DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

LR044024 body door seal rubber
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bmbmdmb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
LR044024 body door seal rubber

Hello all,

The rubber driver's door seal on the body (not the actual door, although there is one on the door too) is worn and holed.

I believe the part number is LR044024 - price seems to be £90 plus

Has anyone sourced a lower priced aftermarket seal or made one up themselves using generic part?

If not I think the black sealant is coming out and leave door open until it sets.

Thanks
[/list]

Post #23324155th Apr 2023 6:59 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

That’s an RRS part… for the D3/D4 you probably want LR037755 (which superseded CFE500720) instead, see https://new.lrcat.com/#!/12728/54909/55082/4389/55097

I don’t think there are any third party seals unfortunately.

Post #23324175th Apr 2023 7:15 pm
bmbmdmb

Thank you. I think you are correct about part number
£70 for D4 seal

Just found this one £42 delivered. Might be aftermarket?

https://genuinemotors.co.uk/products/land-...5-lr037756

Ps I don't work for them.

Another site island 4x4 suggested the OEM is poor quality and you are paying for the brand (which is on the packaging that goes in bin).

Last edited by bmbmdmb on 5th Apr 2023 7:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23324225th Apr 2023 7:31 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

You could take your chance on a second hand one from a scrapped D4 - plenty on eBay for more sensible money. I put a new one on mine last time it went but it’s only worth it if you plan to keep the car for a few years.

Post #23324255th Apr 2023 7:37 pm
bmbmdmb

Keeping car a while. Been in family since 2009....

I got reminded when making an order up when looking for new front brake carrier bolts as vehicle is due its first front brake disc and pad change. The wear sensor on brakes is quite conservative. I think there would be 3mm on pads before sensor gets wrecked, so changing a little earlier to avoid hassle of replacing a nearly new wear sensor that broke when cleaning brakes and respray etc.

Thanks

Post #23324305th Apr 2023 7:46 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

bmbmdmb wrote:
Just found this one £42 delivered. Might be aftermarket? Another site island 4x4 suggested the OEM is poor quality and you are paying for the brand (which is on the packaging that goes in bin).

The description says it’s an aftermarket one. IDK… I doubt the JLR rubber is so much better so I’d probably try the aftermarket one. Mr. Green Whistle

Post #23324395th Apr 2023 8:25 pm
sarumlight

Glad to hear of another one that’s well loved and looked after! I dropped off my original set of wheels for refurbishing yesterday, and I’ve just been looking up the part number for a missing screw in the trim in the back that I think is causing a rattle!

Post #23324405th Apr 2023 8:25 pm
sarumlight

When we had the factory tour a few years back I noticed they warmed the seals before fitting them. Makes it easier to get them curved around the corners right.

Post #23324415th Apr 2023 8:27 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Interesting! How did they warm them? Hot water?

I need to replace these. The felt bit is badly worn
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #23325796th Apr 2023 4:42 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had to send two door seals back to the suppliers as they were both split on arrival... both suppliers knew there were issues with them, second time they checked before sending out
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23325866th Apr 2023 6:11 pm
bmbmdmb

Thank you for replies.

I'm going to order. I'll report back if ok. The description hints it can be used for rear door body seal if cut, so probably not got all the bends like OEM. I'll have a hair dryer to soften if needed.

I use Shin Etsy on rubber seals which does not rot them but stops them drying out. Made by Honda for S2000 sports car convertible apparently. This seal on LR seems to have got wrecked due to rubbing when getting out a tight spot (garage or supermarket car parks)

Tell me about rattles. Just finished replacing rear shocks on an Astra today. I've ruled out everything else that could cause the rattle despite the shocks appearing to work in a similar way to new Bilsteins off the car and no fluid leaks and low mileage. The rattle has gone. I went to extra effort of tightening KO (on ground, level with wheels back on and jack's removed).

The White Line poly bush in rear axle is fitted on the Astra. To be honest it has put me off fitting to the D4 when it needs doing. The D4 is not for throwing into corners so handling is not as important consideration as it is for a sporty car. Comfort and ride quality provided by rubber bushes might be the way to go for the D4 along with its air suspension. Opinions?

PS looking after cars - my first car is still registered and has done 28 years service, although from MOTs it has fared better under my ownership. I sold it on after 14years. M271TUA
Citroen air suspension spheres needed replacement both sides of axle every 3 or 4 years (20 k miles). From a maintenance point of view it was problematic. The D4 air suspension has lasted much better.
Someone told me the green spheres are same tech as in the Citroen D5 from 70s as used in 90s Xantia .

Post #23325916th Apr 2023 7:02 pm
bmbmdmb

Fitted the £42 door frame inner seal today. Spot on length and the rubber feels firmer, better quality than the original one.

Post #233341715th Apr 2023 10:28 pm
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Door seal leaking

I think I have an issue similar to these, the channel in the side of the floor on drivers side was full of water I syphoned out about 750ml with a large syringe, I had similar happen on passenger side & after far too long I worked out with the help of this forum it was sunroof drain, I brought a new tube but just changed the elbow on the bottom, not the whole tube, thinking the latest water issue was drain tube again I sealed up the sunroof with insulating tape, but hey presto it still kept filling up. I noticed that the inner door seal (on the body) was wet when it rained & water was then running off inside & under the carpet. I’m trying something to see if I can fix it for free, the front of the body seal when the door is shut is not squashed flat by the door as it closes it is pushed forward, this appears to allow any water that gets in higher up to run down this seal & get inside the car once in it can’t get back out so just runs over the flock part of the seal & fills up the floor. I’m trying something (don’t know if it will work) it hasn’t rained yet, but I polished the inner part of the door where the front vertical part of the seal comes into contact, I also used the same polish on the seal itself hoping that by making both parts slippery it would push past the seal & not push it forward & distort it. I’ll post again once we have had some more rain to update this post.
Tom

Post #233494928th Apr 2023 8:06 pm
bmbmdmb

Ref - sunroof drain pipe. I had a similar issue on a Skoda Octavia 3 - the drain pipe gets a black mould like what grows on silicone, washing machine seals, etc. I bought a brush on a thin, long metal handle, like straw cleaners, from Amazon. I think a few £. It worked. I managed to get the brush all the way from the bottom of windscreen to the drain at the sunroof and repeated in the other corner. Most of the blockage which narrowed the tube was at the bottom under windscreen. The dealer replaced the sunroof seal at great cost under warranty. The line diagrams indicated it was a single tube, but in reality it is two separate tubes. I had quite a lot of water (1 litre in footwell) if parked on a slope so that the blocked drain was used.

I think it is worth a try for your discovery.

Post #233496028th Apr 2023 10:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >