DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

LR3 - 3 flat tyres!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
OBD

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3
LR3 - 3 flat tyres!

Very Happy .................................... Big Cry

I am a new entry to the LR club and so far enjoying the drive! Recently I took my LR3 V6 4.0L on a trip into the desert utilising the standard fitted tyres (Goodyear Wrangler) and deflated them to 16PSi. By the end of the fairly mild 35km trip wih the me4x4 club three of the tyres were shot (sidewall slits). I have returned them to manufacturer for comment but so far they are not taking any responsibility. What do you suppose went wrong!?

Any suggestions, if I need to replace the tyres, on more suitable desert tyres that maintain the vehicle warranty?

Post #36505826th Oct 2008 4:04 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Welcome to the site ... Thumbs Up

I personaly wouldn't have let road tyres down like that and drive on them ...obviously all the weight is on the sidewalls Shocked

I have a set of AT2 's which have quite a strong sidewall ...although we dont have much sand to play around in here in the UK Sad
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #36506326th Oct 2008 4:15 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You have a good choice of tyres in the UAE - get some better ones. What size rims do you have?

Depending on rim size, you can get Nitto Dune Grapplers or Terra Grapplers; Cooper Zeon LTZ or Discoverer ST, General Grabber AT2, BF Goodrich AT etc.

Post #36508226th Oct 2008 5:24 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

The Wranglers suck in most conditions other than tar . I lost 2 in quick succession doing only mild off roading . I now have BFG rugged terrain as my "road tyres" and theya re also good in sand

Post #36508426th Oct 2008 5:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had constant putures with my Wranglers on gravel roads.
Have Cooper HT+s now, only one puncture since (in the city, a screw to ehe edge of the tread)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36532327th Oct 2008 12:40 am
OBD

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

Thanks for the feedback, so far! Smile

Jonty, I have 18" rims with 255/60's. A fellow LR3'r replaced his standard tyres with Pirelli 285/55's and said they catch v-slightly at full wheel lock and sometimes when deflated, but otherwise v-happy. Very Happy Very Happy
Any other suggestions? Question

Hey Wiggs it is fairly normal to run at low pressures here due to heat and soft sand - so when you making a trip here?

Latest feedback from tyre manufacturer is that tyres were "ok". Anyone got experience with problem tyres due to long standarding in warehouse prior to sale - a last shot at proving tyres were defective! Rolling Eyes

Post #36550427th Oct 2008 6:17 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ISTR that tyres have about a 3 year storage 'shelf' life but I'm sure AJS4x4 would be able to confirm. Certainly there's a date indicator onthe side of european tyres to say when the tyre was made.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #36550927th Oct 2008 6:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

OBD wrote:
Hey Wiggs it is fairly normal to run at low pressures here due to heat and soft sand - so when you making a trip here?

I'm with Wiggs here.....16psi is way too low for driving 35km on a road tyre in a 2700kg 4x4....

It's pretty low even for an AT tyre with strengthened side-walls (BFG AT or Grabber AT2 as examples), but for a road tyre Shocked

Saying that, I think it'd be ok to drop it down like this if you get stuck at some point, but only that....certainly not for sustained driving - 35km is quite a long way and the tyre walls on these tyres are simply not designed to support this type of treatment.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're going to have a hard job convincing them that they were defective when you've treated them in this way. Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #36552427th Oct 2008 6:52 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

16 psi is not unusual for sand driving. You should pump them up before geting back on the black top. It is the heat buid up at speed that does the damage.
Better tyres with strobger side walls would be better.
The Wranglers were never meant for serious work. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36562327th Oct 2008 9:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >