Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Low to High Line Audio How to ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Connectors still there on mine, swap back when I need to. I'll leave the new speakers in probably.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44567128th Mar 2009 10:57 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can see your point Andrew, but those with in initial budget constraint that want the lr bits at a later date( perhaps cheap from a breakers) could then possibly get the upgrade. At least it should all be possible. Cabers point is valid also, if you have to pay dealer price, then not economical. The power of e-bay and decent breakers though make it possible. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #44568528th Mar 2009 11:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

its the same reasoning as those of us who buy a vanilla D3 and add all the bits on later - it took me over 2 years piece-meal to get all the bits I wanted on the blue D3 (and about 2 hours to get them all off again)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #44570628th Mar 2009 12:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
charless

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Not really related, I think Confused , but I stripped the complete interior in my South African spec S, seats carpets everything. Thinking of adding a couple of things.

Found the complete wiring loom for PDC, so in theory it should be possible to add and enable.

Thing of adding the 6CD head unit and amp, but using aftermarket speakers, don't see any reason why it should not be possible.

I will have a look at what the standard head unit loom contains post info.

Back to work Razz

Post #44572528th Mar 2009 1:01 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As SJR said, there are already lots of threads on the board already for discussing model specs, best buys and relative value for money and even more discussing retro fitting of I pods, PC,s Third party sat Navs and third party Audio. And for anyone who has purchased and paid for one of the top of the line models with all the bits or who has decked their car out like the space shuttle, I really am glad that you have what you want, However for reasons of economy, interest, a desire to learn or self achieve, self pride, a love of fiddling and modifying, achieving a more standard looking and less scumbag appealing result than third party equipment, and fuller vehicle co integration, and as one of the only possible audio upgrades i believe is not going to de value the car to Mr and Mrs 2.4 children
The fact is that there are a lot of owners with Low line audio who are interested in the possibility of finding an economically viable way to upgrade to high line audio. I started this thread for that reason and no other.

SJR, I have both High Line and Low Line looms right here, i have examined their differences and i could come up with a list of the part numbers. As mentioned, i already have the MOST ones In the past when sourcing connectors such as these i found that a lot were cheap but had an obstructive minimum order qty.

SN & Slimer, If making the effort it would be nice to take it as far as possible, but definitely going to be easier in smaller stages.

Powella, the more like existing speaker count the better / easier, however i been considering that aspect and i have two possibilities up my sleeve. The first is that the door cards are actually very inexpensive, so we could replace them for high line ones. the bad news is that the additional speakers are extra and the wiring loom is too (the wiring is twice the cost of the door cards but then that's because they also have flood lighting electric mirrors etc. But we might be able to add in extra wires if we can get the pins along with the others SJR was suggesting. The second is that in my past i have been an Audio Video repair engineer for a number of years actually specializing in car Audio. I am confident, well more hopeful actually Rolling Eyes that if needed i can identify and document a series of simple modifications to the standard amp to reduce the output to suit the Low line speaker set. however that would seem to be going backwards a bit on the sound quality aspect but if it gets all the other features in then it might be a way out of that particular problem.

When sourcing parts, you look at the list of options just for a door loom and it is quite overwhelming, the worst thing is that the descriptions of difference are quite vague. typically this means that the By VIN approach is the only way to guarantee the right part. But when trying to do something like this or find the most economical variant with no more than what you need, it is not easy.

Therefore if we can identify a car that has the closest feature set we need, it would be helpful if we can get its VIN to help when selecting and identifying part numbers.

Post #44573728th Mar 2009 1:20 pm
powella

Australia 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

On the door wiring, as we are all aware the differences between country and spec can be wide and varied.

Hence on my car Aussie Spec 07 HSE:
- No electric folding mirrors Crying or Very sad
- Puddle Lights in the doors but not in the mirrors
- High Line Radio
- 8 Speakers
- No SatNav or display from factory

So it would be interesting to see if the wiring loom has the extra wiring for the folding mirrors and flood lighting.... But also interesting from a project perspective to confirm which wiring loom it is....

Cheers,
AP.
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6, Java Black. Towing a Kimberley Karavan... somewhere...  
Post #44604928th Mar 2009 11:47 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

puddle lights in the mirrors are not available on any current disco3 from factory build, these are RRS / FFRR only currently

Post #44606829th Mar 2009 12:17 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

This whole upgrading process raises interesting questions. As far a vehicle value is concerned, when it comes to trade-in time, a SE is still just that. The additional amount you'll get for having added a few extras would be negligible. There are plenty of things that go onto the HSE (in hardware terms) that don't on lesser models, and it is largely that that makes the difference. If the SE owner (of XS) wants to spend thousands on parts and time, they could largely create an HSE lookalike (apart from the roof).....is it worth any more than the SE when they starter? Probably not as much as they have actually put into it.

There is another important issue that has not been raised at all: insurance. Any modification that is made to a vehicle, other than accessory fittings, should by the letter be reported to your insurance company. These guys look for any and every way they can not to pay in the event of a claim, or at least to minimise what they pay. If you upgrade your factory delivered standard by means that the manufacturer would certainly not endorse as approved, and fail to mention this to you insurer, you run the risk of them refusing the pay if they discover something that gives them the let out. It is well known that they will interogate vehicles for performance upgrades.........and there is no reason why they might not look elsewhere for a get out.

Post #44615629th Mar 2009 11:42 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Interesting point Winger Thumbs Up
While others may have different reasons for wanting to do this, I am not personally all that interested in how converting my own vehicle from low line to high line spec or parts thereof, affects the value positively or negatively.
Regarding insurance, if fitting a better stereo, a sat nav or 6 cd changer is enough to completely invalidate ones insurance, then hell the UK has a much bigger problem than this. I could of course agree that having a 7 inch pioneer LCD sticking out of your dash or a few hundred pounds worth of tom tom displayed on your windscreen might make insurance companies twitch about the risk of your window getting broken suddenly having risen exponentially, or that someone having modified their car specifically for performance might be deemed a higher risk to them, but this is not exactly in either of those categories.

I have actually been studying the speaker layout of the various vehicle specs and the amplifier outputs.
the low line system has simply 4 pairs of outputs going to each door, in the front door the pair is split with the usual coil & capacitor crossover into mid & bass frequency which is fed to the speaker in the door, and a high frequencies for the tweeter by the mirror. The rear doors simply get it all straight into their door speaker, although they might filter out high frequencies.

On the Harmon kardon high line system (not the logic 7 / super premium version) the amplifier outputs the same 4 pairs, which are handled the same in the front doors and in the rears now simply get a tweeter added, which can be done with a crossover as the front doors, Obviously the wattage increases but the speakers are actually physically the same. The main change appears to be only 2 more pairs which are driven to a single sub woofer mounted in the lower tailgate.
so potentially we should be able to leave the doors untouched and simply add the sub woofer in the tailgate, which is bound to be simpler and cheaper.

Sadly its not all good news, i have remembered that the high line IHU has multiple antennae requirements to correctly apply antennae diversity and RDS, this is normally catered for on the rear side window and the rear tailgate window. need to check glass part numbers.

Powella, any chance you could PM me your VIN number, i will have a look at some of the part numbers based on it and pull up your cars config for my own reference. naturally it will of course be treated as confidential information.

Post #44617929th Mar 2009 12:26 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Provided that its done in a sensible manner, site users have every right to question or raise reasonable concerns about any product or service without fear of this "finding reasons to put people off" type of pressure that seems to have become apparent recently. It is up to the sponsor to allay any concerns and provide the relevant reassurances.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 29th Mar 2009 4:57 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #44625329th Mar 2009 4:47 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I have no objections to answering points of general interest or concern, however you can hopefully appreciate that i may have just cause to suspect that in some cases, someones real motives and intent are not as they seem, In this case they appear quite transparent to everybody.

Perhaps Simon, in fairness you may indeed now for once have a point worth discussing and debating, however, i am sorry to say your recent approach has done little for your credibility in many peoples eyes, including mine.

The fact of the matter is this, we have been producing and supplying equipment capable of modifying a vehicles capability and specification for more years than i care to remember. Our equipment has always been the most innovative and feature rich there is and yet costs the least. We have built up a most enviable reputation with even the most inexperienced of users having had absolutely no problem using it. Our equipment is specifically tailored for private owners / enthusiasts and not one customer has ever managed to screw up a car using our equipment or had insurance issues.

However, in the next few days, i might not be posting as often, due to the sheer volume of orders from members that i need to now concentrate on getting shipped. These will not be the first to have our D3 equipment, we already have quite a few existing and quite happy owners. And am am quite confident that in good time many existing members will be more than happy to also share their own independent views and experiences.

So you see, no matter what, it is, and always has been, only a matter of time before the inevitable and we start to provide on masse the much wanted and long awaited diagnostic solution that every owner of any aging D3 knows in his heart he will be better of with.

Change and progress is ultimately inevitable, the only real question is how long it is going to take before some people realize and accept that.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 31st Mar 2009 11:46 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44631929th Mar 2009 6:11 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BBS SPY wrote:
Perhaps Simon, in fairness you may indeed now for once have a point worth discussing and debating, however, i am sorry to say your recent approach has done little for your credibility in many peoples eyes, including mine

My deleted comments still stand. They were my personal views. I am allowed to have these, unless it appears in one of your threads it seems.

I am fed up with the lack of openness and transparency on this forum recently.

It appears to have become led more by commercial reasoning than allowing people to air their views.

Post #44637529th Mar 2009 7:28 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Andrew, you have mail.
Some very interesting stuff there, so you don't have a HLDF (Touch screen) then, but you do have the 6 CD changer style head unit and separate amp then. I just wonder if you have the connectors for the HLDF behind the panel. Could be a very easy upgrade for you.

regards

Colin

Post #44732931st Mar 2009 11:42 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Low to High Line Audio How to ?

BBS SPY wrote:
although i hear that the HLDF uses a different dash top part number that physically does not include plastic that forms the back of the hole etc. Maybe the low line one can be cut away but i am not sure and would require someone to look into that which is job number 1A.

BBS SPY - I have a euro-spec SE (equivalent to a UK 'S' spec) with the base radio and no screen.

I can confirm that the top dash moulding is different, but that it can be 'modified' to fit a genuine LR touch screen as though it were factory fit.

If you're interested I can try and find some photos of mine. Thumbs Up

I should say that mine isn't used in conjuntion with the hi-line/LR nav system Whistle
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #44737231st Mar 2009 1:24 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thats Ace Paul
Now thats what i call positive contribution, Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
a few piccies and a little bit of a write up to give an idea of the process would be just great.
Job 1A sorted, many thanks Thumbs Up
Door Wiring reviewed & sorted,
the only jobs left are these antennas and the wiring then.
mind you a probably missed a few bits yet to be discovered for sure.

In my spare time ( Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ) I am trying to complile a list of the connector and pin part numbers we would need to power the hi line Head unit from the low lines plug and get the CAN BUS tap, and re wire the speaker wires from the old head units location down to the Amps location and plug them into the amp.
I figure to do up a drawing and try to find someone to get some qty of looms professionally made so its a plug in job. All the plugs are likely made by Tyco Amp as are the fibre optic bits, so it should be a one shop job.

Andrew did you get that Amp part number ? you know i bet you its the same amp with different software in it Laughing

Post #44740231st Mar 2009 2:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >