DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Lower insurance for young drivers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
Lower insurance for young drivers

Some of you may have already found this, but if not, here's my latest finding

Youngest (19) has a 1.2 Clio, 2 yrs no claims in her own right, full licence for a year, been insured with Ingenie with a black box fitted to the car. last year was close on 1400 quid, this year renewal just over 1200 quid.Shopping around was still in the same ball park, until I spoke to Admiral about Multicar.

By adding my D4 and missus Captur, daughters fully comp without black box was 660 for the year. Misuss car went down by 50quid against her current annual insurance, OK mine went up by 250, but overall saving annually was approx 400 quid on the 3 cars.

The daft thing is, we dont actually have to move our 2 cars to Admiral later in 2018 if we dont like the price as once the first premium (on the Clio) is paid, thats the price on that fixed for the year. It would only go back up next year (Jan 2019) as we wouldnt have taken up the "multicar" deal - not saying we would go that route as overall saving is pretty good.

Worth a look Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #18979025th Jan 2018 5:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

It works until you come to renewal on year 2.... by then all of your policies are with Admiral and all expire on the same date.... what they plan is that you won’t go elsewhere as suddenly it’s a load of agg to sort out so many policies on the same date...

Your policy will suddenly increase significantly....

If you play it carefully you can get it to work for you... be prepared come policy renewal time and do your homework...use a comparison site and know what you can get your cars covered for...all then speak to Admiral and threaten to leave unless they price match..

Admiral own the majority of the small insurers like Sheila’s wheels, Drive like a girl, elephant etc.... when you quote them they will naturally just match that price...

I now have separated my car policies...both of the kids cars are with Admiral or their derivative companies as a multi car policy but both mine and swmbos are with Axa multicar as they were significantly cheaper...

Play the game! Very Happy

Post #18979495th Jan 2018 6:12 pm
Pelyma

England 

I had an up and a downer with Marmalade for my son’s insurance yesterday. He has his own policy to drive my wife’s Yeti so he can build his own no claims bonus up. They want the V5 for the car which hasn’t yet come to us but the dealer gave us the copy of what was sent to DVLA. They, DVLA, say it can take 6 weeks and won’t chase it, Marmalade say that it is a FCA legal requirement that if the documents aren’t received in a set period they must cancel the policy (which isn’t in force yet) so they got it both barrels twucking funts Censored and breathe Laughing

No wonder all these kids drive without insurance Twisted Evil
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #18979665th Jan 2018 6:43 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Why do they need a copy of the V5?

My experience is the same with multicar. Great first few years and then started getting expensive. Cheaper now on my own with my D4.
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #18980235th Jan 2018 9:14 pm
al cope

England 

If the prices arent good at renewal we'll move again, but for this year a saving of 400quid wasnt to be sniffed at

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #18983316th Jan 2018 6:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

We have had Admiral multicar for two years now with 20 year old in a new Adam, it was the first time the renewal price came in far and away the best I could get. I have now added house insurance as they were significantly cheaper than anyone else.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #18983326th Jan 2018 6:14 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just changed my Motor Bike and V5C came within a few days , same with a car earlier in the year, although web side says up to 6 wks. I think that is just to say how good they are when the statistics are published.

Post #18983436th Jan 2018 6:33 pm
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Friend told me Admiral do a young driver policy but you have to ask for it, they got their 18 year old daughter on it and it saved them over £300.

Just been doing some shopping around as daughter turns 17 next week, went on compare the market put in all her details with me and wife on policy too as named drivers said she passed her test day after her birthday, fully comp on 1.3 Suzuki swift 58 plate cheapest was flux direct at £398 followed by Halifax at £650, need to phone up as they seem cheap but if it is right it’s even cheaper than my D4 policy Confused
 Goodyear Duratracs
Pirelli ATR gone
GG AT Gone
RLD Spare wheel protector
Leeds - London weekly return
Club ctek mxs10
Yorkshire 4x4 Response 

Post #18985307th Jan 2018 8:09 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Pelyma wrote:
Marmalade say that it is a FCA legal requirement that if the documents aren’t received in a set period they must cancel the policy (which isn’t in force yet) so they got it both barrels twucking funts Censored and breathe Laughing

No wonder all these kids drive without insurance Twisted Evil

I'd like to see that particular requirement Whistle

Call centre monkey writing internal policy and Chinese whispers as a regulatory requirement shocker Laughing

Edited to add: It's a reasonable request to help dispel any concern of fronting. If the v5 is in your wife's name it adds credence to statements regarding use and ownership. Too many folk (and Paul, I know you're not one of them!) still think insurance is a game, that you can pick and choose how you represent facts to secure lower costs.

Will the insurer not accept the part the dealership handed to you? If they won't, and given well documented poor service from DVLA, their terms are wholly unreasonable and will lead to financial disadvantage (those magic words) if they cancel the policy as any subsequent attempt to insure will carry a significantly higher premium.

Ring them again, speak to a different call centre chimp and try again. If that doesn't work, visit FCA register to get some named individuals and set Twitter and LinkedIn on fire Twisted Evil

Post #18985617th Jan 2018 10:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >