at the cherry.

As they say, you pay cheap, you pay twice!

Cheers n Gone Nick Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #23216517th Jan 2023 3:12 pm
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

This is the link to the item I bought if that helps...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265075885374?mk...media=COPY

I have ordered another from the first link I posted but as yet, that one is untested as it hasn't arrived.

This one in this link works sweet as a nut.

Good luck.

Post #23217057th Jan 2023 7:46 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

So I gave up on the cheap C13 Relay style GPS tracker for the lads little runaround. It was a copy of a copy with some features stripped out.

I did though buy a ST-901 through SinoTrack & I have to say for a smidge under £20 quid & a GiffGaff PAYG sim first impressions are good.

Once you have the detail you need to set it up such as APN, IP & Port settings is simple enough by sending SMS commands from you phone.

This is the 2G GSM/GPRS version, not the more expensive 3/4G version.

Once you get used to the functionality of the app & webpage it gives basis information of all that you would expect, plus a bit more than i was expecting for a basis tracker.

There are reports for Speed, Travel, Last locations & Trips etc in the web interface. Replay mode for trips with speeds categorised by colour codes. The usual geofence options & alarms for various situations by SMS, email & in app.

It's a shame you can't change from KM to MPH, but it's not a showstopper.

Here are a few shots.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Might be of interested to someone for something.

Cheers n Gone Nick Thumbs Up

Post #232254613th Jan 2023 4:34 pm
Moleshome

Skagg wrote:

Received the FMT-100 Tracker from Vigitech, in the car & working a treat.

Out of interest how did you connect it up? The adverts I've seen for these make a big thing of being able to fit it straight across the battery terminals which would seem to be the obvious place for any thieving scrotes to look.

Post #232266714th Jan 2023 3:21 pm
Skagg

I thought the same, therefore I found a permanent live and a suitable ground elsewhere in the car and used that to ensure its not in an obvious place

Cheers n Gone Nick

Post #232267514th Jan 2023 5:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >