Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Lower control arms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think you will find that the GTR instructions will say it needs a wheel alignment. Dealer is being cheap. I am sure they will not get it exactly right as the alignemt would be out with the old ones flopping around.
Write a letter and get them to put it on file that you will hold them reponsible for a new set of tyres if you get un-even wear. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49966025th Jul 2009 1:07 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had an alignment done when the stealer replaced the lower arms on mine. Luckily for me, I replaced the tyres the day before - so it was good timing!

Post #49971625th Jul 2009 10:33 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Moved in here as not a regional issue Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #49971925th Jul 2009 11:13 am
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I asked my service rep again if there needed to be an alignment done after reading the comments in this thread.

His response by email: "The tech stated that the alignment with the new control arms is good.  An alignment is not needed with the way he replaced the arms".

I'll inquire how this was completed without alignment - considering most people on here had an alignment done after control arm replacement.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #49975025th Jul 2009 2:08 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

No wonder the US had more problems with uneven tyre wear, the dealers do not think the wheel alignment is important.

The LR GTR manual has as the last insruction to catty out a wheel alignment. If they do not do one they are not doing the job according to LR specs. Evil or Very Mad

Here is what it says:

I'll put the whole procedure in a PDF for you tomorrow as i don't have Acrobat distiller on this computer.

"8 . Connect the upper arm and wheel knuckle. Install a new nut and tighten to 70 Nm (52 lb.ft).

9 . Secure the stabilizer bar link. Tighten the nut to 115 Nm (85 lb.ft).

10 . Connect the tie-rod end ball joint. Install a new nut and tighten to 76 Nm (56 lb.ft).

11 . Install a new halfshaft retaining nut and lightly tighten.

12 . Secure the brake hose retaining bracket to the wheel knuckle. Tighten the bolt to 25 Nm (18 lb.ft).

13 . Secure the LH stabilizer link. Tighten the nut to 115 Nm (85 lb.ft).

14 . Tighten the halfshaft retaining nut to 350 Nm (258 lb.ft). Stake the nut to the halfshaft.

15 . Set the height distance between the centre of the halfshaft end and the edge of the fender trim to 466 mm (18.34'').

16 . Tighten the lower arm bolts to 275 Nm (203 lb.ft). Align the bolts to the marks made previously.

17 . Install the RH lower arm.
For additional information, refer to Front suspension, 204-01.

18 . Install the wheels and tires. Tighten the wheel nuts to 140 Nm (103 lb.ft).

19 . Carry out the wheel alignment procedure. "
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49992426th Jul 2009 12:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >