Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Have LR really thought about this one-piece tailgate?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
fisherman

Wales 

Has the ability to use the roof gone completely?
I access the roof on my D4 with the current tailgate setup in the closed position. So does it matter if it's a one piece or two piece tailgate? Have LR said that there is going to be no roof rack? Apart from the silly Thule thing they show at present? The weight limit on the existing D4 roof is 100kg istr. Is it different for the 5?
The lower tailgate isn't about removing a few inches for me, I think it's better without a lower tailgate because I never used it and I want to be able to reach right into the boot.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #17281292nd Nov 2016 11:02 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I accept....

The views the existing split tailgate is either right (brilliant idea, useful, FFRR like, essential kit) or wrong (not needed never used, make it a long reach to get to the back etc) equally as we all use our D3/4's in our own ways.
But if it isn't there it can't be used for its intended design purpose.
I really appreciate the fact that items that could roll out don't & the it's possible to close the lower bit & fit long lengths of timber, conduit, site equipment in by closing the
Upper tailgate as far as it can go.....totally not possible on Disco 1's & 2's.
So to me the one attribute of the D3/4 vehicle concept (adaptable load carrying) has been forfeited or sacrificed as it was thought that it wasn't used or didn't need to be there.
If (as I suggested elsewhere) there was a design clinic where existing vehicle owners were asked or polled as to what they did with thier vehicle facts might have appeared that the typical user may not want to fit 6 children or burly sportsmen in every day - but use the vehicle 1 or 2 up, seats all down & loads carried.

I certainly wasn't asked I just wonder if others were ?
Who did they ask ?.....persons not with prior use of vehicles of this type & calibre just wouldnt know or appreciate.....so whatever they (LR) did wasn't representative.

Way back after the introduction of the D4 (to me a grand facelift of the D3) I was phoned by LR marketing to ask if I was "upgrading" to a D4.....& what me considerations were.....I at the time didn't want to shell out on a D4 even though it had a new engine.....more bling....specific & to me significant things not there (rear AC) etc.

In the event of the D5 shortcomings (my list of needs) a recent D4 looks a tempting prospect as even if the D5 "frog" was kissed by the princess it still wouldn't have the bits I not only need but essentially use - daily.....one wonders if when the FFRR updated it too will have a single piece tailgate ? as the same arguements / discussion facts apply.

Stacking things on the roof - I have only done this on D1's as it had roof bars supplied as OE kit....but not being able to add or use roof bars for skis could be an issue for me.

Aft the end of the day - this is an SUV......Sports UTILITY vehicle.....not a fashion statement....it's what it does or can do over what if looks like.....some said way back the design looked tired & needed updating.
This only applies if you are constantly or periodically wanting "new", "the latest" !......even in this case it's not universally seen as being a superior, essential "got to have" item, & not because of a "taste" attribute, but on practical, dimensional factors.

An alternative product is there in place of what's gone before - whatever it is or isn't doesn't down grade or diminish the predecessor vehicles, unless it has all the things + more "better"
To me right now the D3/4 is still a stunning & very capable vehicle that will be seen as a classic vehicle solution in years to come.....sought after, revered, respected.....but quite possibly not bettered by LR
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #17281402nd Nov 2016 11:52 am
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I think the LR logic goes along the lines of the utility-type use of the D3/4 will be catered for by the Defender. The D5 is aimed at the X5 / Q5 market. So how you (and I) use our Discos is not relevant for the D5.
 Andrew  
Post #17281472nd Nov 2016 12:08 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

fisherman wrote:
Has the ability to use the roof gone completely?
I access the roof on my D4 with the current tailgate setup in the closed position. So does it matter if it's a one piece or two piece tailgate? Have LR said that there is going to be no roof rack? Apart from the silly Thule thing they show at present? The weight limit on the existing D4 roof is 100kg istr. Is it different for the 5?
The lower tailgate isn't about removing a few inches for me, I think it's better without a lower tailgate because I never used it and I want to be able to reach right into the boot.

The ability to stand on the tailgate to put bikes (or other stuff) on the roof has gone completely. There are other methods, but I find this the best by some way and it requires no additional equipment - important when we can be towing a horse trailer with associated paraphernalia, and a dog, at the same time. Thumbs Up

It may be better for you since you don't use the tailgate, but look at it this way - with the tailgate, what do you do if you can't reach something? You either kneel on the tailgate or go around and get it from the the other end. Without the tailgate though, what alternantive do we have to replace it? Carry steps, chairs and a table around? It's a much harder problem to solve.

I'm inconvenienced by the tailgate myself sometimes, but a plethora of 10 second inconveniences is nothing compared with the major ones without it, so it is important to me. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17281492nd Nov 2016 12:13 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Why can you not stand on the activity platform?

Post #17281522nd Nov 2016 12:19 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Because of the socking great tailgate above which cannot be closed with it in place! Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17281532nd Nov 2016 12:20 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Ha! Ha! forgot about that!!!! Rolling with laughter

Post #17281552nd Nov 2016 12:24 pm
Florafauna

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I find the split tailgate on the D4 a mixed blessing...

Great to sit on and do stuff on - I recently sawed through 10 lengths of 4x2 on it
Carp to load heavy stuff - I recently carried 10 bags of 25kg sand - throwing then into the back wasnt nice for me or my back.

The best solution would have been, imho, to have the same system as now but with an extra option to drop the lower tailgate entirely vertically downwards - problem solved!

As far as the new D5 is concerned lots of people are having a go at it before they have actually seen it in action - for instance the load volume is supposed to be about 2400litres, up from 2250 in the D4 IIRC.
The off road performance might (should) be even better then the D4. (Get your D4 stuck and get a D5 to tow you out Laughing ).

Until real people use it in the real world you dont really know....
 MegaSTUPID BREXIT
D4 XS MY12 Orkney Grey - nice!
996 turbo cab - a dream come true
VXR220 - Epic Track Car
D2 - V8 - Agricultural bankruptcy but what fun! - Long gone but missed 

Post #17281582nd Nov 2016 12:32 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

The load bay in the D4 is over 2500 litres and a perfectly square shape, with a very large opening. The D5 matches none of these criteria. Seeing one will change nothing.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #17281782nd Nov 2016 1:21 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Quote:
The load bay in the D4 is over 2500 litres and a perfectly square shape, with a very large opening. The D5 matches none of these criteria. Seeing one will change nothing.

No, best not to see one, in case you are wrong!! Rolling with laughter

Post #17281842nd Nov 2016 1:30 pm
Irwin

You cant stand on the rear bumper either to reach the roof. Seems they designed it to prevent roof rail use. With the Irish base spec, you get a 180ps engine, halogens and 5 manual non heated cloth seats. You dont get the activity platform, power tailgate, 7 seats, split transfer box, air suspension, rain sense wipers, auto lights or paint. Maybe this will be a commercial spec, otherwise they ain't gonna sell well here.

Post #17282052nd Nov 2016 2:41 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Florafauna wrote:
I find the split tailgate on the D4 a mixed blessing...

The best solution would have been, imho, to have the same system as now but with an extra option to drop the lower tailgate entirely vertically downwards - problem solved!

Good idea, especially if it cleared the towbar (if applicable). Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #17282222nd Nov 2016 3:21 pm
Florafauna

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks LT. It would stop you bashing your shins on the tow bar as well. Double whammy! Probably beyond LRs engineering capabilities these days though..

Aha, just looked up the boot volume for the D4 IS over 2500. I was wrong.
So then it does appear that the D5 is a worthless piece of carp.

Big Cry
 MegaSTUPID BREXIT
D4 XS MY12 Orkney Grey - nice!
996 turbo cab - a dream come true
VXR220 - Epic Track Car
D2 - V8 - Agricultural bankruptcy but what fun! - Long gone but missed 

Post #17282312nd Nov 2016 3:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >