Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Lower steering UJ
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bembo449

Lower steering UJ

Bit miffed we cant buy the lower steering UJ Separately, it does bolt in after all 🙄

Post #213149525th Mar 2020 9:56 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Has to be worth asking a mototr factor if anything else matches?
My local place may well know, but they're closed...

Edit:-
Just searched and found this..it may help you..
https://www.disco4.com/forum/post2126351.html#2126351
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #213149625th Mar 2020 10:01 am
bembo449

I note the part for the older 1 & 2 can be bought seperate but not the 3/4 , i will ask my parts place

Post #213150325th Mar 2020 10:22 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Its not worth the hassle, I have tried to just replace the u/j but its not an option, to many failures as the part is so weak even pressing the new u/j in, the ends can bend just enough to make the joint notchy. I just fit a new one now, although they are expensive.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #213155225th Mar 2020 12:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

If you are replacing the lower steering shaft don't go OE or OEM, I've just had to fit a new one under guarantee as the last one was found to be the cause of my steering wander. It's not just a steering shaft covered in foil, it's a collapsible shaft and that is where the problem is.

When I fitted the shaft last March I began to notice free-play at the steering wheel, but didn't put 2+2 together and subsequently over the last year I've replaced just about every component of the steering system, including the rack, but still had free-play (50mm or 5º).

So this last week end I went through the system piece by piece and finally found the cause of all my problems (and the dodgy steering that was driving me to want to sell up and get something that felt safer on the road).

The non genuine lower steering shaft had 5º play between the inner and outer parts. This doesn't sound like much, but believe me it doesn't half put the wind up you when the car wanders back and forth across the road and doesn't follow the line you steer when cornering (because your playing catchup at the steering wheel.

When my indi' gave me the replacement I checked it for play in the collapsible section and found that right from new there was maybe 2º play. As they had a genuine one in stock I asked to compare it and found there was no discernible movement at all, so though is was £60 dearer I took it and fitted it on Monday.

What a difference, the steering is precise and accurate and feels like new. If ever the lower UJ seizes again it'll be replaced with a genuine one (not that I expect to have to replace it in my tenure).

Post #213162325th Mar 2020 5:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >