DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Low to High Line Audio How to ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Low to High Line Audio How to ?

I have seen a lot of threads & discussion here, and indeed have received some mail and PM from a number of members / interested parties in the possibilities of upgrading a Base vehicles low line Single CD system to the High line one with 6 cd changer, the touch screen display, sat nav etc.

I also own a Low line D3 and share equally in this thought / desire, and hence in the spirit of contribution to this most excellent community , I start this thread, in the hope of forming a single common place where this task, which is widely regarded and repeatedly indicated as impossible or economically nonviable, might, with sufficient will and joint effort, might actually become possible / feasible and with luck, success and joint effort hopefully this thread will become one worthy of becoming a sticky of continual reference. If not, well at least it be a damned good try of interest to many readers and somewhere to point future like minded members to:D

Now to the matter in hand,
As i see it there are 3 main aspects / areas that would require to be addressed.
1) Identifying, obtaining and fitting the new High Line Audio components.
2) Wiring the new Audio components up
3) re configuring the vehicle to accept these and integrate them as original.

In the past, the combination of all 3 has indeed made the task appear quite insurmountable. In particular, since there has never been a way to re configure the vehicle, even throwing all the money in the world at items 1 and 2 has been quickly dismissed as an almost certain waste of time and money,
However a very recently publicized on the board event, has had a knock on effect of really changing the situation quite drastically. I refer of course to our companies release of software capable of configuring any Disco 3 (high line or Low line, entirely as one wishes. If you have not seen this already, check out the start of this thread which shows off its effectshttp://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32772.html
Please don't imagine for one second i am promoting buying one of our systems, i am not, there will ultimately now be many with the capability of configuring your car as required for a few quid / beer tokens that could not before, which is all that really matters here Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

As someone who has had this capability myself for some time, i have had the luxury of a time to give a lot more consideration to the other two areas / aspects than many might previously have had, and i am also fortunate enough to be blessed with what might be regarded a better than average knowledge and understanding of the whole system and how it works than most, which of course i will happily share.

However, although me and my company may well be able to solve item 3 and we may have a lot of ideas and input to go with our CAN DO attitude, sadly my own desires to upgrade my own vehicle and our stretched resources, mean i am personally unable to fully exploit the directions and thoughts that i have about how to solve the other 2 requirements for the task.

In essence therefore, and totally in the spirit of collaboration / participation of a communally beneficial project, i am hoping and looking for the time, effort and assistance of any members who share in my dream and desire to turn this once considered impossible task into a How to.

However any acknowledgment of people who share the desire / wish to achieve this is equally welcome. Thumbs Up

So we jointly have 2 problems and to start the ball rolling i will share my thoughts and knowledge of both remaining problems.

Item 1; Identifying, obtaining and fitting the new Audio components.
At minimum, the high line 6 cd changer unit (IHU) , the separate under seat amp (AMP) and the touch screen display or High Level Display Front (HLDF) to give it its proper technical name) will be needed. In addition the under seat SAT NAV DVD (SAT NAV) unit might also be considered essential too, but i am not sure 100% that a high line system cannot be made without, but for the sake of argument, lets include it anyway. Obviously one could buy new, and ensure the latest versions, perhaps with TLO's help on that Very Happy, however, i got all these items for an average of 100 each of EBAY.
the SAT NAV and AMP simply have a mounting bracket, the IHU mounts as the old one, although i hear that the HLDF uses a different dash top part number that physically does not include plastic that forms the back of the hole etc. Maybe the low line one can be cut away but i am not sure and would require someone to look into that which is job number 1A. In addition however i know that the AMP drives more speakers, indeed there seems to be two versions of Amp, standard and logic 7 which has even more speakers, but more on this later.

Item 2; Wiring the new audio components up
Definitely more difficult than 1) especially if like me, you don't have all the plugs that the ECU's use and the fact that there are fibre optics involved would phase most, however, please recall my mention of the need for a CAN DO attitude / approach. I have identified the make and part numbers of all the fibre optic connector / cable parts and if required we could try to source the other connectors and requisite parts too. however, in thinking this over i think i may have identified a possible short cut worthy of investigation by anyone who wishes to participate in our joint venture. It is this. In 2005 the FFRR had its entire BMW originated infotainment system ripped out and replaced with the very same items we need to fit, i cannot believe that they did not have a separate loom for this new introduction since they changed nothing else till late 2006. I am hopeful that by identifying and obtaining such INFOTAINMENT loom that we will be provided with a solution that is readily available, cost effective and provides all required connectors in one go. Again i require someone willing to pursue this line of thought to conclusion as i cannot justify the resources myself.

Hopefully in sharing, i have inspired some of you to actively join in this communal wish and contribute in the researching the areas so many want / need to resolve to do this task and i really hope that jointly we get there.

Post #44538427th Mar 2009 8:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can't help you, but I like the thought process and detail you've gone through. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #44544127th Mar 2009 9:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Moved to NE&E

Post #44554627th Mar 2009 11:59 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thank you whoever, you know what i mean
And thanks Bodsy, for you words of support, it really would be great if we as a community can pull together enough to finally do this seemingly impossible thing that so many have had to give up on. i really feel it is do able.

Post #44554728th Mar 2009 12:02 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

In just thinking this through...I wonder if there would be any merit in finding a full wiring loom for an HSE and a full wiring loom for a base spec, and seeing if any of the bits that are missing/different can be made up using connectors available in the electronics marketplace. Might be a business opportunity for someone into electronics to provide ready made up cable kits for some of the additions that the faultmate can enable (for example: TV connectors which have been vexing some in another thread , as well as Audio upgrades).

Just a thought Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Last edited by SJR on 28th Mar 2009 12:06 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44554828th Mar 2009 12:04 am
mac.marty

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

On a german forum, a member got a RRS with the wrong spec (high instead of premium nav). It was the dealers or factory fault since he also had a rear diff that he did not order. Problem is, he drove the car for 2 weeks before he found out....

On his way to get the ordered premium, the dealer indicated costs for the dealer of about 16.000 EUR in time and material for the exchanged/additional parts. At the end, they swapped his cart for a new one with his spec.

What does this say to me.... It can be done but it is plenty of work and you have to take half of the car appart.

So my personal suggestion would be to stay inside the software part and find out how to make the car belive the original head unit is still build in, although it is substituted by a neet aftermarket 2DIN solution. Things like - how to set the clock...

just my 2 cents - and not intended to stop you trying...

Martin

Post #44554928th Mar 2009 12:05 am
SN

Just for completeness - the old S (mine) and XS's had Hi Line 6 CD Stereo WITHOUT Sat Nav and Screen

GOing for the 6CD changer setup first may be an easier first step than trying to bite off the SatNav/Screen too
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #44555128th Mar 2009 12:13 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Martin wrote:
Moved to NE&E

So alternative views are now not allowed Martin ? Rolling Eyes

I see others posts have not been removed.

I have an XS and bought a TomTom and added iPod to my audio setup... shoot me.

Last edited by simon on 28th Mar 2009 12:18 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44555428th Mar 2009 12:16 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Can't see why you'd need the touch screen and sat nav components to upgrade the audio system?
 The End  
Post #44555528th Mar 2009 12:18 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Simon

The point is that the thread is quite specifically about how to upgrade the base audio to premium, not what other options there are. Alternatives have been done plenty of times in other threads.

Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #44555628th Mar 2009 12:20 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

For sure the difference in car specification between those with low line and high line starts at the entire wiring loom with nigh on 1000 GBP difference. but even if you bought one of the High line looms the labour / effort would make it beyond economical hence what they were saying. But that s why i suggested us making up a new add on loom which might look to be based on a 2005 Range Rover.

Post #44555828th Mar 2009 12:22 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks SN & Slimer
I personally did not know that there was a configuration possibility for 6 CD IHU without HLDF & SAT NAV, gives us at least a mid point possibility.

Post #44556228th Mar 2009 12:30 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Replacing with an after market system would be easier, cheaper and give more functionality I would think.
Replaced my base stereo with a pioneer single DIN. I can play music via I-Pod, USB stick, Bluetooth to any device, MP3 disc, CD or Aux in. Other Double Din units will do Sat Nav, TV and other Video inputs.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44558528th Mar 2009 1:39 am
powella

Australia 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

FWIW, the other point to note about the mid spec is:
- 8 Speakers - not 12....
- AMP is still under the seat

So assuming it still has the Optic fiber between the HU and the AMP, it will be interesting to see if it is the same AMP....

I might pop my head under there tomorrow and see if I can dig out a part number of similar.....

AP.
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6, Java Black. Towing a Kimberley Karavan... somewhere...  
Post #44564828th Mar 2009 10:13 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I was going to say why dont you simply buy the car with the spec you want Question but decided not to as I would get shouted at. I am all up for sorting things out and getting stuff to work and the likes. But (Anal Sensible Head ON) When to take your car into a dealer to part ex they may frown on the mods you have made, and devalue the car Exclamation Not having a dig BTW.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #44566528th Mar 2009 10:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >