Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

LPFP Suspected
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RichardLlanfyllin

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
LPFP Suspected

I've started having the dreaded Limp mode and managed to trace it to acceleration and usually when going up a hill, even a slight hill. It just comes up with transmission fault (big F), HDC etc etc and locks in 3rd gear making completing the hill almost impossible. Stop, switch off and back on and its all fine and can carry on for 100 miles or 1 mile before it drops again.

Had the codes read by two indies and they say it points to the HPFP as it comes up with "Low fuel rail pressure". I've had both EGRs deleted and blanked; a new LR fuel filter (the stumpy one on my model) and still it does it.

I checked the amps on fuse 1 a couple of weeks back and it read a little low at 3.5 but has read as low as 2.9 so I suspect an issue. The pressure on the shrader valve was 5psi so again a bit low. But now when I check it I get ZERO amps. But! I can hear the pump cycle on when I turn the ignition on. So just to try to confuse myself even more, I removed the 25amp fuse from F1 (fuel pump) turned on the ignition and.....the fuel pump cycles! How is this even possible? And the car starts as normal. I haven't taken it for a drive without the fuse.

Does anyone have any ideas what or where I can look for or what I am missing.

Post #215301711th Jun 2020 10:46 am
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds very similar to the situation that I had when the hpfp failed. I could never get descent readings from the low pressure side, the current draw and pressure always seemed low, even after I fitted a new genuine pump. Obviously you don’t want to change the expensive bit unnecessarily, but it sounds more like a classic bad high pressure pump situation to me. Good luck.
 Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #215326712th Jun 2020 9:37 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fuse 1 only disables the 'in tank' bits - everything else will still run unless the relay is faulty or you have a short.

Post #215363513th Jun 2020 12:23 pm
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I have recently been through the same problem which started on a trip throughout OZ.

Fuel Filter: fitted a new quality fuel filter

Fuel rail sensor: the code for that came up and was a common fault in all the limp modes, I purchased a new fuel rail sensor but it proved to be woese than the old one so back to square one

Map sensor: replaced that was a lot better as far as going into limp mode but not a cure.

LPFP: checked that out using Robbies' very detailed post, my amp draw was low so purchased a new LANDROVER fuel pump as was advised to do, fitted it (was a new experience), tested and all was well for amp draw and flow but still had faults to limp mode.

HPFP: So now I had covered all bases except the HPFP, I took the plunge and had that fitted (thought it would be better for my Indie to do it in case anything went wrong). Eureka! all fixed D3 now goes as it should no more limp modes.

Summary: I'm glad that I took the path that I did, by eliminating the less expensive items I ensured the fuel delivery system was all good before replacing the HPFP so hopefully no more problems with that for the foreseeable future.

Cheers
RichardK
 2009 Discovery S 3, BAS tune, EGR Delete, ARB winch bar, Milemarker hyd winch, HF and UHF radios, Rear spare wheel carrier, Roof rack,
Touring: Australian Offroad Matrix IV Camper 

Post #215381514th Jun 2020 2:52 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

well done Richard Thumbs Up

Post #215381614th Jun 2020 3:01 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Thank you, must admit it tested my patience!
 2009 Discovery S 3, BAS tune, EGR Delete, ARB winch bar, Milemarker hyd winch, HF and UHF radios, Rear spare wheel carrier, Roof rack,
Touring: Australian Offroad Matrix IV Camper 

Post #215381714th Jun 2020 3:21 am
RichardLlanfyllin

So......an update and hopefully, problem solved

I had the oil pump go and take out the timing belt so had a rebuild in February. Got the car and immediately it started this limp mode business. Took it back to the indie and they said "says low fuel rail pressure - we've cleared the codes and check it over". Drove off and I thought that the car was less responsive but went 3 months with limping once. There was a oil leak from one rocker but the original garage closed for covid so I took it to another. When I got the car back they said that they had plugged in "loads of stuff" that hadn't been connected. I explained that I'd had the EGR's deleted so never plug them in. However, the sluggishness had gone and it was going like a train....and then limp mode started and again a low pressure warning kept coming back. They check the LPFP and all was fine so the diagnosis was HPFP.

Then I rang a LR indie who said "what makes you think its the HPFP? They hardly ever go. Have you had the codes deleted with a LR scan tool because nearly everything else says its deleted codes but they are still there. He suggested it sounded like a air problem. So I wondered whether the MAF was playing up, so I decided to unplug the MAF and make my way to him some 40 miles away. The car was a little sluggish again! But no limping.

They swapped the MAF and then swapped the old one back as mine was giving identical readings but they said that there was air getting in somewhere and asked why I hadn't blanked the EGRs. I had explained that they were programmed out shut.....then it hit me....during the re-build the valve or valves must have been disturbed and are once again letting gases through. Certainly the boost is down and there are no obvious splits.....so on thursday I'm having them blanked and the butterfly removed and plug the MAF in. The "low fuel rail pressure" codes were indeed old codes from when the belt gave way.

Post #215397114th Jun 2020 7:56 pm
RichardLlanfyllin

Update

I'm only posting a final update as I hate it when you see your issue with a load of suggestions and they don't bother saying "yeah that failed" or "It worked!!!"

So although I had the EGR's deleted, I didn't block them off or remove the butterfly as the garage assured me that the valves were shut. Clearly during the engine re-build that closed position must have been disturbed. I've had the EGR's capped off using BRITPART's kit rather than going for a piece of metal and at the same time, butterfly removed.

The car drives like a train now. Never been so quick. MPG has immediately responded by finally ticking over the 30 and no more limp mode.

Post #215502418th Jun 2020 8:04 pm
Gastón did castelnuovo

Argentina 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Richard! I'm having the same problem after egr replacement and service done. I'm about to buy and replace the HPFP as I've already replaced LPFP. Have you solved the problem after HPFP replacement?

Post #22902814th May 2022 8:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >